Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why don’t I have a “Notification Button” on Medtronic Heart Link app?

Posted by [email protected] 
Why don’t I have a “Notification Button” on Medtronic Heart Link app?
September 28, 2021 10:47AM
I got the Medtronic heart monitor implant recently. I want to se the phone to record events that I notice. They call them “notifications”. Problem is that there’s no notification button on the app on my phone. The instructions talk about how it works, etc..
Notifications just documents a time when I feel something odd. It makes a time stamp on the “notes” or records that go off to the doctor with the regular heart recordings.
I want to be able to use the phone for this. Medtronic told me to use the (fob) that came along with the device.
Anyone use their iPhone for notifications?
Re: Why don’t I have a “Notification Button” on Medtronic Heart Link app?
September 28, 2021 11:26AM
[email protected]
Medtronic told me to use the (fob) that came along with the device.

I think if your phone could do that they would have told you, or it would at least be mentioned in the instructions.

I doubt it's even possible for a phone to interact with the device. How would it? Bluetooth signals don't penetrate the human body, and near field communications probably wouldn't either. So there's probably just no way for an iPhone to communicate with it.
September 28, 2021 12:36PM
Technical manuals are available here by name or product number: [manuals.medtronic.com]

On this page [www.medtronic.com] They mention a "MyCareLink Heart™ mobile app on patient's smartphone or tablet" I have no idea what the app does. More info here: [www.medtronic.com]
September 30, 2021 10:31PM
You are mistaken. Every night at 1am my phone app was communicating with my Metronics pacemaker and did a daily check to see if it’s working correctly. If I want, I can click a button and get an interrogation report. It works with wifi not Bluetooth and the connection penetrates below the skin pocket where the pacemaker is positioned.

I upgraded to the bedside monitor (wifi) instead of my Metronics phone app (George referenced the app) recently. I don’t like it because of my frequent Er visits I’m missing the nightly checks. I’m going to change it back to my phone (which I have with me) when I get admitted or in the hospital next instead of dragging the monitor with me. The bedside monitor is about 8” diameter. One’s phone or bedside monitor has to be 3’ away for transmission for 3 hours a day.
October 01, 2021 10:43AM
Not all PMs and monitors use wifi, and if they don't use wifi they can't communicate with a phone.
October 13, 2021 02:20AM
The linq 2 does indeed communicate with a smartphone by Bluetooth.

[www.medtronic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2021 02:22AM by jasams.
October 14, 2021 12:48AM
Maybe the ICM communicates with either your cellphone (MyCareLink Heart™ Mobile App) or bedside monitor (MyCareLink Relay™ Home Communicator). But to communicate by transmitting your strips from phone app or bedside monitor to the Metronics monitoring server you need either wifi or cellular.

[www.medtronic.com]
Mentions Bluetooth AND wifi or cellular.

MYCARELINK RELAY HOME COMMUNICATOR
The MyCareLink Relay™ home communicator sends data from patients’ heart devices directly to their clinics using Wi-Fi or cellular data.

Optimized Bluetooth and cellular antenna design
Integrated Wi-Fi and 4G LTE
Requires little to no user interaction
Ambient light sensor automatically turns off lights and mutes sounds in the dark

PATIENT BENEFITS
Portable: the MyCareLink Heart™ mobile app goes wherever you go (cellular and Wi-Fi service availability applies)

I have the exact bedside monitor shown on your link. I’ve called Metronics tech support ((800) 633-8766) a few times when I was stuck overnight in either the hospital or ER and missed the 1am nightly device check transmission because I wasn’t 10 feet from the monitor for three hours. I was instructed to take this bulky monitor to the hospital and use their wifi.

I took a picture of my instructions manual. Metronics tech support said I need wifi to upload:
[ibb.co]

Metronics allows you to sign up to either the monitor or use the phone app. You can’t interchange them. You have to pick one and keep it until you return the monitor back to Metronics (monitor is free) and switch to the phone app as your assigned transmission method. If you go on vacation you need to drag the monitor along with you. I may switch back to my phone app for frequent ERs but my EP said the monitor is better. The problem I face is the guest free hospital wifi only lasts a short time until I have to sign in again. I think the app is better if one travels or is a frequent hospital patient. But that’s me and may not affect others when deciding which to use for transmission.

Ohh..you will never see your data on your app —or Metronics patient portal. [www.mycarelinkconnect.com]) after the transmission notification. I called Metronics today because I was in >150s hr tachycardia four times yesterday for a minute at a time and wanted to see what the heck it was. Metronics told me only my EP associated with my device can see it and to call the office for a copy…which I did and a PDF was emailed to me. Perhaps you can call your doctors office after each event and ask for the pdf transmission.

This is all the data you see in the app:
[www.medtronic.com]

Be careful..each notification transmission you make eats up the battery life of your device.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2021 01:42AM by susan.d.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login