Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

EP Deadzone

Posted by Rob626 
EP Deadzone
March 09, 2022 06:32PM
My cardiologist is recommending I see an EP for oblation. Since there are none in my local area they want me to drive 150 miles to the Oklahoma Heart Institute in Tulsa. After reviewing this place I’m wondering if I should go the 581 miles to Austin and see Dr. Natale at the Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute.

Has anyone heard of this Oklahoma Heart Institute in Tulsa?

Thanks
Re: EP Deadzone
March 09, 2022 07:47PM
Personally, I'd drive at lot farther than 581 miles to see Natale for an ablation, even if it were just 2 miles for an alternate (and not disparaging the alternate). Just my opinion.
March 10, 2022 12:54AM
I'm not familiar with the institution. Looking through their staff list, I don't see any names among the electrophysiologists that I recognize. That's not a criticism, just an observation. I'm sure it's a fine institution and they're all fine doctors, but when the distance between choosing "good" vs "the best" is a few hundred miles, I think the choice is pretty simple.

Gotta agree with George. If you're driving as close as Tulsa then I'd say keep going another half day. I flew 2000 miles to Austin despite the fact that I live within 2 hours of the Medical Meccas of Boston and NYC.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2022 08:44PM by Carey.
March 10, 2022 09:01AM
Just a short FWIW. In 2016 when I was put in touch with him by a very helpful third party Shannon spent about 30 minutes with me on the phone telling me all about Dr. Natale. When he finished he asked me one question, "Based on what I've told you about Dr. Natale, how can you NOT have him work on your heart?" My answer, "I can't." About three weeks later I was supine in an Electrophysiology Lab at St. David's Medical Center. In simple words, if you can afford to make the trip and you don't, you also need someone to work on your brain. No insult, just humor. smiling smiley
March 10, 2022 03:54PM
Well I got the ball rolling with Dr. Natale. I didn't realize that it would only take one trip so that's not a problem at all. Sounds like the waiting list is out a couple of months but that gives me plenty of time to get some local testing done. I have some friends that live in Austin so I'll be able to shack-up there for the 72 hour period they like you to hang around for.

Thanks for the feed back...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2022 03:55PM by Rob626.
March 10, 2022 04:22PM
Good deal!!! Educate yourself as much as you can here and on such other forums as you choose, although afibbers is the mother lode IMO, and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need to. Do remember that since we're all very unique individuals you will compile a large number of anecdotes, many of which may pertain to your situation in some part. The Maestro did a small touch up, third ablation on me a little more than three weeks ago after five+ years of NSR life and I can't believe how damn good I feel. When I first saw him in 2016 my main drive pump was an absolute mess and it took a lot of work followed by a touch up after six months that led to the five year stretch. Best of luck!
March 30, 2022 02:18PM
Three failed ablations at major University System in Chicago over 2 year period. One successful ablation almost five years ago with Natale. Easy choice, travel as far as you need to!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login