Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ins Coverage for Watchman?

Posted by Madeline 
Ins Coverage for Watchman?
August 08, 2022 08:57PM
Hi, Briefly I have to go back to TCAI in a few months & have a TEE & if my function of my left atrial appendage is not adequate, I will have to have a Watchman put in then too. I seem to remember Carey talking about specific issues only for coverage by ins so far with regard to Watchman, not like anyone can have one put in. Thanks. I will check in again soon.
Re: Ins Coverage for Watchman?
August 15, 2022 08:50AM
When I was in the process of being scheduled for my Watchman in Feb of this year, Dr. Natale's scheduler told me they would not schedule it until they had received approval from all insurance companies that they would cover the procedure. As part of completing the preliminaries I was even interviewed by a physician from St. David's, a doctor who does not do the procedure, asking lots of questions about my medical history and, I guess because of my age, was specifically concerned with me falling, In my case there was no problem with Medicare and my secondary payer, Tricare For Life, because I am a retired Marine.
August 15, 2022 09:11AM
JayBros
When I was in the process of being scheduled for my Watchman in Feb of this year, Dr. Natale's scheduler told me they would not schedule it until they had received approval from all insurance companies that they would cover the procedure. As part of completing the preliminaries I was even interviewed by a physician from St. David's, a doctor who does not do the procedure, asking lots of questions about my medical history and, I guess because of my age, was specifically concerned with me falling, In my case there was no problem with Medicare and my secondary payer, Tricare For Life, because I am a retired Marine.

Thank you for that. I have subsequently received information from Saint Davis that it will go just as you were saying. There are steps to go through the eventual process of getting approved if one needs it. If approved I have no doubt my Medicare and supplement will pay also.
August 15, 2022 11:27AM
Yeah, you'll be fine. Insurance will only balk if you just decide you want one without compelling medical reasons. A poorly functioning LAA is a compelling medical reason.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login