Advanced

Celiac Disease and Atrial Fibrillation

Posted by susan.d 
Celiac Disease and Atrial Fibrillation
March 21, 2022 07:10PM
[www.proquest.com]

NCGS summary:
[scholar.google.com]
“ Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS) is an increasingly recognized condition that may trigger gastrointestinal and extraintestinal symptoms following gluten ingestion.”

Full article:
[www.proquest.com]

I have NCGS. Three celiac serum tests were negative so I didn’t make the connection. An endoscopy biopsy showed NCGS. Since 2009 I’ve been gluten free until today. Today I ordered hummus and informed them I’m allergic to 152 foods including msg and gluten and not to add anything including seasoning-just plain because I’m not in the mood to be paddled today. They know me there and are compliant but perhaps the cook is new. They added teriyaki sauce which second ingredient is gluten. I’ve been sick all afternoon.

I’m sharing this in case anyone is getting GI issues associated with their afib they may have NCGS. It’s something to rule out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2022 11:35PM by susan.d.
Re: Celiac Disease and Atrial Fibrillation
March 22, 2022 10:36AM
Susan - Sorry about your unfortunate exposure.

I do not have Celiac disorder, but I did tested positive for gluten sensitivity many years ago when I had my first series of Genova Diagnostics' NutrEval assessments. It was a surprise as I had no obvious symptoms or reactions to gluten-containing food.

What I learned early on is that you can't really trust restaurant foods unless they are totally 'plain' and have no sauces or coatings, flavor enhancers, etc. Commercial preps of various sauces and flavor enhancers, MSG, are often used in restaurant food. For that reason, I learned to select only the most 'plain' items and for salads, I requested only oil and vinegar or lemon. There are some restaurants that claim to have 'certified gluten-free' kitchens but in my area, I've not seen many.

Jackie
Re: Celiac Disease and Atrial Fibrillation
March 22, 2022 11:16AM
Though not in your category, I am sensitive to a lot of foods. Our doc, Steven Gundry, told us that he's friends with a number of James Beard Award winning chefs. They told him it is nearly impossible to eat out and be gluten free. I gave up eating out around 2014. If we go out to a restaurant with friends, I just fast. When friends invite us over, we bring our own foods (they tell us we are the easiest guests ever). Traveling, we always get a kitchen and prepare our own foods. At 66, my lifelong autoimmune issues are 95% gone and the best they've ever been.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login