Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

7 months Post Ablation - rapid HR?

Posted by Ingrid 
7 months Post Ablation - rapid HR?
July 01, 2021 02:37PM
I had my ablation 7.5 months ago and have not had Afib episode but have been having short bursts of rapid heart beats...usually 10-12 rapid beats at a time and also what feel like skipped beats here and there (PACs?).
3 weeks ago my HR got up to 150 for 10 minutes before converting back to 60 and just today it happened again for 1 minute - shot up to 140-150bpm & then back to normal RHR.

I did wear an event monitor for 1 month about 3 months ago and they caught several of these short bursts but didn't seem too concerned - unless they continue or are more frequent - which I feel they are becoming. And the NP I spoke to asked if I wanted to go on medication - which I don't.

Not sure if this is tachycardia, atrial flutter - (my EP said she saw atrial flutter during the ablation and ablated it); hopefully its not something like VT or SVT?

Having a hard time getting an appointment to see my EP for a follow up.

Any thoughts?
Re: 7 months Post Ablation - rapid HR?
July 01, 2021 04:08PM
Wow very similar in some aspects to me. I had left flutter ablated 3/29. Had 5 good weeks then lots of erratic activity. 8 days of flutter
Then a HR that would not reach 60 no matter what i did. That lasted a few days. Then late may a 181 episode lasted 2.5 hrs. Now in june i get resting HR of 68 that goes to 95-105 in a second. Those last 30 secs to 15 mins. My EP has not corresponded. NP said to monitor. Lol
Are you on eliquis? No anti arrhythmic? Even a beta blkr?
Im going to Austin next week
Someone with better advice will chime in
Tom
July 01, 2021 04:34PM
Poppino
Wow very similar in some aspects to me. I had left flutter ablated 3/29. Had 5 good weeks then lots of erratic activity. 8 days of flutter
Then a HR that would not reach 60 no matter what i did. That lasted a few days. Then late may a 181 episode lasted 2.5 hrs. Now in june i get resting HR of 68 that goes to 95-105 in a second. Those last 30 secs to 15 mins. My EP has not corresponded. NP said to monitor. Lol
Are you on eliquis? No anti arrhythmic? Even a beta blkr?
Im going to Austin next week
Someone with better advice will chime in
Tom

Thanks Tom for your response. I am on no meds at all. I did have HR that went into the 30s prior to the ablation so they never wanted to put me on beta blocker or HR meds. Not on eliquis either. Just taking Natto supplement. If you get any more insight after your Austin visit - let me know and good luck!
July 01, 2021 05:09PM
Yes i will. Atypical Flutter. Left Flutter is not the easy ablation that right flutter is
My EP convinced me he would get it. But im learning that its just not that easy. Thus my trip
You certainly sound like flutter but without capturing on an ekg or even Kardia there is no way to know
I ll be reporting
T
July 02, 2021 12:29AM
Ingrid
Not sure if this is tachycardia, atrial flutter - (my EP said she saw atrial flutter during the ablation and ablated it); hopefully its not something like VT or SVT?

Hi Ingrid,

It's definitely tachycardia because all the means is a heart rate over 100. That's just a descriptive word, not a diagnosis, so don't worry about that.

It's definitely not VT or your doctor and his staff would have paid great attention and done something about it.

It's almost certainly flutter from your history and your description. A regular rhythm with a rate near 150 in someone with your history is almost guaranteed to be flutter. But with only two short, self-terminating episodes in a three-week period, I would recommend doing absolutely nothing for now. Just go about your life and see what happens. These could be one-off episodes that will never happen again, or they could happen just now and then, or they could become more frequent. But until you know which way it's going to go I wouldn't try to do anything about it. I don't think you're in any danger from these episodes so waiting and seeing what happens isn't a risk for you.
July 02, 2021 05:15PM
Carey

Hi Ingrid,

It's definitely tachycardia because all the means is a heart rate over 100. That's just a descriptive word, not a diagnosis, so don't worry about that.

It's definitely not VT or your doctor and his staff would have paid great attention and done something about it.

It's almost certainly flutter from your history and your description. A regular rhythm with a rate near 150 in someone with your history is almost guaranteed to be flutter. But with only two short, self-terminating episodes in a three-week period, I would recommend doing absolutely nothing for now. Just go about your life and see what happens. These could be one-off episodes that will never happen again, or they could happen just now and then, or they could become more frequent. But until you know which way it's going to go I wouldn't try to do anything about it. I don't think you're in any danger from these episodes so waiting and seeing what happens isn't a risk for you.

Thank you so much Carey for this insight and education!

Puts my mind at ease for now anyway. Just got off the phone with an NP at my EPs office and she is going to discuss with my Dr. and said they may want me to wear an event monitor again. Hoping these are just one-offs and don't continue or get worse but if they do and this is flutter
do you think another ablation would possibly help to resolve it in the future or is that less likely or less successful with flutter than afib?
July 02, 2021 06:03PM
It depends on the nature of the flutter. If it's right-sided typical flutter, that's very easy to ablate. But if it's left-sided atypical flutter, that can be quite difficult, but either way, afib is always the most difficult arrhythmia to ablate. Your EP will probably be able to determine which it is if they capture it on a monitor, or even with an ECG in their office.
July 03, 2021 12:32AM
Carey
It depends on the nature of the flutter. If it's right-sided typical flutter, that's very easy to ablate. But if it's left-sided atypical flutter, that can be quite difficult, but either way, afib is always the most difficult arrhythmia to ablate. Your EP will probably be able to determine which it is if they capture it on a monitor, or even with an ECG in their office.

Thanks again Carey. Appreciate your response and insight…it’s very helpful!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login