Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can vagal afibbers still vomit?

Posted by Pompon 
September 15, 2022 07:01AM
It may sound like a stupid question, but I 'd like to know if it's a common consequence of vagal afib : I may be sick as a dog, I'm now not able to vomit. I may feel a bit nauseous, but nothing more.
My mother, who had afib, often said she had the same issue.
Re: Can vagal afibbers still vomit?
September 15, 2022 08:42AM
For over a decade if I started to vomit (usually once a year), I would get someone to drive me right away to a local ER less than a mile away. The vomiting was not at all urgent to even consider the ER-it was absolutely nothing—but I always went into 180-190hr afib afterwards and wanted the proof of being first in nsr to get ecv. I was never in flutter then but afib. They knew me at the er and would just hook me up to telemetry and I would not wait long and they would come in when my heart was pounding and tell me I’m in afib. I always got afib after vomiting that would not convert and I would end up getting zapped.

That was before Eliquis and I needed to prove I was in nsr the prior 48 hours. Now I vomit more often-every 3-4 months and with all the arrhythmia drugs I’m on, I don’t go into afib so I just ignored the vomiting in nsr. Now my triggers are bending over, slouching, squatting, and not in a straight posture when sitting. I would consider myself vagal.
September 15, 2022 03:57PM
It's extremely difficult for my wife to vomit. I can count maybe once or twice in the 45 years I've known her. And she doesn't have so much as a hint of afib and I doubt she ever will.
September 15, 2022 05:01PM
Interesting question. I'm sick (of any kind) very infrequently and haven't really thought about it. I recall getting throwing up on a SCUBA diving trip a month or so before my first ever afib episode. As well a few other times before that as an adult associated with sickness. One time in Mexico going out both ends associated with bad seafood. I think I might have had that since afib started as well. As a much younger person, I certainly could vomit associated with excess alcohol intake.
September 16, 2022 03:47AM
GeorgeN
As a much younger person, I certainly could vomit associated with excess alcohol intake.

Same for me.
The strange thing is I've always thought vomiting was a way for my stomach to get rid of some excess (drink, food), likely induced by the liver. I don't know, that's my understanding.
I was bloated, belching or vomiting was the way it went.
Now, excess is very little things I can't identify, since I avoid all kinds of excess, but the bloated sensation appears, and belching is the relief. If I can't, it's AFib. No vomiting at all for six years.
There are contagious viral infections, sometimes, inducing GI reactions. Typically, family, friends and relatives may suffer from the same infection. I may have to run to the toilet too, but no vomiting at all.
September 22, 2022 02:21PM

Absolutely.

Just watch network TV while eating fast food.
September 23, 2022 06:32AM
Yes, yes and yes.
Especially if something makes me really nauseous. Like finding half a cockroach in my take away roll…the other half I’d digested. And I’m a vegatarian to boot. Ugh, almost threw up thinking about it.😜
September 23, 2022 08:40AM
Hahaha. Thanks for your answers.
We're all decidedly very different.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login