Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flutter showing up as SVT on Zio Patch?

Posted by bneedell 
Flutter showing up as SVT on Zio Patch?
September 02, 2022 02:48AM
Afib ablation on May 16 ...now EP has told me they recommend another ablation for flutter...recent Zio shows <1% flutter but a bunch of SVT ...short but often up and down., especially evenings. Have you ever heard of a Zio calling it SVT when it really is flutter? thanks
Re: Flutter showing up as SVT on Zio Patch?
September 02, 2022 01:26PM
I'm not familiar with the device in question, but technically flutter is SVT. Any abnormally fast rate above the ventricles is 'supra-ventricular', by definition. If it's too fast, it's in the tachy range. Atrial flutter meets both criteria.
September 02, 2022 03:10PM
Gloaming is right; flutter is SVT. It's just common convention to refer to flutter separately from the other three forms (AT, AVNRT, AVRT) so you won't usually hear atrial flutter (AFL) referred to as SVT in common lingo or even on many web sites that should know better (I see that Mayo omits flutter entirely in their discussion about SVT). But it's not surprising that Zio shows it as SVT because it doesn't have the leads necessary to distinguish AFL from the other forms of SVT. That's also true of a standard Kardia, Apple Watch, etc -- anything with just one or two leads.
September 02, 2022 08:35PM
Thanks so much to you both...this site is has been so very helpful to me.
September 06, 2022 05:48PM
My resting heart rate has also gone up from the 60s to the 80s is this something that another ablation might help?
September 06, 2022 08:30PM
bneedell
My resting heart rate has also gone up from the 60s to the 80s is this something that another ablation might help?

No. It's perfectly normal for your resting heart rate to be elevated following an ablation and it can take a surprisingly long time to return to its former baseline, sometimes upwards of a year. So you don't need to do anything about it. It's normal and completely harmless.
September 07, 2022 12:55AM
thanks! Is it appropriate for me to get a "second opinion" before another ablation? Have others done this?
September 07, 2022 01:24AM
It's always appropriate to get a second, third, and even fourth opinions. Of course others have done that. Wish I'd done more of it way back when. But don't just seek out random opinions. Find the EPs with the most afib ablation experience that you can and seek their opinions. The fresh young doctor who's done zero ablations on his own so far will most likely strongly advise you to let him do one. So will the EP who's done merely hundreds. You don't want those opinions. You want opinions from the ones who've done thousands.
September 07, 2022 10:22AM
Sadly, the good EP is likely not the guy next door.
It wasn't for me and for some, here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login