Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Long term survival of having a pacemaker?

Posted by susan.d 
Long term survival of having a pacemaker?
May 24, 2021 11:32PM
[academic.oup.com]

It’s an old article so I hope life expectancy numbers have gone up. It says if one has afib the numbers are lower.

Newer studies (still old) say 61% after 7 years however if one has no heart disease than one’s age mirrors the general population. Which doesn’t make sense because the first link mentioned afib will lower the numbers.
[www.escardio.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2021 11:44PM by susan.d.
Re: Long term survival of having a pacemaker?
May 25, 2021 12:01AM
Susan:

I had my pacemaker installed in 1997, the battery lasted until around 2012 and had a new pacer put in. So all totaled, I have had a pacemaker for 23 years and i have had AF during all those years, I had paraoximal AF until about a year ago when I became permanent AF.

I am still going strong, so quit worrying.
May 25, 2021 08:46AM
susan.d
however if one has no heart disease than one’s age mirrors the general population. Which doesn’t make sense because the first link mentioned afib will lower the numbers.

I interpret the statement that your life expectancy is a function of your underlying health conditions. I don't think having a pacer is causative for death. In fact, if you have a condition requiring a pacer and you don't get one, it likely extends life.
May 25, 2021 09:32AM
My father had a pacemaker. His death was caused by a fall and unrelated to any heart or health issues. When he turned 70, I began to reiterate the caution needed to 'not fall'. Bones are fragile, recovery takes a long time and lots of muscle is lost which in turn leads to more falls. # 1 tip IMHO is DON'T FALL. Pop lived 16 years with a pacemaker and his only frustration was it limited his heart rate when riding a bicycle.
May 26, 2021 01:51PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
When he turned 70, I began to reiterate the caution needed to 'not fall'. Bones are fragile, recovery takes a long time and lots of muscle is lost which in turn leads to more falls. # 1 tip IMHO is DON'T FALL.

Great advice! Hard to follow for a 65 year old with the frontal lobe of an 18 year old male. Learning how to fall in years of judo class and also playing American football as a youth help. I also do balance training on a slackline most days (in addition to training strength, power, agility & speed) . Many of the activities I do have fall risk: skiing, rock climbing, unicycling, slacklining, squats on a swiss ball and so on. I can and do fall in them, my worst recent injury was a torn shoulder labrum wiping out skiing at 40 MPH (I now hang from a bar daily for 90 seconds to keep the shoulder happy). Also a whipper rock climbing where I ripped a lot of skin off my palms.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login