Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Danish Soccer Star Collapses ( heart massage)?

Posted by Poppino 
Danish Soccer Star Collapses ( heart massage)?
June 12, 2021 06:23PM
Not sure if you all saw but Danish soccer star Christian Eriksen stumbled and collapsed in a game vs Finland
They did cpr and a heart massage ( whats that?)
He made it to the hospital and is now concious. No report on what happened yet
The video is on espn and youtube.
T
Re: Danish Soccer Star Collapses ( heart massage)?
June 12, 2021 07:36PM
Poppino
They did cpr and a heart massage ( whats that?)

The heart massage part is either a translation issue or bad reporting. He did not receive heart massage because that involves cutting the chest open, reaching in with a hand, and squeezing the heart rhythmically. Clearly not something you do on a soccer field.

From a quick view of the videos, he left the field conscious and alert. So maybe it was cardiac arrest, but I'm skeptical. I've seen CPR started inappropriately many times. Suffering cardiac arrest and then getting some CPR doesn't usually lead to you leaving the scene alive (as in almost never). That only happens in movies. It's not impossible, but if I were betting on it I'd bet he collapsed but did not actually suffer cardiac arrest.
June 12, 2021 07:52PM
đź‘Ť
June 12, 2021 08:16PM
Cardiac massage is an old term for CPR also (from 1961 ). It could easily be how it was translated. One story said the medics had an AED. My wife mentioned she say a clip with him taking a hit, which could have done something. Also, there are latent genetic issues that can occur in athletes that cause ventricular arrhythmias.
June 13, 2021 01:11AM
Yeah, translation error seems likely.

I'm sure the medics had a defibrillator but the camera work is so awful that I can't tell anything more than 1) he collapsed, 2) somebody initiated chest compressions at some point, and 3) he was carried off the field conscious and alive. If the CPR really was justified then I'm sure a defibrillator was used because Denmark has competent EMS and that's the first thing they would do. Also, his survival odds without it would be under 5%.

It'll be interesting to hear what the outcome is. Sudden cardiac arrest in young athletes isn't common but it happens more than people think. I'm not up on the stats but I believe it's usually undiagnosed congenital issues. Easy to miss because nobody does EKGs and stress tests on healthy 20-year old athletes.
June 13, 2021 08:26AM
Carey
Yeah, translation error seems likely.

I'm sure the medics had a defibrillator but the camera work is so awful that I can't tell anything more than 1) he collapsed, 2) somebody initiated chest compressions at some point, and 3) he was carried off the field conscious and alive. If the CPR really was justified then I'm sure a defibrillator was used because Denmark has competent EMS and that's the first thing they would do. Also, his survival odds without it would be under 5%.

It'll be interesting to hear what the outcome is. Sudden cardiac arrest in young athletes isn't common but it happens more than people think. I'm not up on the stats but I believe it's usually undiagnosed congenital issues. Easy to miss because nobody does EKGs and stress tests on healthy 20-year old athletes.

It happened to a young footballer called fabrice muamba, there just so happened to be a cardiac dr watching the game who ultimately saved his life, I know this as after having a 7 day monitor fitted after my successful ablation I received a call from a member of Sabine Ernst team asking me questions like did you pass out?, has any of your family died suddenly?
These questions obviously startled me he then asked do you know the footballer fabrice muamba, I said yes, he said well that’s what we’ve seen on your monitor it’s called NSVT and you need a cardiac mri immediately, worst two weeks of my life waiting for it, had it and dr said all was fine, but as I’d pressed the button to register it it needed investigation.
I explained I hadn’t pressed the button as I didn’t know there was a button to press, he went to see Sabine Ernst who came in, asked me couple questions regarding pressing button, looked at the trace and rolled her eyes and said it’s probably just artefact…. And dismissed it, trouble is now, any tachycardia I have I worry is the VT…
June 13, 2021 11:56AM
Turns out he was defibrillated. The story is behind a pay wall so I've quoted the relevant section:

The doctor, Morten Boesen, led the work in giving Eriksen cardiopulmonary resuscitation after he collapsed during Denmark’s European Championship game against Finland.

“He was gone. And we did cardiac resuscitation. And it was cardiac arrest,” Boesen said in a videoconference with reporters. “How close were we? I don’t know. We got him back after one defib. That’s quite fast.”
June 13, 2021 12:46PM
Nice work Carey. Ok! Whats the difference between Cardiac Arrest and a Heart Attack?
June 13, 2021 01:33PM
Poppino
Whats the difference between Cardiac Arrest and a Heart Attack?

Cardiac arrest is exactly what it sounds like: It's when the heart stops pumping blood. A person who suffers cardiac arrest will drop unconscious immediately. Having no pulse, they are now considered clinically dead. If the person doesn't receive immediate CPR and other measures to keep blood flowing followed by defibrillation and/or drugs to restart the heart, they will be physically dead within minutes. (The brain can survive about 5 minutes maximum without blood flow.)

Heart attack occurs when blood supply to part of the heart is stopped or reduced severely. The affected muscle then begins to die, and will die if something isn't done promptly to restore the blood flow (stent, balloon angioplasty, bypass surgery, etc). Depending on which parts and how much of the heart tissue is affected, this can lead to cardiac arrest. Alternatively, if prompt care is received, they could walk out of the hospital the next day feeling perfectly fine. And then in between those two extremes is a range of outcomes, including heart failure.

TL;DR: Cardiac arrest = dead, at least temporarily. Heart attack = not dead but could end up that way.
June 13, 2021 02:32PM
In 1983 i had a 280z several girlfriends a great gym miami vice clothes
Now im online discussing heart failure. What happened!?
Thanks for clarification Carey
June 13, 2021 06:53PM
If it makes you feel any better, I also had a 280ZX in 1983. Got married the same year, so not as many girlfriends. And although I never dressed in Miami Vice clothes, I do have a photo of my 280 parked in front of my father's house in Miami, FL where I grew up.
June 13, 2021 07:16PM
I still have an '88 300 ZX with 104,000 miles. A great wife and an excellent home gym. No Vice clothes...
June 13, 2021 09:01PM
Too funny! I was born in Hollywood. Grewup in miami. Went to UM
I was 30 in 83 and life was vg
June 14, 2021 12:46AM
Go figure. A Danish soccer player suffers cardiac arrest and the Afibbers ZX club is born.
June 17, 2021 01:03AM
GeorgeN
I still have an '88 300 ZX with 104,000 miles...

How many of those involved pushing?

cool smiley
June 17, 2021 09:40AM
wolfpack

I still have an '88 300 ZX with 104,000 miles...

How many of those involved pushing?

cool smiley

Actually its been very reliable car. Around 2002, Nissan replaced the injectors for free. It is not the turbo model which has the maintenance hog reputation. The timing belt replacement is at 60,000, so did that & clutch actually failed because of age around 100K. Otherwise very few issues besides routine maintenance. It is always garaged and only driven in nice weather, though I do run M/S tires on it as you never know when you might get caught in something in our Colorado weather. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login