Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Electrophysiologist in the Novant Health system in N.C.

Posted by Ken 
Ken
Electrophysiologist in the Novant Health system in N.C.
May 05, 2022 11:50AM
A bit of reach here, but I have a niece the lives in Wilmington, NC. She is 23 and has been having frequent bouts of 160+ heart rate issues. It's a regular rate and not likely afib. She must find a Dr. in the Novant Health system because of insurance issues (Novant is only in NC). She has seen a Cardiologist that has determined that she does not have a "plumbing" issue, and for her to see her GP. No mention of seeing an Electrophysiologist. Need I say more. I have generated a list of all the EPs in Wilmington, Winston-Salem (her home) and High Point for her to check out. It seems as though she may need an ablation once she knows what is going on, or at least, a minimum of a topflight EP.

Does anyone know of a very good, experienced ablation Dr. in the Novant system? There are more EPs in Charlotte, but that's not too convenient, but it's not out of the question.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2022 11:54AM by Ken.
Re: Electrophysiologist in the Novant Health system in N.C.
May 05, 2022 03:10PM
I could make a recommendation for a good EP in the Raleigh/Durham area but I think the Novant restriction rules him out.
May 05, 2022 08:19PM
Please recognize that my data is almost six years old but based on recent email conversation with Shannon it has not changed. In 2016 when I talked with him about an electrophysiologist near where I live, outside of Charlotte, the nearest "top flight" EP was in Philadelphia, none in NC, none in Atlanta. By top flight I assume too you're talking about someone who has done thousands of ablations. That's why I travel to Austin and TCAI. My "plumber" is a Novant cardiologist in Charlotte and my EP is Dr. Natale.
Ken
May 06, 2022 01:32PM
Thanks guys, she has to stay with Novant, but since I am in the Raleigh area, Carey's recommendation I might need down the road if my afib comes back - again. It's been 2 years since my last ablation, and all is good.

The issue now is what is the cause of her high heart rate and arrythmia? I talked to her yesterday, and she said that she gets out of breath and lightheaded when it happens (a few times a month) and feels tired a lot. Her Cardiologist is going to do more tests, but I don't know what he will do. Sounds to me more like afib, but does that happen to such young girls? Could it be flutter and if so, how is that fixed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2022 01:34PM by Ken.
May 06, 2022 02:20PM
JayBros
By top flight I assume too you're talking about someone who has done thousands of ablations.

Look at my post again. See the link? I don't know how many ablations he's done but I believe it's in the thousands. He trained with Natale and he's affiliated with TCAI. He practices in Dallas with TCAI and in NC with Duke and UNC. I would consider him top flight.
May 06, 2022 07:51PM
Yes, thanks Carey. I had forgotten about Dr. Hranitzky, but as you say he with Duke which isn't Novant. Too, I don't know when he joined Duke, and as I said my data was from an old conversation with Shannon.
May 07, 2022 12:28AM
Ken
The issue now is what is the cause of her high heart rate and arrythmia? I talked to her yesterday, and she said that she gets out of breath and lightheaded when it happens (a few times a month) and feels tired a lot. Her Cardiologist is going to do more tests, but I don't know what he will do. Sounds to me more like afib, but does that happen to such young girls? Could it be flutter and if so, how is that fixed?

At her age the most likely explanation is SVT. There are a couple of types of SVT, but it's generally pretty easy to determine which type it is and that will guide how to treat it. An ablation is a possibility, but the good news is SVT ablations are much simpler than afib ablations, and the skill level required is much lower.

But no matter what it is, is her cardiologist an EP? If not, she needs to find one. This is a problem for an electrician, not a plumber.
May 07, 2022 03:07AM
Dr. Hranitsky is on his own under North Carolina Arrythmia Associates in Durham. He used to be at Duke and used to be at Wake Med. When he started on his own, his nurses went with him!!! I had appt with him last year as second opinion on PVCs. He was the most knowledgeable compassionate EP I've ever seen! He was not listed on my insurance list of approved providers but his staff contacted my insurance for me. I ended up paying the "out of network" fee which wasn't bad. It's worth a try to call his office and they will help determine the ins issues.
May 09, 2022 03:48PM
Children of 7 and a bit less have been known to have AFIB, often (but not always) with a corresponding separate congenital heart condition .. just check it out with a Pediatric EP, as they can recount oodles of just such very young AFIB cases, and other assorted arrhythmia as well like SVT and even more rarely VT.

I feel there ought to be a law against kids under 12 getting AFIB if there was real justice for such in the world ... but, alas, such doesn't seem to be the case I'm afraid.

Shannon
May 09, 2022 08:55PM
Shannon
Children of 7 and a bit less have been known to have AFIB

Shannon, did you misread the post? She's 23, so I don't think a pediatric EP is going to take her as a patient. ;-)
Ken
May 10, 2022 09:21AM
After spending more time with my niece this past weekend, she is now well informed about some possible diagnoses. She has another appointment with her cardiologist for "more testing", but she now has a complete list of EPs in the Novant system from which she will choose and see soon. She has plenty of family support to help guide her now that all are aware of the likely "electrical" issue(s) causing her problems.

Thanks for the support from the folks on this forum. If and when we discover the source of the issue, I will let you know how it plays out. I didn't mention that in an effort to find the problem, she did try to wear a monitor for a few days, but she is a red head, fair skinned and apparently allergic to the glue on the electrode pads, so that didn't last long. She is now aware of a KardiaMobile device, but no commitment to try that just yet.
May 10, 2022 02:05PM
I’m really allergic to the pads. I get bleeding and oozing welts. There is one brand that didn’t bother me. It’s made of cloth and smaller. The adhesive is thinner and may need replacement more often. I find it’s the adhesive that causes my problems. Especially if one exercises or gets sweaty from the heat. I add a Tegaderm film over them during the summertime to secure better. If your niece calls up and explains her sensitivity, they may send it to her free of charge.

[bttnusa.com]

It is discontinued at 3M but perhaps you can find some elsewhere online.
[www.3m.com]
Ken
May 10, 2022 03:58PM
Thank you, I will let her know.
July 11, 2022 11:53AM
Just reading this post. I want to offer Tristram Bahnson, MD, at Duke as an extremely experienced and brilliant electrophysiologist who worked with Natale in the 1990s when he was at Duke. My husband had his first Afib ablation with Dr. Bahnson around 1997-1998 when Dr. Bahnson was already closing in on 1000 afib ablations. By now, the numbers must be far far more! He did two afib and one atrial flutter ablation for my husband which were successful, and with others we know that also were without complications I keep hearing about with other doctors. I am planning on getting my first ablation in the next two months with him. He is extremely thorough, involved up-to-date treatment approaches through grants, etc., and kind, though direct and clear in his communication!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login