Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Afib for 42 hrs

Posted by Dini 
Afib for 42 hrs
August 08, 2021 08:50PM
Hi!
Usually my Afib lasts for under 24 hours, and occurs every 10-14 days. In March it lasted for 3-1/2 days, and as of now I’ve been in Afib for 42 hours with hr ranging from 82-115.
I am taking metoprolol. In March when I had a long lasting episode the dr told me all the ER would do would be to give be a blood thinner, so I took Eliquis which I had as I was going to try it.
After I went back into normal rhythm in March, I tried Eliquis daily, and got very sick from it. My question is should I go to the ER, or just keep trying the metoprolol and take some Eliquis. The time they tried to cardiovert me it didn’t work they tried 3x. Any suggestions?
Re: Afib for 42 hrs
August 08, 2021 09:52PM
There are other blood thinners. You need to be on a blood thinner. Perhaps try another one. You don’t want a stroke. What is your Chad2 score?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2021 12:32AM by susan.d.
August 08, 2021 10:54PM
August 09, 2021 12:28AM
There's no reason to go the ER and it's unlikely they will do anything useful for you with a heart rate of only 82-115. Just keep taking the metoprolol because that will keep your heart rate down.

If you're CHADS-Vasc score is 1 then you can get by without the Eliquis, but personally that's not a risk I would take. You do realize that Eliquis will have absolutely no effect on your afib, right? It's an anticoagulant and has no effect on your heart rhythm.

You've given us very little information to work with. How old are you? Is this doctor you mentioned a cardiologist, or an electrophysiologist (EP)? As Susan mentioned, there are anticoagulants other than Eliquis if you get side effects from it.

But all in all, what you've described is a pretty typical progression of afib. It sounds like you're headed for or may already be in persistent afib. You need to be under the care of an experienced EP and it doesn't sound like you are. Can you clarify?
August 09, 2021 01:03AM
Sorry for the lack of info. I’ve had paroxysmal Afib for about 9 years, and am 60. I do have an EP, whom I’ve been seeing since my diagnosis. I’ve sensitivities to many meds, as a result only take meds when necessary.
Ken
August 09, 2021 10:29AM
Your history looks similar to mine, but I didn't have any drug sensitivity. After 11 years of afib and over two hundred episodes lasting up to 72 hours (all but one self converted), I went for an ablation. That ablation kept me free of afib for 13 years. Now after a second ablation, I have been free for a year.
August 09, 2021 11:33AM
Wow, that’s incredible to have been Afib free for so long. I too want the ablation, I just need to figure out the AC issue.
August 09, 2021 12:16PM
Dini
Wow, that’s incredible to have been Afib free for so long. I too want the ablation, I just need to figure out the AC issue.

That's the direction you need to go with breakneck speed for both you heart + your peace of MIND.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login