Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good follow up talk after Watchman - lots of questions answered

Posted by tobherd 
Good follow up talk after Watchman - lots of questions answered
March 30, 2022 10:02PM
I had a talk today with Dr, DiBiase from Montefiore hospital here in NY, as a follow up after my 6 week TEE, post Watchman implant. Dr. DiBiase works with Dr. Natale when he comes into the NY area, so they were both involved with my implant - although I'm assuming Dr. Natale did the main work on it/me. Here were the high points:

* My TEE looked great - no problems.all was good.
* I will need to get another TEE at the 6 month mark, which for me will be in July. That should be the last (ever?) TEE I'll need.
* Assuming it's also good, I can choose to get off of all blood thinners.
* Apparently the protocol is for people to stay on aspirin, but I have NO interest in doing that, and also would prefer to get off of Eliquis too. Dr.
DiBiase was not against that idea.

I believe he said that 90-95% of blood clots come from the LAA, so you are not 100% protected from a clot even with the Watchman, but I told him I also am doing lifestyle things to protect myself, and he felt that was all good. I plan to increase my Omega-3's once I get off of the blood thinners, and also take another supplement that I believe protects the cardiovascular system well. I also exercise and walk briskly, often. And of course, eating healthier too. I will be a Certified Health Coach by the summertime, so I'd better be '"walking the talk"!

I asked about caffeine and alcohol (in moderation..or for me, infrequently), and he was fine with both. No concerns.
I asked about the chance of ever getting Afib again, and he felt the chance was not 0%, but VERY low.

I felt better after our talk, and thought I'd share in case anyone is in a similar situation or has similar questions that remain unanswered.

It's a good daysmiling smiley ~ Barb
Re: Good follow up talk after Watchman - lots of questions answered
March 30, 2022 11:00PM
The neat bonus with a TEE is they can see your aorta. Was yours thick with plaque? That could possibly count towards the 5-10% risk and advantage of staying on half dose Eliquis or a baby aspirin.

Some excellent advice:
[www.afibbers.org]

Eliquis vs low dose aspirin, another gem I’ve bookmarked:
[www.afibbers.org]
March 31, 2022 12:56AM
Great meeting and a really useful post! Thank you and I'm so glad you feel more confident now.
March 31, 2022 08:06AM
Thankyou Barb. My 6 week TEE at 1 pm today so your post is timely. Of course ill need to see wether my Watchman is leak free but i kinda knew about the 6 month TEE. Its interesting to me that there would be a leak at 6 months when none was there at 6 weeks but it must be possible. Anyway happy for you!
March 31, 2022 04:16PM
I think a leak at 6 months when there wasn't one at 6 weeks would be very unlikely. I think the thing they're more likely looking for is a device related thrombus (DRT).
March 31, 2022 04:45PM
I’m told by Dr N’s np in CA takes three TEEs–45 days, 6 months and at a year…unless things change by then. I’m just happy no pre trip for a covid swab was necessary and no leaks..
April 01, 2022 11:34AM
Great news Barb,

I'm so glad you made the best decision in your case in getting the Watchman FLX. Like Jaybros' in a separate recent post above, you both have become real aficionado's these days and I am happy for you both!

Cheers!
Shan
April 01, 2022 12:57PM
Shannon
Great news Barb,

I'm so glad you made the best decision in your case in getting the Watchman FLX. Like Jaybros' in a separate recent post above, you both have become real aficionado's these days and I am happy for you both!

Cheers!
Shan

Jay, Tom and I all got the watchman days apart too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login