Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Post ablation afib

Posted by jennifer92151 
Post ablation afib
July 08, 2021 11:27AM
Do some EP's prescribe an arrhythmia drug post ablations to keep the heart in NSR? I was on sotalol before the ablation. I am 8 days in and have already had 2 very long bouts of afib and I don't want my heart creating new pathways for new afib in the future. Is this unreasonable?
Re: Post ablation afib
July 08, 2021 01:38PM
Mine kept me on Flecainide for three months for just that reason, but I went longer because I wanted to.
July 08, 2021 02:58PM
Flecanide causes me too long pauses between beats. I have reported it to the doctor though, hoping there might be something.
July 08, 2021 03:11PM
No matter the dosage? How much were you taking? I'm no doctor, but I have moved my own dosage around between 150mg and 50 mg a day with my EP's OK within that dosage window. I take it some days if I'm feeling a little jumpy. But only 50mg to settle me down.
July 08, 2021 11:42PM
keeferbdeefer
Mine kept me on Flecainide for three months for just that reason, but I went longer because I wanted to.

Flecainide has a black box label for a reason. It isn’t a drug to experiment with. I suggest you wear a two week holter to determine how many pauses you get.
July 09, 2021 10:01AM
I haven't been on it since the pauses
July 09, 2021 10:24AM
Yes, it's common for EPs to prescribe an antiarrhythmic following ablation, but not all do. Although you're in no danger of forming new pathways in a few days or weeks of afib, it's still a patient comfort issue as you've clearly discovered. It should be okay to resume the sotalol, maybe at a reduced dosage, but call your EP and check with them on that. I don't want to tell you it's okay in case they stopped it for a specific reason.
July 09, 2021 12:33PM
I couldn’t go back on sotolol because of my pauses. So my np told me. I’m in multaq instead.
July 09, 2021 08:03PM
Carey thanks for saying that it takes a while to form new pathways. That helps, especially since these episodes have been so long.
July 10, 2021 02:46PM
By the 8th day post successful ablation i had exper. 3 ARR. so i know what you mean.....3 more in the next 4 days were to come for me in late 2018 for a total of 6 in 12 days (6 in 9 really) that i knocked all down in an hour with 150mg chewed Propafenone my best friend ever (used the right way that is) so as the saying goes don't judge a book by it's cover or don't judge/sweat an Ablation esp. by the early portion of the blanking period.
Give it at least a month or 6 weeks before starting to sweat + that may not be enough time....don't take anything too seriously until AT LEAST then.

I would look more into a temp. solution like a PIP (Flec. a side) just to get you over the hump......now that your heart in all likelyhood is very soon going to be fine.

GL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2021 02:51PM by vanlith.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login