Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cleveland Clinc EP?

Posted by LaniB 
Cleveland Clinc EP?
April 28, 2022 08:21PM
Does anyone know of Dr. John Rickard at the Cleveland Clinic? When interviewing an EP, what questions would we want to ask? How many ablations have you performed over the years? Cleveland Clinic Website says he's done over 500, and he's been there since 2015. Would we want to ask how many per year? Is it fair to ask success rate since all patients are different? Regarding success rate, how long a period of time after the ablation in NSR is considered a success? I'm asking for a friend who has not yet joined this group. So far, I'm still in NSR. I would go to Natale if I needed a touch up, but time is of the essence for my friend. She says Dr. Ricard can get her in for a first appointment next week.
Re: Cleveland Clinc EP?
April 28, 2022 11:51PM
All the questions you mentioned would be entirely appropriate, especially how many total, how many per year, and success rate. Honestly, 500 ablations in 7 years isn't a lot. At all. I'm sure he's a fine EP but he isn't who I would choose. Make it 5000 and we're talking.

The generally accepted criteria of success is complete freedom from sustained atrial arrhythmias for one year without the aid of antiarrhythmic drugs. The EP I would choose would be able to claim an 80% or better success rate with paroxysmal afib. If your friend has persistent afib, that's a whole different story and would require only one of the top EPs in the country.

Why is time of the essence? Choosing an EP for an ablation isn't something I would rush into.
Re: Cleveland Clinc EP?
April 29, 2022 02:35AM
Carey
The EP I would choose would be able to claim an 80% or better success rate with paroxysmal afib.

Off hand, which EPs can you list comes to mine having an 80% success rate after an initial ablation? Your answer could be beneficial to those considering an ablation in narrowing down the list.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login