Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Intro and Question

Posted by SiestaJimmy 
Intro and Question
May 30, 2021 12:03PM
Hi all,

I recently discovered your site and already found some useful info reading some of your experiences (Thanks)!

I’m 80 years young, and had a quad by-pass 4 years ago. For 2 years after the operation, all was good. Then I started experiencing some Afib every few months. My typical episode starts about 9-10pm while I’m totally relaxed watching TV. I get short-breathed, weak, and maybe sick feeling. My heart races and skips, etc. 110-150 etc.

(FYI - I’m currently on 50mg metoprolol (twice daily), 50mg losartan, and 40mg lovastatin). I used to drink fairly heavily, I cut way down to almost nothing (1-2 “standard” drinks max), and that helped, but I still seem to get an episode every 2 months or so.

I’ve tried all the stuff I’ve read, but nothing really stops it. Currently I “treat” it by trying my best to relax. I take an extra 50mg metoprolol. (My doc said OK). I sit slightly reclined watching a “soothing” video (with very soothing music) on Youtube, while practicing (as much as possible), controlled breathing. I drink ice-water. If I’m lucky, in about 4 hours it subsides enough that I fall asleep.

My question is, does anyone use (or have experience) using 5 or 10mg diazepam to help relax? I’m not saying to stop the Alib, I’m asking to help me relax more and get through it. (I will be asking my doc at some future visit).
Re: Intro and Question
May 30, 2021 06:31PM
In my humble opinion if you are able get an ablation then pursue that..... if not wean off those drugs or keep them i don't know its not my dept. to tell you that but since its only around 1 a month take a serious PIP like Flec or my fav. Chewed Propafenone to convert.
When i was Afib bound i could only dream of 1 ep. a month so in the world of afib your doing pretty good.
Drugs are only a band aid....try to get it ablated + if not use a heavy duty conversion drug to stop it in its tracks....believe me knowing you can stop it within an hour or 2 of starting goes a LONG way towards some type of peace of mind.

GL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2021 06:32PM by vanlith.
May 30, 2021 07:06PM
There have been several posters here that have used it to help convert, and I also asked this question to my EP Dr. He said has had a few patients who have used this type of drug to help convert. I would ask this to your Cardio Dr. to add to your regimen.
Most of use here use Beta-Blockers (Metropolol) and/or Calcium Channel Blockers (Diltiazem) in the circumstance of an AFIB episode if we need to slow and calm the heart down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2021 07:12PM by The Anti-Fib.
June 03, 2021 04:13PM
If u have even one "standard" drink, that alcohol could be the trigger that you do not want. And re. diazepam and other similar drugs, they DO INDEED help me a lot; just a fraction is all I need usually. It would seem that the afib begets stress and the stress begets afib, so taking a calming agent short circuits all that. Best of luck! I am 77 and I know how disconcerting this can be.
June 21, 2021 05:34PM
Jaydee212
If u have even one "standard" drink, that alcohol could be the trigger that you do not want. And re. diazepam and other similar drugs, they DO INDEED help me a lot; just a fraction is all I need usually. It would seem that the afib begets stress and the stress begets afib, so taking a calming agent short circuits all that. Best of luck! I am 77 and I know how disconcerting this can be.

Agree with that completely. Metropolol (even 12.5 mg) has the same effect on me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login