Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

requirements before ablation

Posted by ben saif 
requirements before ablation
July 16, 2021 12:16PM
Carey and others please,
What are the information and requirements ablation doctors want before ablation?
(anti coagulants-antiarrhythmic drugs- TEE- past cardioversions history -prove of afib- …etc
For example is blood thinner a must some time before the ablation?
Same with stopping anti- arr drugs . when?
Answers are much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2021 05:42PM by ben saif.
Re: requirements before ablation
July 16, 2021 07:31PM
When i had my 2 Ablations up in canada in 2017/18 i was to take Xarelto for 30 days prior....that's it but it depends i guess on the determination of the overall health + medical history of the patient if more is needed...Chad scores ect.
Also stopping drugs 5 days before....i personally did not follow that because i was using a PIP + not an everyday drug....i believe for my 2nd Ablation within that 5 day window i had to PIP with Propafenone 2 maybe 3 times to a quick conversion....i could not imagine not taking that miracle drug for me in that time frame to convert.....that would have been 5 days of hell on earth...no way that was happening.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2021 07:39PM by vanlith.
Re: requirements before ablation
July 17, 2021 01:44AM
ben saif
What are the information and requirements ablation doctors want before ablation?
(anti coagulants-antiarrhythmic drugs- TEE- past cardioversions history -prove of afib- …etc
For example is blood thinner a must some time before the ablation?
Same with stopping anti- arr drugs . when?

They'll want to see your records from your previous doctors. That's all. Don't worry about the specifics because the doctors will take care of it between them. Hard to answer what testing will be required since that depends on your specific circumstances, but it's not likely to be more than a blood sample and maybe a chest CT and/or echocardiogram.

As for the drugs, with an experienced EP in the US you'll remain on your anticoagulant before and after the procedure. You'll stop all antiarrhythmic drugs before the procedure, which for most of them will be about 5 days or so, but it will be weeks for amiodarone.

You should get very specific written instructions from your EP's office well before the procedure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login