Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

high risk window for stroke, after an AF episode?

Posted by strongHeart 
high risk window for stroke, after an AF episode?
March 17, 2022 06:16AM
So I've read research that suggests that the risk for stroke in AF person is not only from the AF episode (causing blood to pool due to poor heart function), but that those who have a propensity for AF can have a structural propensity for stroke, regardless of AF or not. This was recent news to me, and I don't recall the source. This would make me think I should be on blood thinners ALL the time. For a good 8 years, I have taken blood thinner drug on an episode basis, for approx 3 weeks following an AF episode. What is the higher risk window of stroke after and episode?
Thank you to all the knowledge and people on this forum.
Re: high risk window for stroke, after an AF episode?
March 17, 2022 12:15PM
The time period of the Afib ep/'s is very important along with the freq. of them + your Chad score also would be a large factor in whether you should take pharm. blood thinners (there are lots of natural supl. blood thinners also esp. when you stack many of them together everyday) Most doctors use the 48 hour period of an Afib ep. as a serious risk for clotting....others are shorter like my EP. who Ablated me thank god from this hell...he thinks 24 hours....my sug. is PIP your Ep. with Flec. or Propafenone so you Ep. only last a few hours at most so there is pretty much no need to worry about Clots.

GL
March 17, 2022 01:48PM
There's the CHADs score, as said.
For me, there's another issue : all my episodes, since ablated, have always been short (AVG 1hr) and self-ending. Sometimes, I may have a longer one (3 to 5hrs).
I never know. It may suddenly last longer. I'm used to take an OAC after three hours in afib. This way, if needed, I'm reducing risks soon enough. A single dose has always been sufficient to date. And useless, since I've always self-revert shortly after.
Both my parents have had strokes. I'm 64. I favour a preventive approach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2022 01:49PM by Pompon.
March 17, 2022 05:42PM
My CHADs VASC score is 5 and I have been on permanent OAC for 20 years. My post Watchman TEE is in a couple of weeks and I'm now on 10 mg Xarelto plus 81 mg aspirin. Will probably make final OAC determination after 6 mo. TEE. In the mean time I've pulled on the big dude britches and at 81 am going to continue having as much fun as I can.
May 06, 2022 12:33AM
I recently read a study in the JAMA which addressed just this issue.. The highest risk for stroke was within 5 days from an AF episode which lasted five and a half hours or longer. If I can relocate the study I will post it.
May 06, 2022 04:15PM
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Here is the link to that JAMA published study that I quoted.
June 23, 2022 08:26PM
Forgive me for my ignorance, Vanlith. Can you tell me what is your natural supply of blood thinners to stack, that you refer to? Also what is OAC that is referred to by many? Thank you! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login