Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alcohol during blanking period

Posted by Skford 
Alcohol during blanking period
March 12, 2022 03:16PM
Hi Folks,

I had a second ablation with Dr. Natale on 3/2. After the first one last November it seems I had fewer episodes of afib but stayed in persistent aflutter. A cardioversion only held for two days. Dr. Natale said that the errant circuits he had worked on in November had reconnected and he didn't know why. I am a moderate drinker, that is 2 drinks once or twice a week and three drinks once a week. Alcohol hasn't really been an afib trigger for me although I understand it could have been a long term factor in developing afib. Would it be best to avoid it during the blanking period? Has anyone ever studied this? It's easy enough to do I just wouldn't mind having a glass of wine when my anniversary comes up in a couple of weeks.

I always appreciate the input!
Steve
Re: Alcohol during blanking period
March 12, 2022 04:52PM
I drink a similar amount as you and I never changed that during any of my (multiple) blanking periods. I don't think alcohol in moderation has much effect on the healing process, and it's never been a trigger for me.
March 13, 2022 03:48AM
I concur with Carey. Moderate alcohol consumption has only coincidental effects on my HR. IOW, sometimes I've had the feeling one glass was bad, other times two glasses did nothing.
I'm dealing with "errant circuits" too. Not Seen Natale as I'm living in Belgium, but the EP (Bordeaux trained) who did my 2 last procedures is an amazing guy. Very competent. But there are "difficult" cases, even when they look easy on first sight.
I wish you're not in that league.
March 13, 2022 10:13AM
My perspective: absolutely not. No alcohol. Now months after my 8-6-21 Natale ablation ill drink a tad. One beer but for me i have a history of linking it as a trigger
And also of course the use of anticoagulation and alcohol is a no. I know for some alcohol isnt. For me i drink coffee every morning and always have. Nothing. Alcohol another story
March 15, 2022 10:55AM
Why not just quit drinking for 6 months or more (however long you like) and see if anything improves or changes? You can always go back to it if things go in your favor. As an alcoholic myself (15 years sober), there is life after alcohol and it absolutely isn't needed for anything. The most important thing of all is your life and getting as healthy as possible for you. Like I said, you can always go back to it, first things first though and get back to the best version of you first.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login