Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

zinc/copper imbalance

Posted by LynnJ 
zinc/copper imbalance
September 03, 2022 01:52PM
I haven't posted in quite a number of years. Thanks to advice on this website, except for increased afib episodes following a couple of viral infections, I have managed to limit my afib episodes to 3-5 times a year, 2-6 hours each. I have been using taurine and magnesium taurate and have been cautious with other supplements. I monitor myself closely for signs of problems, keep a journal, and strictly limit free glutamate and histamine in my diet . My best period was 2015-2017 during which time I had only one episode in three years! I am very grateful!

This year, your advice saved me again. I was having slightly more episodes of afib and unusual ectopic beats. The ectopic beats began evenings, then also after meals, and then off and on all day and night. They consisted of runs of 1-4 beats followed by a pause, repeated a number of times, then NSR, then start over again. Very disconcerting. I came on your website and saw the article about copper imbalance. I had been taking zinc as a preventive during covid, so I stopped the zinc and ate foods high in copper and slowly my ectopic beats decreased. Finally, after about two weeks, they stopped and 2 months later have not returned! Can't thank you all enough!

I have come to the conclusion that I am very sensitive to anything that upsets balance in my body. Managing my afib requires constant vigilance.. Arrythmia is my warning I am out of balance.
Re: zinc/copper imbalance
September 04, 2022 05:32PM
Very interesting. I too am taking Zinc + i have been getting a few more ectopic beats then i would care for these days + mostly in bed.....around a few dozen to a few hundred. I also take a lot of other supl. also + have been reintroducing them 2 at a time each day to see if 1 might be the culprit. Well because of this post Zinc will be out of my supl. for 2 weeks to see if that makes a dif. like it did for you Lynn......so i will give you an update in 2 weeks. BTW i get a good amount of copper in my diet via 90% dark choc. + other foods so that part is fine.

TY Lynn
September 04, 2022 06:53PM
ok this is weird. so explain why on the zinc? I have taken on and off but my dad is in the hosptial and I am back and forth in and out so I was making sure I took it daily. Been having more in the evening. I am about 3 months out from ablation so there's that. I had thought D had bothered me in the past but now zinc...should I start eating pennies?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2022 06:53PM by bettylou4488.
September 04, 2022 07:17PM
Ok Betty lets do this together on the same day....NO ZINC FOR 2 WEEKS starting today or monday + we will both check back not next weekend but the weekend after either sat or sun bumping this thread + both report how we are doing....DEAL?
September 04, 2022 07:30PM
there was a detailed article in the newsletter on this website, but I can't figure out how to find it right now. I think it was in June. It explains the zinc copper balance and why too much zinc and not enough copper can lead to increased ectopic beats. I was amazed when I read it and immediately stopped zinc supplements. What is strange is that I had been craving quinoa, which is apparently one of the best sources of copper. It worked for me. Hope it works for you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2022 07:32PM by LynnJ.
September 04, 2022 09:08PM
vanlith
Ok Betty lets do this together on the same day....NO ZINC FOR 2 WEEKS starting today or monday + we will both check back not next weekend but the weekend after either sat or sun bumping this thread + both report how we are doing....DEAL?

well going in and out of the hosptial has me a little wigged to not do it LOL. Plus I am at the 3 month mark but yes! I will try. may not be scientific but I like this kind of "science". hahaha
September 04, 2022 09:10PM
LynnJ
there was a detailed article in the newsletter on this website, but I can't figure out how to find it right now. I think it was in June. It explains the zinc copper balance and why too much zinc and not enough copper can lead to increased ectopic beats. I was amazed when I read it and immediately stopped zinc supplements. What is strange is that I had been craving quinoa, which is apparently one of the best sources of copper. It worked for me. Hope it works for you!

funny I have been craving quinoa too.. and it doesn't even agree with me and if I overdo it packs on the lbs. I was thinking the other day- I gotta get more quinoa.. gotta get more quinoa. so this will skew the "study" that Vanlith and I are doing but I am going to get me a bag of quinoa tomorrow. I just have a wee bit left in my bag. OH! and I just thought how I have been away from home helping dad so eating is different (lots of salads.. but .. well wait.. I did have quinoa on a boxed salad yesterday but not a lot.). IDK! LOL.
September 07, 2022 09:00AM
Zinc became very popular during covid due to the spurious ionophore story from Mudcram. If you take zinc, it's important to know it depletes copper. Jarrow zinc balance has a 15:1 ratio of zinc to copper.
September 07, 2022 01:02PM
Thanks Paven
I was told recently to take zinc when I had covid. I didn’t know about depleting copper when taking it.
September 07, 2022 03:29PM
I have found MedCram to be quite useful, although I don't recall Seheult telling his viewers to top up one's copper concomitantly. It was the same for statin prescription; nothing whatsoever about the fact that it also blocks the body's production of CoQ10.
September 22, 2022 05:07PM
In contrast to the current belief that cholesterol reduction with statins decreases
atherosclerosis, we present a perspective that statins may be causative in coronary artery
calcification and can function as mitochondrial toxins that impair muscle function in the heart
and blood vessels through the depletion of coenzyme Q10 and ‘heme A’, and thereby ATP
generation. Statins inhibit the synthesis of vitamin K2, the cofactor for matrix Gla-protein
activation, which in turn protects arteries from calcification.
Statins inhibit the biosynthesis of
selenium containing proteins, one of which is glutathione peroxidase serving to suppress
peroxidative stress. An impairment of selenoprotein biosynthesis may be a factor in congestive
heart failure, reminiscent of the dilated cardiomyopathies seen with selenium deficiency.
Thus, the epidemic of heart failure and atherosclerosis that plagues the modern world may
paradoxically be aggravated by the pervasive use of statin drugs.

[www.tandfonline.com]
September 22, 2022 05:09PM
In high doses zinc may cause copper deficiency, a diagnosis that is often missed resulting in anaemia, neutropenia and irreversible neurological symptoms.

Conclusions: Zinc deficiency is frequently misdiagnosed on the basis of low plasma zinc concentrations. The potential risk of copper deficiency developing in patients prescribed high doses of zinc is apparently infrequently considered. It is probable that a significant minority of patients prescribed with high doses of zinc develop iatrogenic copper deficiency.

[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login