Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introduction and experience so far

Posted by Blastco2 
Introduction and experience so far
May 29, 2021 10:58PM
Hi
I've been lurking here since summer 2020, when I was diagnosed with afib. I'm 63 and in otherwise good health. Living in SE Idaho on a volcano. Still working full time.
I also have aflutter diagnosed Aug 2019. Converted with metoprolo. Back in flutter Dec 2019. Chemical conversion with diltiazem. June 2020, using the robot nurse at work to check my blood pressure, I noticed that my HR was fluctuating, several days in a row. Went to my GP. He said oh, you have afib, fill these prescriptions and go live your life. Metoprolo, amioderone and xerelto. Also sent me for an echo. I chemically converted. In Sept 2020, back in afib, saw a cardiologist, he did a TEE and cardioversion. Nov 2020 to the ER for another cardioversion. Jan 2021, in afib, saw my cardiologist, he changed my meds to flecinide and cardizem which did nothing, in afib for a month, wouldn't return calls. Fired him on Feb 3 2020. Went back to my gp who put me back on metoprolol and amioderone. Converted 3 days later. About March 10 2020 back in afib and stayed in till the ablation. Started looking in earnest for an EP. Found Dr Otto in Pocatello. She did a cryo ablation for afib and flutter, on May 27th. That was an experience. Instructions were, no food or drink after midnight, be at the hospital 930 am. While waiting for my turn, over the PA, CODE BLUE CATH LAB! The patient survived. But, they didn't get me in till 3pm, done and in my room at 8pm. No food or water for 20hrs, I was in pretty rough shape. General anesthesia just sucks. I'd almost rather go with nothing than have General. Felt like I had been shot at and missed, shat at and hit. I got lucky in that they assigned me the best Nurse ever! Thank you Maddy! Dr. Otto said it went well and that they shocked me back into nsr when she was finished. I've been nsr since. It sure feels good!
Re: Introduction and experience so far
May 30, 2021 01:01AM
I’m happy for you. I wish you a long life free of afib or flutter!
May 30, 2021 02:06AM
Good news for you ! You'll find lots of infos well worth reading here about the "blanking period" that's starting for you.
About GA, I know what you're talking about. Some patients have really hard days to recover from it.
May 30, 2021 05:43PM
Hi blastco,

I think your cardio was actually trying to help you. Why a GP would go straight to the ami is a bit weird. They have no business prescribing that. Yes, it works, but it’s the nuclear option and comes with serious side effects like turning you into a Smurf and torching your lungs. It’s not, nor anywhere near, step one for a-fib.

Glad you found an EP. That’s where you want to be for AF. Best of luck on your cryo-ablation success in the coming months! Hopefully it’s all you’ll ever need. If it isn’t, though, I’d recommend not doing another cryo but rather an RF procedure. The RF operators can get to more stuff, basically.
June 02, 2021 09:37PM
Hi Wolfpack
I was on flecinide from a cardiologist before the amioderone. The cardiologistts that I saw at Idaho heart Institute were no help. Things like, a month to call in a new script, extremely difficult to get someone on the phone, condescending attitude. My gp has been seeing me for >20 years. The Ami was just to get me by till I could find another cardio. Found one and he immediately referred me to the ep on staff at his office. Only on the Ami since Feb 3 21. Now lowering the dose. I think it is affecting my lungs, little short of breath and a fair amount of phlegm.
6 days post ablation, still nsr and no irregular rhythm that I can detect.

I wrote the above and forgot to post it. Went to see my EP today. She listened to my heart said it sounds perfect. I told her that I've been nsr since the procedure. So amioderone is now 200mg once per day. Metoprolol XL 50 mg 1 Per day. my BP is in the 140/85 range she wants it lower. She added losartan 50 mg 1 per day. Next visit in 60 days. Said that if I've had no problems, still nsr she will drop the Ami and Coumadin. Anti coagulation gives me serious back pain and sciatica. None of my Drs have any idea why.
June 04, 2021 10:43PM
So the thing to know about amiodarone is that the drug does not clear the body renally. You don’t “pee it out”. It takes weeks, if not months, to clear. Likewise, when you start it, it takes a long time to “build up”. It literally has to get into every cell of your body to start working on the heart. That’s why, in normal circumstances, amiodarone is started in a hospital setting with an intravenous loading dose. I’m guessing that your GP, like most GPS nowadays, doesn’t have admission privileges at a hospital. So hence the oral start if I’ve understood you correctly. That will work, yes, but it’s not the norm. Suffice it to say that modulating oral amiodarone intake on a day-to-day basis is really ineffective and pointless.

All that being said, I think getting off of the “nuclear option” anti-arrhythmic is a good plan. I wish you the best of luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login