Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alternatives to Eliquis

Posted by Dini 
Alternatives to Eliquis
June 25, 2021 01:09PM
I have had paroxysmal Afib for 9 years, it occurs about every two weeks and lasts for 17 hours. I have tried Eliquis, but became very tired and confused. I have extreme sensitivity to medications and am not a candidate for ablation because of this. What are my alternatives? 🙏

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2021 05:38PM by Carey.
Re: Alternatives to Eliquis
June 25, 2021 05:39PM
Dini
I have had paroxysmal Afib for 9 years, it occurs about every two weeks and lasts for 17 hours. I have tried Eliquis, but became very tired and confused. I have extreme sensitivity to medications and am not a candidate for ablation because of this. What are my alternatives? 🙏

I don't understand why sensitivity to medications makes you not a candidate for ablation. An ablation is how you get away from the medications.

Also, does that mean you're not taking an anticoagulant now? What is your CHADS-Vasc score?
June 26, 2021 12:50AM
Score is 2. They said because I need to be on a blood thinner for at least 3 months post ablation and I cannot tolerate the blood thinners that I could not have the procedure. I am not on any anti coagulant at this time, due to sensitivity.
Ken
June 26, 2021 08:42AM
Dini,

Not a recommendation, just a consideration requiring some dialogue with your Dr.

I had afib for 11 years, 5 misdiagnosed with no meds. Then diagnosed correctly and over 200 episodes during the next six years. The blood thinner at the time was Warfarin, but because of my very active lifestyle, my Dr. suggested Plavix so the bleeding risk would be reduced. It apparently worked just fine - no stroke, no bleeding and then an ablation that lasted for 13 years. However, my CHADS score at the time (assuming there was one), would have been 0.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2021 08:43AM by Ken.
June 26, 2021 12:28PM
Dini
Score is 2. They said because I need to be on a blood thinner for at least 3 months post ablation and I cannot tolerate the blood thinners that I could not have the procedure. I am not on any anti coagulant at this time, due to sensitivity.

You've tried all the anticoagulants? There are five available in the US: Eliquis, Xarelto, Pradaxa, Savaysa, and warfarin.

But if you can't tolerate any of those, then ablation is indeed off the table for you. Maze procedures also require anticoagulants, so all that's left are the antiarrhythmic drugs (AADs). Have you tried any AADs?
watchman implants
June 27, 2021 10:04AM
I am interested in hearing from those who have the Watchman.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login