Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1st Time Ablation

Posted by IanHolly 
1st Time Ablation
March 20, 2022 04:54PM
Hi

After 2 years of PAF and 5 episodes I'm due for my first ablation in 2 weeks

I get the actual procedure, but I would appreciate any advice on how I'll feel for the week or so after.

Among other things I have an ongoing back issue at the moment and I'm worried about being on my back for any length of time!

Any real-life experiences would be appreciated

Thanks

Ian
Re: 1st Time Ablation
March 20, 2022 05:21PM
I've done that rodeo six times and I have always felt perfectly fine the next day and I've always gone back to work the next day (desk job). I once even went on a 50-mile bike ride in hilly terrain 3 days after an ablation with the EP's full blessing. However, others I've known have felt fatigued for a few days to a week. I think how you feel afterwards depends more on how you react to the anesthesia than the procedure itself. But no matter how you react, you're going to feel much better than you would after surgery, even minimally invasive surgery. Your only restriction will be no lifting anything weighing more than 10 pounds for 5 days.

You're definitely going to be required to lay flat after the procedure for either 2 hours or 6 hours. The shorter period is only if they use collagen plugs, which you might want to ask your EP about in advance. Those 4 hours make a HUGE difference.

Oh, and for men with chest or back hair, I highly recommend you shave it all off. If you don't the nurses will, and they probably won't be thorough. The reason is you're going to have very large sticky pads applied to your chest and back, plus all the usual ECG leads. You're not going to like the removal process if you have chest hair. I also recommend doing what the ladies know as a bikini trim. That hair where your thigh meets your groin is going to get shaved too, and they never get it all. You'll have Tegaderm clear film bandages applied there covering the insertion sites, and those things don't come off easily.
March 20, 2022 05:48PM
I strongly second Carey's comments about the prep although I would offer that the nurse who did mine a bit more than a month ago for my third ablation did an excellent job. The collagen plugs, in my case the Vascade Vascular Closure System, are slicker than deer guts on a door knob. I was up and walking around 2 1/2 hours after the procedure.

I also believe in sound physical fitness and attribute it to swift recovery from procedures such as hip replacements to ablations. Most important, listen to your body.
March 21, 2022 03:47AM
4 procedures for me.
I agree with Carey and JayBros.
Take notes of questions you might want to ask your nurses or EP before being wheeled in the lab and before leaving the hospital after the procedure. It's easy to forget things in those circumstances.
Ken
March 21, 2022 03:55PM
It's not going to be the same for everyone. My second one a couple of years ago, was day surgery - In at 6:30 am and out by 5:00 pm. Was walking two miles the next day. Felt 100% normal. I was purposely in great physical shape before the ablation.
March 21, 2022 06:35PM
Only a 10 pound lifting weight limit the first week because of the the groin site. Plus to avoid a hematoma you must press onto the sites when sitting to walking and from standing to sitting. This applies to a watchman as well.
March 22, 2022 12:01AM
susan.d
Plus to avoid a hematoma you must press onto the sites when sitting to walking and from standing to sitting. This applies to a watchman as well.

That's a new one. I've never heard that instruction from anyone after 6 ablations and one Watchman nor heard of anyone else being told that. Were you actually given that instruction by medical staff or did you read it somewhere? If you were given it, I think it was unique for you.
March 24, 2022 03:21PM
I have had two cardioversions, the first did not work at all and the second lasted 8 hours. I then had an ablation that lasted only 3 hours. I hope they get one of these right soon. I am scheduled to have another cardioversion soon. Fingers crossed.
March 24, 2022 11:50PM
Carey

Plus to avoid a hematoma you must press onto the sites when sitting to walking and from standing to sitting. This applies to a watchman as well.

That's a new one. I've never heard that instruction from anyone after 6 ablations and one Watchman nor heard of anyone else being told that. Were you actually given that instruction by medical staff or did you read it somewhere? If you were given it, I think it was unique for you.

Every single procedure (5) where plugs were inserted into my groin area I was instructed to press strongly onto the plugs by every RNs, each and every time I got out of bed, went to the bathroom, sat in a chair and in reverse getting up to go back into bed. Each 12 hour shift RN multiple by 5 procedures…with a reminder to continue for a week. If it was only one incident I wouldn’t mention it.

It wasn’t unique to me because of the volume of new RNs on each duty during 5 separate hospitalizations each reciting this warning. I don’t have anything in my medical records stating I need special needs. :-). It wasn’t unique for me. You are mistaken.
March 25, 2022 08:00PM
Then why have I never heard it a single time in 7 procedures at 3 institutions, nor have I ever heard of anyone else being given that instruction?
March 25, 2022 08:52PM
Carey
Then why have I never heard it a single time in 7 procedures at 3 institutions, nor have I ever heard of anyone else being given that instruction?

Maybe you are special and unique. :-)

I can’t speculate on how many others you heard of who were not given instructions on manual compression on the site. Did you specifically asked them (how many were female because females have a higher rate of groin complications?) or perhaps they didn’t mention it to you —so you presumed they didn’t get instructions like yourself or you only talked to men?

It’s like the instructions after GI surgery one must press down on the incision with a pillow before coughing. I was given those instructions 6 times at different hospitals as a young child to an adult. It hurts less when coughing and no big deal.
March 25, 2022 11:44PM
susan.d
Maybe you are special and unique. :-)

We both know it's the other way around. ;-)

Anyway, it's not important. Everyone should just follow the instructions they were given.
March 26, 2022 09:46AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback ... plenty to think about both before and after ... I'll provide an update on my experience 🙂
March 27, 2022 10:12AM
Recovery after ablation for me was a breeze, I did not have to press on my plugs, I was only told not to lift over 10 lbs for a week or two. Since I had not had surgery for about 35 years before that, I forgot all about the constipation afterward. No one mentioned it to me either. That was by FAR the WORST part of the whole procedure and recovery. Something about general anesthesia causes constipation, so ask beforehand how to handle it, or prevent it. I have never been constipated in my life except for that one day after the ablation. It was MISERABLE! and should have been prevented.
March 27, 2022 02:07PM
I've never heard of anyone experiencing constipation after anesthesia. Since you've experienced it twice I'd say next time a lot fiber and a stool softener beforehand would be a good idea. Bet you won't forget again. :-(
March 28, 2022 08:53AM
LaniB
Something about general anesthesia causes constipation, so ask beforehand how to handle it, or prevent it.

An article on this.
Surgical procedures are stressful on the body. As a result, they can cause unexpected side effects, including constipation. [www.medicalnewstoday.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login