Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tachycardia after ablation

Posted by CaliGuy 
Tachycardia after ablation
May 01, 2022 07:00PM
Hey Guys,

I've been up since 4am (it's now 4pm) with tachycardia and Afib but mostly tachycardia. Heart rate has been around 116 all day. Some dizziness earlier but I'm ok now.

Ablation was on April 15th with Dr. Natale. I've been in NSR up until last night. I did workout yesterday and I'm sure that didn't help.

I'm wondering what you guys would do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Re: Tachycardia after ablation
May 01, 2022 11:44PM
I would make sure to hydrate very well and then I would try to get some sleep. The tachycardia isn't going to hurt you. Do you have a beta blocker prescribed? If you do and you haven't taken it, take it. And then tomorrow I would let the NP assigned to you know about these tachy episodes.
May 01, 2022 11:48PM
Thank you, Carey!

Carey
I would make sure to hydrate very well and then I would try to get some sleep. The tachycardia isn't going to hurt you. Do you have a beta blocker prescribed? If you do and you haven't taken it, take it. And then tomorrow I would let the NP assigned to you know about these tachy episodes.
May 02, 2022 01:47AM
Sorry to hear this. Did dr Natale put you on an anti arrhythmia drug for the blanking period?
May 02, 2022 09:41PM
I, too, had an ablation with Dr. Natale recently. I hope the tachycardia episodes have subsided. I know the anxiety issues like this can cause.
May 03, 2022 09:59AM
I was cardioverted last night at the ER. I'm now in Sinus Rhythm with Supraventricular Ectopy at 92 BPM. Not perfect - but better than tachycardia at 140 BPM.

Pixie
I, too, had an ablation with Dr. Natale recently. I hope the tachycardia episodes have subsided. I know the anxiety issues like this can cause.
May 03, 2022 10:01AM
CaliGuy
I was cardioverted last night at the ER. I'm now in Sinus Rhythm with Supraventricular Ectopy at 92 BPM. Not perfect - but better than tachycardia at 140 BPM.

Have you contacted your NP yet? Natale might want to put you on an antiarrhythmic for a while to keep things quiet.
May 03, 2022 10:01AM
No, they did not give me any anti arrhythmia drugs. The 3 that I've tried before ablation didn't work.

susan.d
Sorry to hear this. Did dr Natale put you on an anti arrhythmia drug for the blanking period?
May 03, 2022 10:32AM
Have you tried Sotalol? It works when flecainide and multaq didn’t. You would need either an overnight hospital stay or out patient follow up ekg to check your QT. It will at least lower your 90s hr
May 03, 2022 11:52AM
I was given sotalol after my ablation. I did not need an overnight hospital stay for the monitoring. I started it when I returned home after the ablation and needed an EKG 3 days after the start day to check for QT prolongations. It is working well for me. It was not given to me for long term at this time. Today was the day I was told to start weaning off it it. In a week I Iwill stop it and we will see what happens!, Prior to my ablation flecainide worked for a short time. I had to stop it for high blood levels.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2022 11:57AM by Pixie.
May 03, 2022 03:36PM
I've started sotalol several times over the years. No hospital stay was ever required.

I think you'll find that most EPs will only want a hospital stay if you already have a somewhat wide QT and not a lot of room to spare. Being female will also make it more likely because women have naturally wider QTs and are more prone to long QT syndrome.
May 03, 2022 04:09PM
I'm going to ask about it. My BP is usually on the low side at 117/75 so the beta blockers usually cause problems with that.

I'm still going to ask.

Thanks

susan.d
Have you tried Sotalol? It works when flecainide and multaq didn’t. You would need either an overnight hospital stay or out patient follow up ekg to check your QT. It will at least lower your 90s hr
May 03, 2022 04:12PM
They know. She's the one who told me to get cardioverted. I'm gonna have to get something.

I'm 100 percent positive this whole thing came from working out on Saturday. I will be much more careful for the next few months.

Thanks!

Carey

Have you contacted your NP yet? Natale might want to put you on an antiarrhythmic for a while to keep things quiet.
May 03, 2022 04:13PM
When did you have your ablation? I'm going to ask about the drug.

Thanks!

Pixie
I was given sotalol after my ablation. I did not need an overnight hospital stay for the monitoring. I started it when I returned home after the ablation and needed an EKG 3 days after the start day to check for QT prolongations. It is working well for me. It was not given to me for long term at this time. Today was the day I was told to start weaning off it it. In a week I Iwill stop it and we will see what happens!, Prior to my ablation flecainide worked for a short time. I had to stop it for high blood levels.
May 03, 2022 09:20PM
CaliGuy
When did have your ablation? I'm going to ask about the drug.

Thanks!

It was done by Dr. Natale at St David’s Medical Center in Austin.

May 03, 2022 09:34PM
CaliGuy, I had my ablation February 23.
May 15, 2022 05:32PM
CaliGuy (autocorrect wants me to call you Caligula!),

I had an ablation in Bordeaux nearly 4 years ago (Aug 18) and have also has some AT issues afterwards - started Oct 20 - usually 140bpm and come on if exerting myself. Small dose of BB (propanalol) helps. Did last an hour or three at first but most recently (last one a few months ago) just last a few minutes before self-converting to NSR.

Apparently a known fairly frequent problem/after-effect of PVI. I’ll go get a second ablation in Bordeaux if this issue worsens.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login