Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium Threonate and afib

Posted by bettylou4488 
Magnesium Threonate and afib
August 17, 2022 01:16AM
The one supplement I take every single day without fail is Mg. I take a variety of sources (glycerinate, orotate, etc..). My husband was listening to a podcast and heard of Magnesium Threonate and it was being described as being very helpful for sleep. I wondered if anyone used this one way or another and how it gelled with the other traditional types of Magnesium and afib (ie as helpful). I am currently maxed out on my Mg I feel (bowels). But my sleep is stinky and thought this would be easy enough to try- anyone have any thoughts?
thanks.
Re: Magnesium Threonate and afib
August 17, 2022 05:16PM
bettylou, I tried threonate a number of years ago because it is supposed to be good for sleep (as you mentioned) & the brain. I noticed no difference. On a per gram of Mg basis, threonate is very expensive for me, since I need to take so much Mg. However I had no issue combining with other forms & likely would not be an issue for you.
August 17, 2022 07:04PM
thanks GeorgeN. I might buy one month worth and just try. But I won't get a years worth LOL.
August 19, 2022 06:41PM
bettylou - About 9 mos. ago, and after reading about the many benefits of the threonate form of magnesium, I decided to try it at bedtime. My typical trio was magnesium bisglycinate, half a 1 mg. tablet of melatonin and PharmaGaba - half a tablet. I had read about the brain benefits of magnesium threonate and decided to substitute the threonate form for the bisglycinate. The results were amazing in that (while my sleep had been typically very good) the switch to the threonate was 'excellent.' Now, I fall asleep very rapidly and stay asleep until early morning... prox 6 am.

Since I am now 86 y/o, I wanted to support brain function for the obvious reasons. With this trio, I fall asleep quickly, stay asleep and there is no residual effect at all...other than I feel very good and ready to start the day when I wake up. I've shared this with several friends who were having sleep issues and they concur. (I still take other forms of magnesium during the day... mainly magnesium bisglycinate).

Now, that said... Obviously, we are all biochemically and biophysically unique; and often, what works wonders for some will not be as useful for others, but I definitely think it's worth mentioning to our group.

Be well and stay safe.

Jackie
August 21, 2022 06:19PM
My experience was like George's. Expensive, noted no difference. But maybe it is the whole combo that works - like Jackie takes.

Melatonin even 0.5 mg gives me a hangover in the morning (like Benadryl/diphenhydramine would do - does not agree with me. A senior dose sleeping pill, however, gives me no side effects that I can feel! I vary my magnesium types & now taking Jigsaw MagSRt wh has malate & other vit B stuff & Advanced Mag wh is chelated glycinate & malate, some at lunch & dinner & nearer bedtime too. I usually wake during night no matter what & that is when I usually take the sleep. pill.
August 21, 2022 08:23PM
Madeline
My experience was like George's. Expensive, noted no difference.

My experience too.
August 21, 2022 09:11PM
Hi Madeline - Sorry my concoction doesn't work for you. I find it to be rapid and extremely beneficial...but as I noted... we are all different.

The one thing I also note is that I absolutely cannot miss my regular doses of magnesium (in a variety of forms) including the bisglycinate. I feel fortunate to have found a combo that works well for my body's requirements and keeps my heart so calm after Dr. Natale's 'magic' in 2015.

In addition to the magnesium, I take a number of other supplements (determined by NutraEval lab testing) that help me maintain good health as well.

Jackie
August 21, 2022 09:19PM
I just noticed the few more responses on here. I got my Mg Threeonate and may try tonight but I just took my regular Mg and my well.. I'm more than regular so I will wait and not take my regular Mg tomorrow. But anyone try apigenin? I got that as well and may try it tonight.
Que
August 22, 2022 04:51AM
i find sleep hygiene does the trick

this app is very helpful as it teaches you how to optimize your circadian rhythm

[apps.apple.com]
August 22, 2022 01:10PM
Que
i find sleep hygiene does the trick

this app is very helpful as it teaches you how to optimize your circadian rhythm

[apps.apple.com]

thanks I will take a look. I took part in some CBT-I therapy at the hosptial- it is brutal to get started though.
August 25, 2022 06:04AM
I take Mag L-Threonate and Theanine as sleep aid as I did not want to continue to use Melatonin. My sleep seems better now than with the Melatonin and I have not experienced any ill effects.
August 26, 2022 05:17AM
I know we're all different, but everytime time I thought any supplement I tried for a while was efficient was pure coincidence.
My EP once said Mg supplementation wouldn't have any effect on my afib.
At least, in my case, good Mg forms can do me no harm (confirmed by my cardiologist), so I carry on taking them each day. If anything, they help avoiding constipation...
September 18, 2022 07:15PM
Just to put in my two cents on Magnesium L- Threonate. I recenlty bought Life Extension's Neuro-Mag which has 48 mg/ capsule. Although the recomendation is 3 caps for 144 mg /day, I started with one cap. The next day I could feel sensations in my brain. Not bad, not good, but since I had petit mal epilepsy in childhood, I watch any brain sensations. I take lots of different kinds of magnesium---malate, orotate, glycinate and bis-glycinate (always wondered what the differnce in the two glycinates is, but never had time to google). I like the idea of the threonate helping the brain, so I'll take it on and off.... but just wanted to verify that for me, it did something in my brain....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login