Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Past 10 Days - New Strange Rhythm

Posted by Poppino 
Past 10 Days - New Strange Rhythm
June 07, 2021 03:35PM
Ok im inside 4 weeks from Austin - during the past 10 days my heart just clicks and goes from 60-62 at rest to 83-90 at rest
This happens multiple times a day. Yesterday i stayed busy. Worked out in garage and went for a long walk at the high school
Zero episodes. Then at rest aftet dinner another only last seconds to minutes then back to 61. If i want i can convert the faster
Rate by simply doing pushups. Immediately. So i know both rates are acceptable but not normal to go from 62 to 88 in two seconds
Of course idk if its tachy brady? Sinus tach atrial tach or low rate flutter. It also does not happen in sleep i dont think. Any thoughts?
Tom
Re: Past 10 Days - New Strange Rhythm
June 08, 2021 03:39AM
Poppino

I'm 9 weeks post Ablation and mines going from 70 to 40 to 200+. One lasted 2 hours at the high rate. the others dropped back to a more manageable level 100-140. Our wayward hearts smiling smiley

Kind Regards

Joy Win
June 08, 2021 07:27AM
So Joy - what does your EP say? How do they explain it?

T
June 08, 2021 10:00AM
Poppino
How do they explain it?

Your heart rate is perfectly normal and doesn't need explanation. The only reason you think it doesn't happen during sleep is because that's the one time you're not constantly checking your pulse. You should try that while you're awake for a more stress free life.

Joy's, not so much. Sounds like she's probably experiencing some flutter, which isn't uncommon following an ablation.
June 08, 2021 11:11AM
Thanks Carey its just that ive never had this experience since 2005
All totally different and new. Im doing better with pulse ckg
At the gym now just gonna let it do whatever
In all honesty youre just a bit tougher than me. 4-5 ablations etc
But appreciate!
June 08, 2021 02:18PM
It's not about toughness. You sure you've never had this experience since 2005? The fluctuations you describe are pretty normal. If you weren't checking your pulse constantly before now, you never would have noticed the swings.
June 08, 2021 03:23PM
Very true. In my cardiology notes Dr Holshouser says: Tom is very cardiac aware checking pulse
And white coat syndrome. I can feel immediately that im at 90 rather than 55-75. Today at gym zero
Normal up down though i dont do high cardio. No doubt i have low level
Anxiety
June 08, 2021 08:09PM
Poppino
I can feel immediately that im at 90 rather than 55-75.
Anxiety

All of which are perfectly normal, so anxiety is the issue you need to address, not your heart rate. Unless you're under 50 or over 100, there's absolutely no reason to pay any attention to your heart rate. Those changes don't mean anything more than proving you have normal cardiac function.

And I hope that you and everyone else here is aware that following an ablation an elevated and more labile resting heart rate is normal and can last for upwards of a year. If you're taking beta blockers or diltiazem, you might not be aware of this but stop taking them and you will be. Lots of discussion about this here in the past.
June 12, 2021 08:52AM
I had all kinds of weird stuff happen in the months after my ablation. Short bursts of tachycardia out of the blue. Bi-geminal PVCs for hours at a time (yes, these were PVCs as I could get them on my Kardia). Even woke up the on-call EP at Duke to read the EKG (he wasn’t happy). It all turned out to be nothing and went away over time.
June 20, 2021 01:09PM
Wolfpack - so glad you shared so I don't feel so lone ranger! Did an EP at Duke do your ablation? I was seeing Dr Jackson a year ago but had a follow up visit with a member of his team who was a condescending jerk. Hoping to find a good EP at Wake. With this condition, I need all the compassion I can get! They refused to agree to my Kardia. They said they weren't fans. Once I was told I could use Flecainide as PIP. Then told at later visit I must go to ER with afib each time. I had afib yesterday, went to ER and put in waiting area for 8hr without seeing MD. So I discharged myself. Took an Ativan and it converted back. Wondering what my cardiologist will say/do tomorrow.
June 21, 2021 11:14PM
Muntz
Wolfpack - so glad you shared so I don't feel so lone ranger! Did an EP at Duke do your ablation? I was seeing Dr Jackson a year ago but had a follow up visit with a member of his team who was a condescending jerk. Hoping to find a good EP at Wake. With this condition, I need all the compassion I can get! They refused to agree to my Kardia. They said they weren't fans. Once I was told I could use Flecainide as PIP. Then told at later visit I must go to ER with afib each time. I had afib yesterday, went to ER and put in waiting area for 8hr without seeing MD. So I discharged myself. Took an Ativan and it converted back. Wondering what my cardiologist will say/do tomorrow.

Yes, my one and only (so far) ablation was done at Duke by Dr. Kevin Thomas.

I’m leery of Wake. They’re a huge commercial enterprise. They all are these days, but Wake is the huge-est. And Chapel Hill? Look at my username…

No one should whine about a Kardia. To me that’s a warning sign. You’re a dinosaur and should be on your way to a petroleum refinery. No doctor should reject data because it wasn’t taken by him or her. Grow up.
Ken
June 22, 2021 02:45PM
Muntz,

I have had two ablations, 14 years ago and the other 1.5 years ago with a Dr. in Dallas, TX. However, since I am in Raleigh, Dr. James Daubert EP was recommended by my Dr. in Dallas. I had a video appointment with Dr. Daubert (greet and meet) and a follow up in person meeting with his Nurse Practitioner - Andrea Rebecca Yapejian. Both were excellent, especially Andrea. Who would I see for another ablation if needed? Not sure. As I understand it, my Dr. in Dallas is pulling back from ablations and is doing more research and hospital administration.

Both my ablations were successful, the question is for how long. 13 years for the first and going on 1.5 years for the second.
June 22, 2021 11:36PM
Ken - Thanks for sharing that info! I haven't been told yet that I need an ablation. But if my cardiologist decides to recommend someone, I'll definitely check them out! I appear to be having more afib episodes the older I get (no stopping that!). It was 10yr between first and second episode, then 3yr before the third which was this week. The rest of my days are overwhelmed with ectopics that scare me into thinking "here comes another afib". If you don't mind me asking, what all lead up to your first ablation? And again, thanks!
June 27, 2021 02:11PM
Ken...If you are in Raleigh there is an excellent EP in Durham. Patrick Hranitzky, he is part of Natalie's group. He had been at Wake Med but has now opened an office in Durham, North Carolina Arrythmia Associates. He is currently doing ablations at UNC. He did my ablation 3 years ago. He did a great job, actually his whole team is awesome. When he left Wake, his 2 nurses went with him. Check him out. Actually I think Daubert was also at Wake at that time. I think he is also part of Natalie's group.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login