Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does anyone know Michael Goldstien in Annapolis, Md?

Posted by lisa s 
Does anyone know Michael Goldstien in Annapolis, Md?
May 20, 2021 11:14PM
I have an ablation scheduled for 6 Oct.

He was referred to my by my cardiologist after my Afib went from less than 24 hours to multiple days. Boom! I'm right on the edge of paroxysmal to persistent.

This is after being diagnosed for 15 years, and (I believe) after 40 years after my first episode.

Well, anyway does anyone know of him?

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
Re: Does anyone know Michael Goldstein in Annapolis, Md?
May 22, 2021 01:21PM
Lisa,

Maybe no one responded because the name was spelled wrong.

[www.medstarhealth.org]

Are you thinking about getting an ablation?

Maybe tell us more about your history, what you've done for afib and current health parameters.

Lot of helpful people here but they need more info to give guidance/advice.
May 22, 2021 06:13PM
The first and almost the only question you should ask about this doctor is how many afib ablations he has done in total, and currently how many he does per year. (Not other kinds of ablations.) The answer you want to hear is thousands in total, or at least many hundreds, and more than 4-5 per month. The same criteria apply to the center where he will do the procedure. You want to be in a center where afib ablations are a daily affair.

Afib ablations are the most complex of all, and they require a mix of both technical knowledge and physical skills that can only be acquired through extensive experience. Don't be impressed by academic credentials and lofty titles. (I had three ablations botched by a guy with very impressive credentials and titles.) Also don't rely too much on other people's personal anecdotes. A good bedside manner is nice and all but your face to face time with any EP is going to be measured in minutes, so choose Darth Vader, MD who's done thousands of ablations over Marcus Welby, MD who's done a couple hundred.

I can't glean much information on this doctor, so the easiest way to learn this information is to call his office and simply ask. The staff should be able to give you at least some round numbers.

One question: Why is the procedure so far out? Even Natale could probably get you in by July.
May 23, 2021 08:24AM
Carey
The first and almost the only question you should ask about this doctor is how many afib ablations he has done in total, and currently how many he does per year. (Not other kinds of ablations.) The answer you want to hear is thousands in total, or at least many hundreds, and more than 4-5 per month. The same criteria apply to the center where he will do the procedure. You want to be in a center where afib ablations are a daily affair.

Afib ablations are the most complex of all, and they require a mix of both technical knowledge and physical skills that can only be acquired through extensive experience. Don't be impressed by academic credentials and lofty titles. (I had three ablations botched by a guy with very impressive credentials and titles.) Also don't rely too much on other people's personal anecdotes. A good bedside manner is nice and all but your face to face time with any EP is going to be measured in minutes, so choose Darth Vader, MD who's done thousands of ablations over Marcus Welby, MD who's done a couple hundred.

I can't glean much information on this doctor, so the easiest way to learn this information is to call his office and simply ask. The staff should be able to give you at least some round numbers.

One question: Why is the procedure so far out? Even Natale could probably get you in by July.

What’s your opinion on the royal Brompton and Sabine Ernst??
May 23, 2021 12:05PM
Juggsy75
What’s your opinion on the royal Brompton and Sabine Ernst??

I don't really have an opinion on them as regards ablations. I know of her through her research, and I know she does ablations and has pioneered some robotic work, so she's probably highly experienced at ablations, but that's about as much as I can say.
Re: Does anyone know Michael Goldstien in Annapolis, Md?
May 23, 2021 02:21PM
I found a photo of the young Dr online.

[www.baltimoresun.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login