Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ablation tomorrow

Posted by Brian_og 
Ablation tomorrow
December 14, 2021 09:33PM
Hi folks

Well after finding this site a few years back, and learning from everyone posting here, I’m off for my first ablation tomorrow.

The EP is Richard Hongo at CPMC in San Francisco. He trained under Natale way back when Natale performed surgeries there. He’s done 1000s apparently so I feel like I’m in good hands. He uses RF and will try to induce more afib after the PVs are done so that he has a better chance of getting everything.

The procedure should last 3 hours I’m told. Then 4 hours laying down not moving my legs. Apparently I will have a urinary catheter at some stage as well. Yikes. Not sure when that comes out. After that I spend the night. In the morning they remove stitches from my groin area and discharge me.

Advice welcome from everyone. Anything I should look out for in the days after the procedure?

I will post again after I’m home.

Again, thanks to everyone especially Carey and Shannon.

Brian

PS. I’m paroxysmal. Really only feel afib 4 or 5 times a year. Most episodes under a few hours, except the last one which was 8. Last episode was 6 months ago. So the burden is quite low, but I know that “ Afib begets Afib” and at 65 I’m only getting older.
Re: Ablation tomorrow
December 14, 2021 10:42PM
I never had a urinary catheter during my three ablations.

My advice- get someone with you afterwards in the recovery to listen to what the EP says because after anesthesia your memory will be Swiss cheese and you can ask your designated listener to what the doctor said.

You will be fine. It’s normal to worry but chances are all you will be bothered with is a few hours on your back and the ten pound lifting limit.

Good luck. Wishing you success and a long life of nsr!
December 14, 2021 11:06PM
Best of luck
December 15, 2021 12:42AM
Brian_og
Apparently I will have a urinary catheter at some stage as well. Yikes. Not sure when that comes out.

I know it sounds like yikes! but trust me, that catheter is going to be your friend when you're lying there flat on your back for 4 hours and you've just been pumped full of saline for the last few hours. They might offer to remove it before you're allowed to get up and walk around, but I would strongly recommend that you leave it in until then.

The only other advice I can offer is if you have chest or back hair, shave it now. And do what the ladies call a "bikini trim" downstairs. If you don't do these trims, they will, and they won't do a good job. You're going to be getting a waxing when they pull electrodes off your chest and back after the procedure, and then again when you pull a bandage off your groin a day later.

Otherwise, good luck! grinning smiley
December 15, 2021 08:22AM
Per Susan's suggestion. If you don't have somebody to listen, suggest you record what is said on your phone's voice recorder. Even if you have someone to listen, have them record so you can listen later.
December 16, 2021 02:15PM
Thanks everyone.

The urinary catheter was a godsend as suggested by Carey. Stung a little coming out but that’s the only drawback since I was under when it was put in. Also used George’s and Susan’s idea of recording the EP. Although the good part was I had access to the procedure notes about two hours after the ablation ended. The procedure lasted about three hours. Unfortunately, as usual, I didn’t catch a nice buzz from the anesthesia, he just knocked me out!

Verdict success! Isolated the PVIs and no need for any other areas. Feel great, no pain, or even really tired. The only discomfort after the fact was sore throat and I was warned about that since the tube was going to be in the for three hours.

Here’s the final notes for anyone interested. Personally after reading as much as I can, including here, and watching YouTube video of an ablation I find the notes readable! One interesting thing they do here is use fluids to keep the esophagus cool during the procedure.

Procedure Description
Informed consent obtained after procedure and sedation explained in full, including indications, benefits,
risks and alternatives. Patient transported to procedure room in fasting, non-sedated state. General
anesthesia administered by anesthesiologist. Temperature probe advanced to mid-esophagus through
nasopharynx. Catheter insertion sites prepared and draped in usual sterile fashion. Local anesthesia
achieved with 2% lidocaine and 2% bupivicaine. Hemostatic sheaths placed percutaneously under direct
ultrasonic visualization using modified Seldinger technique. 12-lead surface ECG and intracardiac
electrograms displayed in real time and recorded. After baseline recordings obtained, sinus node, atrial,
node, His-Purkinje, and ventricular functions evaluated by incremental pacing and programmed
extrastimulation. Programmed pacing and recording repeated during and after IV isoproterenol. Etiology
arrhythmia determined with pacing maneuvers. Decision made to proceed with catheter intervention.
Intraprocedural Anticoagulation: Heparin bolus initiated prior to completion of transseptal punctures and
further boluses given to maintain ACT >350 sec. Intracardiac Echocardiography: AcuNav 10F intracardi
echocardiographic catheter inserted via left femoral vein 10.5F sheath and advanced to RA. Catheter
maneuvered within RA, and RA, tricuspid valve, RV, intra-atrial septum, LA, left and right PVs, mitral val
LV, and aortic valve visualized. Transseptal Punctures: Two transseptal punctures performed with NRG
needle under fluoroscopic and ICE guidance and LAMP and SLO sheaths advanced into the LA. Proper
positioning in LA confirmed with fluoroscopy, ICE and LA pressure tracings. At end of the procedure all
catheters removed and sheaths removed. IV Protamine 50 mg administered to reverse heparin to ACT
prior to sheath removal. Hemostasis achieved with vascular closure devices at both femoral vein acces:
sites. Patient extubated without issue. Patient transported to monitored recovery area in stable condition

Comments:Mapping and Ablation of AF (PV Antral Isolation):
Endocardial and 3-D electroanatomic mapping performed with PentaRay catheter and Navistar 3.5-mm
SmartTouch SF F-curve ablation catheter utilizing Biosense CARTO 3 system. CT image of LA and PVs
integrated into CARTO system. No significant LA scarring noted at onset. Vein potentials localized
endocardially in antra of all PVs using mapping catheter. Targeting vein potentials with ablation resulted in
isolation of all PVs. High dose isoproterenol infusion to induce additional arrhythmia (20 mcg/min for 10-15
minutes) demonstrated no recurrent conduction into PVs, no induction of extrapulmonary triggers, no
induction of atrial arrhythmias. Adenosine infusions (12-24 mg per vein) did not reveal recurrent or dormant
conduction into PVs.. Bidirectional block into and out of the PV's was confirmed with pacing. Ablation points
guided by fluoroscopy, 3-D CARTO image. Intracardiac echocardiography used to monitor positioning of
catheters, effect of ablation, and pericardial space. Radiofrequency energy directed from the ablation
catheter tip to surface patch electrode(s). Temperature was limited to 40C and power was titrated 40 W
depending on effect on targeted electrograms. Saline flow of 2 mL/min maintained at a minimum while
catheter within vasculature. Flow increased to 15 mL/min during ablations.Phrenic nerve stimulation not
present with maximum output from sites of ablation near right PVs and LAA. Continuous esophageal coolin
was performed during catheter ablation energy delivery.
Addl Comments:
Conclusions
EPS/Ablation Summary
1) No LA scarring noted at procedure onset.
2) Successful isolation of four Vs for treatment of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation, confirmed bi-directional
block with pacing.
3) High-dose isoproterenol challenge (20 mcg/min for 10-15 min) for induction of separate arrhythmia: no
reconnection into the PVs, no extrapulmonary triggers, no induction of atrial arrhythmia; programmed paci
and recording performed during and after isoproternol infusion.
4) Adenosine challenge (12 mg per vein); no reconnection into PVs.a
5) No inducible SVT/AFL.
December 16, 2021 03:21PM
The training is apparent. That ablation report reads a lot like a Natale ablation report.

Glad it went so well! Expect a few bumps in the road in the coming weeks, but I doubt any will be more than that.
December 16, 2021 03:32PM
Is it common to do an adenosine challenge?
December 16, 2021 05:25PM
For top EPs, yes, both adenosine and isoproterenol.

That EP did everything right and was meticulous. They didn't skip anything.
December 16, 2021 06:41PM
Brian-get the hospital ablation report (differs than the EP report in detail) to see how many burns and length of each burn, length of fluoroscopy, how many cardioversions, joules of each, drugs given, etc. mine are usually 17-21 pages.
December 16, 2021 07:16PM
susan.d
Brian-get the hospital ablation report (differs than the EP report in detail) to see how many burns and length of each burn, length of fluoroscopy, how many cardioversions, joules of each, drugs given, etc. mine are usually 17-21 pages.

Can I get that from the EP, or have to ask the hospital? Don’t know who I’d ask at hospital.
December 16, 2021 07:18PM
One interesting thing. He prescribes protonix for everyone 40mg twice a day just in case of possible damage to esophagus. I was relieved that he prescribed it for everyone and not just me.
December 16, 2021 08:52PM
Contact hospital medical records. Have them email or fax the release form to you and then check off ablation report and date of services.
December 16, 2021 08:55PM
Did he give you a rx for Lasix (just in case) and potassium in case your ankles swell up or you retain liquid and gain 5 pounds?
December 16, 2021 09:59PM
susan.d
Did he give you a rx for Lasix (just in case) and potassium in case your ankles swell up or you retain liquid and gain 5 pounds?

No. The PA last week told me to weigh myself every day for three lbs in one day or 5 lbs a week. If so to tell them and they would call in a prescription.

They tested my potassium this morning and it was slightly low, so they gave me two pills before I left. That’s it. Should I be more concerned?
December 16, 2021 10:45PM
Nah..nothing to worry about….my EP just gave a Lasix rx with K just to have if needed. I only needed one dose for each of two ablations and it wasn’t necessary for the third ablation. Everyone is different.
December 21, 2021 05:45PM
Carey

Apparently I will have a urinary catheter at some stage as well. Yikes. Not sure when that comes out.

I know it sounds like yikes! but trust me, that catheter is going to be your friend when you're lying there flat on your back for 4 hours and you've just been pumped full of saline for the last few hours. They might offer to remove it before you're allowed to get up and walk around, but I would strongly recommend that you leave it in until then.

The only other advice I can offer is if you have chest or back hair, shave it now. And do what the ladies call a "bikini trim" downstairs. If you don't do these trims, they will, and they won't do a good job. You're going to be getting a waxing when they pull electrodes off your chest and back after the procedure, and then again when you pull a bandage off your groin a day later.

Otherwise, good luck! grinning smiley

I had what can only be described as a balloon instead of catheter, easy removal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login