Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can electrolyte supplements cure A-Fib?

Posted by Steve Verplank 
Can electrolyte supplements cure A-Fib?
February 28, 2022 12:24PM
Have heard that taking electrolyte supplements can cure A-Fib? Any truth to this?
Re: Can electrolyte supplements cure A-Fib?
February 28, 2022 01:52PM
No.
February 28, 2022 02:11PM
JayBros
No.
Dear Mr.JayBros, Have you tried this before and it did not work for you or are you saying that it will not work for anyone.
February 28, 2022 03:03PM
There's no "cure" for afib. If you know what causes your afib, which can be the case with other health issues, curing the latters can help keeping afib at bay.
Without a known cause, taking some magnesium, potassium and the likes may help keeping afib at bay too.
But no, AFAIK, no supplement can cure afib. Nothing to date can cure afib.
February 28, 2022 04:37PM
Steve,

The book "The AFIB Cure" by John D. Day and Bunch may help. They don't say they outright cure AFIB but instead put it into "remission for good". They also say this may require an ablation for some.
February 28, 2022 05:00PM
MikeN
Steve,

The book "The AFIB Cure" by John D. Day and Bunch may help. They don't say they outright cure AFIB but instead put it into "remission for good". They also say this may require an ablation for some.
Dear MikeN, thank you for this information.
February 28, 2022 05:02PM
Pompon
There's no "cure" for afib. If you know what causes your afib, which can be the case with other health issues, curing the latters can help keeping afib at bay.
Without a known cause, taking some magnesium, potassium and the likes may help keeping afib at bay too.
But no, AFAIK, no supplement can cure afib. Nothing to date can cure afib.
Thank you for this information.
February 28, 2022 05:39PM
I figured a one word answer was good enough because you asked if supplements could cure afib. Pompon and MikeN elaborated. If a cure for afib is ever found it won't be but a matter of nanoseconds before advertisements for it will flood all media.
February 28, 2022 06:32PM
Steve Verplank
Have heard that taking electrolyte supplements can cure A-Fib? Any truth to this?

I'm the unicorn here, and have kept afib in relative remission for 17 1/2 years. Electrolytes are part but not all of my remission plan. I'm certainly not "cured." Everybody is different. For some people, electrolytes can help.
February 28, 2022 07:20PM
GeorgeN

I'm the unicorn here, and have kept afib in relative remission for 17 1/2 years. Electrolytes are part but not all of my remission plan. I'm certainly not "cured." Everybody is different. For some people, electrolytes can help.
Thank you for this information.
February 28, 2022 07:21PM
JayBros
I figured a one word answer was good enough because you asked if supplements could cure afib. Pompon and MikeN elaborated. If a cure for afib is ever found it won't be but a matter of nanoseconds before advertisements for it will flood all media.
Thank you.
February 28, 2022 09:11PM
Many people here and elsewhere have tried all sorts of combinations of supplements to cure their afib, but none have succeeded. I myself obtained partial relief for 2 years using electrolyte supplements (at rather dangerous levels), but I don't know of a single person who has been successful in obtaining what could be called a "cure." I think JayBros' first answer of simply "No" is the most correct answer.
March 01, 2022 01:36PM
Carey
Many people here and elsewhere have tried all sorts of combinations of supplements to cure their afib, but none have succeeded. I myself obtained partial relief for 2 years using electrolyte supplements (at rather dangerous levels), but I don't know of a single person who has been successful in obtaining what could be called a "cure." I think JayBros' first answer of simply "No" is the most correct answer.
Thank you for your reply.I had no idea that you could take to much electrolyte supplements.I just started taking mine on Sunday and its called LiquidIV. I take it every other day and about 16oz. at a time.
March 01, 2022 02:55PM
Potassium is the only electrolyte that is dangerous if you take too much of it.
March 01, 2022 04:03PM
Liz- how much is too much?
March 01, 2022 04:29PM
Hello Steve... and welcome to our group.

There is an archived report from about 12 years ago titled, The Strategy and if you scan through the first ten pages or so, you'll find some important fundamentals on the influence of our electrolyte balances or reserves that you may find helpful. [afibbers.org]

I definitely had an electrolyte imbalance and an outright deficiency in magnesium plus I was advised as a post-menopausal woman to be taking calcium supplements for bone health which definitely wasn't appropriate and undoubtedly contributed to my the onset of my Afib. Fortunately, I was able to correct at the time, but it took 8 years of experimenting and that's not something I'd recommend to anyone just starting out as a new afibber now that we have this excellent resource guide thankfully created by founder, Hans Larsen, over 20 years ago... and thanks to Shannon and Carey, we continue to have access to current, reliable information on Afib treatment and research.

BTW, that supplement you mention (LiquidIV)... has a more sodium than potassium... so it's not really a benefit to your heart. Your heart does need potassium... but not too much because overdoing potassium can have a severe, detrimental affect on heart function as well...... ie, [duckduckgo.com]

And just FYI... too much sodium can also be detrimental to heart function. Electrolytes need appropriate ratio balancing.

Jackie

March 01, 2022 05:50PM
In addition to Jackie's comments, I would add that I hope you don't pay much for that stuff. You can get about the same salt and potassium from a small bag of potato chips or a dozen other foods. Some salted nuts and a glass of orange juice would exceed what Liquid IV provides.
March 01, 2022 07:04PM
Elizabeth
Thank you for your reply.
March 01, 2022 07:14PM
susan.d
Liz- how much is too much?

There's no simple answer to that question. It depends a lot on whether you have impaired kidney function, and whether you're taking potassium-sparing drugs like ACE inhibitors, ARBs, or potassium-sparing diuretics (all very common hypertension/cardiac meds). It also depends on your diet. If you eat a healthy diet you're eating a lot more potassium than someone who eats junk.
March 01, 2022 08:54PM
Elizabeth

Actually any electrolyte can be dangerous if your kidney function is compromised. Usually it is less of an issue with magnesium as high levels of magnesium will act as a laxative and never make it into the bloodstream. The level of bowel tolerance is very individual. I am unusual in that my bowel tolerance is north of 4-5 grams of magnesium. My wife's is more in the range of 0.2 to 0.3 grams of (elemental) magnesium/day.

Magnesium and potassium are key elements in my program. I use a number of forms of magnesium and purchase them in large quantities. I purchase magnesium chloride crystals in 20kg (44#) bags, dimagnesium malate in 10# bags from an equine supplier and I could go on for other forms. I also dissolve potassium citrate powder in a liter of water and drink it over the day (my version of timed release). This is because a concentrated amount of potassium consumed at once will get quickly urinated out by healthy kidneys.
March 01, 2022 11:33PM
Potassium is used in lethal injections. Before you take potassium supplements you should get your levels checked, my levels are always close to the high side of the range, now maybe, my kidneys aren't as good as they should be, but it is a good idea to know what your levels are.

I take magnesium but only a teaspoon of mag. pwd. in a cup of water, once a day, that is about all I can tolerate. George has a great system that he can take horse pot.grinning smiley
March 02, 2022 01:10PM
GeorgeN

Actually any electrolyte can be dangerous if your kidney function is compromised. Usually it is less of an issue with magnesium as high levels of magnesium will act as a laxative and never make it into the bloodstream. The level of bowel tolerance is very individual. I am unusual in that my bowel tolerance is north of 4-5 grams of magnesium. My wife's is more in the range of 0.2 to 0.3 grams of (elemental) magnesium/day.

Magnesium and potassium are key elements in my program. I use a number of forms of magnesium and purchase them in large quantities. I purchase magnesium chloride crystals in 20kg (44#) bags, dimagnesium malate in 10# bags from an equine supplier and I could go on for other forms. I also dissolve potassium citrate powder in a liter of water and drink it over the day (my version of timed release). This is because a concentrated amount of potassium consumed at once will get quickly urinated out by healthy kidneys.
Thanks for this information.
March 09, 2022 12:20PM
Hello Steve,

I have kept AFIB relatively at bay for 16 years based on the following regimen...3 episodes in 2006/2007 and 3 episodes in 2019/2020. Who knows what the future holds but this has worked for me.
- BB once per day. Metaprolol succinate...50 mg.
- diet high in potassium which includes fruit smoothie and a banana every day.
- Stay hydrated...VERY IMPORTANT
- Proper sleep.

If the PAC/PVC ectopics rear up, I typically eat an apple or have a low sodium V8, and/or add some orange juice....sometimes need all...
March 09, 2022 03:03PM
shca67
Hello Steve,

I have kept AFIB relatively at bay for 16 years based on the following regimen...3 episodes in 2006/2007 and 3 episodes in 2019/2020. Who knows what the future holds but this has worked for me.
- BB once per day. Metaprolol succinate...50 mg.
- diet high in potassium which includes fruit smoothie and a banana every day.
- Stay hydrated...VERY IMPORTANT
- Proper sleep.

If the PAC/PVC ectopics rear up, I typically eat an apple or have a low sodium V8, and/or add some orange juice....sometimes need all...
Thanks for the information.What is BB once a day?
March 17, 2022 07:37AM
BB is beta-blockers. You'll need to find the right combination for you from meds, supplements and lifestyle changes. Continue seeking advice and opinions from this group, then discuss with your cardiologist or doctor. This group has been a blessing to me!
March 17, 2022 01:22PM
Muntz
BB is beta-blockers. You'll need to find the right combination for you from meds, supplements and lifestyle changes. Continue seeking advice and opinions from this group, then discuss with your cardiologist or doctor. This group has been a blessing to me!
Thank you for your help.
March 17, 2022 03:50PM
February 28, 2022

Steve Verplank

George N wrote:
====

As “Unicorn” George N. notes in his reply – re: “cure for Afib”… …. I am reminded of our long-standing member, Erling Waller, now deceased, but certainly not forgotten by many of us who were early contributors to this forum when Hans Larsen introduced it. Erling was also a similar 'Unicorn' when it came to his Afib ... managed to control it without an ablation and lived to age 92.

When Erling reached out to me as a new forum member, he shared his successes which Hans included in his first book, Lone Atrial Fibrillation Towards a Cure. Many of his findings were useful to me and I definitely made progress in slowing my AF down… but not ‘curing’ 100%, so I did proceed with my first Natale ablation in 2003, followed by a flutter ablation 2014 and touchup - 2015.

My point is, for my ‘biochemical profile,’ what Erling found to be helpful in his case, was definitely helpful to me and continues to be for my overall health..... AND, most importantly, a calm heart at age 86.

Electrolyte balance is top priority in my daily routine… and so are other specific metabolic balances that are unique for my needs. The only medication I take is half dose of Eliquis twice a day. I do take additional, targeted nutritional supplements based on lab evaluations. My heart is very calm.

Jackie
March 17, 2022 06:55PM
Jackie
February 28, 2022

Steve Verplank

George N wrote:
====

As “Unicorn” George N. notes in his reply – re: “cure for Afib”… …. I am reminded of our long-standing member, Erling Waller, now deceased, but certainly not forgotten by many of us who were early contributors to this forum when Hans Larsen introduced it. Erling was also a similar 'Unicorn' when it came to his Afib ... managed to control it without an ablation and lived to age 92.

When Erling reached out to me as a new forum member, he shared his successes which Hans included in his first book, Lone Atrial Fibrillation Towards a Cure. Many of his findings were useful to me and I definitely made progress in slowing my AF down… but not ‘curing’ 100%, so I did proceed with my first Natale ablation in 2003, followed by a flutter ablation 2014 and touchup - 2015.

My point is, for my ‘biochemical profile,’ what Erling found to be helpful in his case, was definitely helpful to me and continues to be for my overall health..... AND, most importantly, a calm heart at age 86.

Electrolyte balance is top priority in my daily routine… and so are other specific metabolic balances that are unique for my needs. The only medication I take is half dose of Eliquis twice a day. I do take additional, targeted nutritional supplements based on lab evaluations. My heart is very calm.
Thank you Jackie for all of this information.
Jackie
March 18, 2022 12:54AM
Electrolytes have resolved some Afib bouts for my loved one.

We think Nutrient depletion due to drugs is a big piece of not only Afib but many more disease puzzles as well..

Drug Induced Nutrient Depletion aka DIND
https://www.doctorsbeyondmedicine.com/listing/drug-induced-nutrient-depletion

Not commonly focused on, but true, that deficiencies must be corrected and, or toxicities lowered for the body to function optimally.
March 20, 2022 05:45PM
is it worth purchasing Hans book or is the info already widely discussed on this forum? anneh
March 20, 2022 09:44PM
anneh
is it worth purchasing Hans book or is the info already widely discussed on this forum? anneh

Though some info is dated, it is a wonderful book to get an excellent background on afib. It is only $10 as Kindle on Amazon: [www.amazon.com]

Five or so years ago, my military son-in-law (then about 30) presented with afib. A few years later he had an episode that would not convert and went to the base ER. That precipitated a meeting with a base cardiologist prior to an eval to see if he was medically "fit for service." I sent him and my daughter this book, as well as talking to them. Along with Shannon, we created a plan for what we would prefer as ideal course of treatment which was PIP (on-demand) flecainide (not all docs think this is a great idea). The doc was from Germany and a no BS guy. My son-in-law and my daughter were so prepared, the doc prescribed exactly what was asked for in a short visit. After a follow up visit, the eval came back positive, a relief to all.
March 21, 2022 12:23AM
I benefited reading it.
March 21, 2022 02:30AM
I drink a bottle (36 ounces) of pedialyte electrolyte drink to keep my electrolytes in balance. The clear unflavored is not as sweet and doesn’t contain as much citric acid or sugar as Gatorade or flavored pedialyte. Just get the Pedialyte brand for 50 cents more and not the nasty tasting CVS brand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2022 10:20AM by susan.d.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login