Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My 6 Week Watchman TEE is next wk. Lidocaine???

Posted by Poppino 
My 6 Week Watchman TEE is next wk. Lidocaine???
March 22, 2022 03:07PM
Im having my 6 week post watchman TEE next week 3/31. Do they spray your throat with Lidocaine??? Is that not stimulating as is novacaine???
Ill ask but i dont want it! Ive had 2 TEE s since 2005 but was under prior to cardioversion. Dr Natale agreed to let my EP Dr Holshouser do it here in Charlotte then results
Are sent to Austin per their instructions
Re: My 6 Week Watchman TEE is next wk. Lidocaine???
March 22, 2022 03:53PM
Won’t you be under anesthesia? You would just get a slight hoarse voice if anything afterwards . I’m scheduled before yours so I want to also know I won’t be awake gagging!
March 22, 2022 04:44PM
Yes im sure we ll be propofoled
March 22, 2022 05:32PM
I don't remember what they sprayed my throat with but they did and when they put the ultrasound probe in my mouth they told me to just keep swallowing. I did so and the next thing I remember was coming to from the propofol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2022 08:25PM by JayBros.
March 22, 2022 06:04PM
Barb just had hers she should know. What jay is saying sounds like they do spray us down!
March 22, 2022 06:12PM
My research seems to indicate that its epinephrine that causes the heart to speed up. Just like at the dentist so i think we re ok
BTW ill set the new alltime Afibbers record for being put under in 1 year: 6. 2 ablations 2 cardioversions 1 watchman 1 TEE. Shannon can just mail
Me my Gold Medal
March 22, 2022 06:42PM
I tell everybody to give linocaine plain without epi. Thanks for the reminder Tom!
March 22, 2022 07:37PM
I've had a number of TEEs and all were done under propofol. There's no reason to use any sort of spray if they're using propofol (and I would refuse a TEE while conscious).

I have no idea why they did with JayBros but it sounds like they used conscious sedation rather than propofol. Under propofol you wouldn't be aware of the insertion, nor would you be capable of swallowing. You'd be completely unconscious.
March 22, 2022 08:29PM
It was Oct 2017 and a lot has changed since then. I'll find out in one week.
March 22, 2022 09:42PM
Three of us in a week Jay are getting the 45 day TEE.
March 22, 2022 09:49PM
FYI to Jay and Tom and any folks getting a TEE or procedure in CA- I got a call yesterday I don’t need to come in Friday :-) for my covid swab because I’m triple vaxx and they lowered the covid testing pre procedure protocol requirements for those who were triple jabbed. All I need is show my card.
Ken
March 23, 2022 09:37AM
Isn't Propofol used for conscious sedation. Endoscopy and Colonoscopy. You are awake, but you remember nothing.
March 23, 2022 10:31AM
Ken
Isn't Propofol used for conscious sedation. Endoscopy and Colonoscopy. You are awake, but you remember nothing.

At lower doses it can be used as conscious sedation but it's also an induction agent for general anesthesia that quickly renders you unconscious. At the doses most commonly used for things like colonoscopies, TEEs, etc, you're definitely not awake.
March 23, 2022 04:55PM
In the past ive had propofol or brevitol for cardioversions. I definitely was out. For my Watchman in Austin i asked the anesthesiologist what they use: propofol first so Carey is correct. After that its another sedating med. All good stuff!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login