Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Worth Noting: More on the importance of Vitamin D and Vitamin K….

Posted by Jackie 
Worth Noting: More on the importance of Vitamin D and Vitamin K….
August 19, 2022 11:08AM
A report titled Reduce Your Risk of Arterial Stiffness published in the March/April 2018 issue of Life Extension magazine contains relevant points about these nutrients supported by 52 study references and is also available online.
[www.lifeextension.com]

Jackie
Re: Worth Noting: More on the importance of Vitamin D and Vitamin K….
August 19, 2022 02:08PM
FYI. The amount of Vitamin K2 from one packet of Natto is approx. 400 to 500 mcg
August 19, 2022 06:15PM
Years ago, I was diagnosed with a 'soy sensitivity' based on lab testing and the visual appearance of 'itchy arm' skin lesions.  I had been consuming various types of available soy products after reading about the many benefits 
So much for that for me.  I was instructed to avoid soy and learn to scrutinize labels for soy contents which I still do.  No skin problems since.... but, regrettable, because I had found some products that were tasty, a satisfying protein and listed as a healthy choice.  Plus, there are many benefits of soy, especially in the Nattokinase form and I totally honor that. As you point out, Colin... the dose amount provided is huge.

Since then, I learned about many people with similar soy 'issues' so I have been content to learn to live without soy consumption.  It's interesting that I can take nattokinase supplements without a reaction, just not natto 'food.' . 

Previous posts about my very low vitamin D levels and the painful, weak muscle symptoms explained that even with a variety of medical consults, appropriate testing was not done which would have identified the source of the problem via the low D levels.  Then, along came my angel, a Board-certified Practitioner of  Functional Medicine MD, new to the area, who immediately suspected and tested vitamin D.

Once confirmed, the protocol was to increase vitamin D3 dosing along with companion vitamin K.      At first, it was not in the K2 MK7 form but, eventually, the MK 7 prevailed and that's what increased my bone density test results to 'optimal' (eliciting a mini 'victory dance' by my FM MD.)

With this LEF report emphasizing the helpfulness of Vitamin D and MK7 supplements for 'arterial stiffness,'  I wanted to call attention to the choices and options and emphasize the importance of this 'synergy.'   This report from 2018 lists 57 supporting study references.  Undoubtedly, by now, there are more.  

I like the subtitle of one segment on Vitamin K... listed as "Teflon for your Arteries"... and the whole report is worth reading.

Jackie
Que
August 22, 2022 04:47AM
what is the best supplement form of natto?

q
August 22, 2022 04:56PM
I have learned to watch for anything that contains soy because I get Aura Migraines when I consume it. Since I have been diligent in this effort I have not had any aura migraines for almost 4 months. In my opinion Soy is not a good food and should be avoided.
August 24, 2022 03:40PM
I wonder if anyone has ideas about why Life Extension, the source of the interesting article Jackie refers us to, only provides 100 mCg of K2-7 in its Super K supplement (see below). But it has 45 mg in its Mega K supplement, which is quite expensive.

What is a good dosage of K2-7? Is it necessary to take K1 as well?

Thanks, Lance

Super K:

Vitamin K1 (as phytonadione): 1500 mcg
Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-4): 1000 mcg
Vitamin K2 (as trans menaquinone-7):100 mcg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2022 04:50PM by ln108.
August 24, 2022 04:29PM
I use an MK-7 supplement made by NOW and each capsule has 100 mcg.
August 27, 2022 11:56AM
ln108
I wonder if anyone has ideas about why Life Extension, the source of the interesting article Jackie refers us to, only provides 100 mCg of K2-7 in its Super K supplement (see below). But it has 45 mg in its Mega K supplement, which is quite expensive.

What is a good dosage of K2-7? Is it necessary to take K1 as well?

Thanks, Lance

Super K:

Vitamin K1 (as phytonadione): 1500 mcg
Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-4): 1000 mcg
Vitamin K2 (as trans menaquinone-7):100 mcg

This is the product I take (also pricey) and it has a good explanation of the various forms: [www.k-vitamins.com]
also [www.k-vitamins.com]

I know that Mk-4 is normally dosed in mg and Mk-7 in mcg The product I linked has 500 mcg Mk-7, 25 mg Mk-4 and 5000 mg of K-1 I think Mk-7 has a longer half life than Mk-4.
August 27, 2022 01:08PM
Thanks, George. So the Life Extension Super K has 100 mcg MK-7, the K-Vitamins.com product has 500 mcg, the Life Extension Mega K as 45 mg. Interesting.

I note that the MicroBiome Labs MegaQuinone K2-7 product, also expensive, has 320 mcg in the recommended 2 capsule daily does, along with K1 and other supposedly related nutrients. So the 45 mg dose is an outlier.

All best,

Lance
September 05, 2022 02:13AM
So no one is concerned about K1 inclusion in the K combo supplements? -- I assumed K1 is contraindicated if one is on anticoagulants. (Maybe this would not be true for the newer class of anticogulants. --I take Xarelto for instance).
September 05, 2022 10:57AM
californiagal
So no one is concerned about K1 inclusion in the K combo supplements? -- I assumed K1 is contraindicated if one is on anticoagulants. (Maybe this would not be true for the newer class of anticogulants. --I take Xarelto for instance).

No problem with vitamin K if you are in the new generation of anticoagulants—only Coumadin.
September 08, 2022 08:08AM
Note: EVOO significantly increases absorption of MK7 see:[www.afibbers.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login