Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Without a thyroid & restarting diff thy meds post ablation

Posted by Madeline 
Without a thyroid & restarting diff thy meds post ablation
May 17, 2021 11:29PM
I just wanted to ask if anyone else is possibly without a thyroid like myself who was perhaps on natural dessicated thyroid (NDT) replacement long before their afib & flutter began. Once I decided on ablation by Natale ~1 1/2 yr after diagnosis, I have never returned to full natural dessicated thyroid meds again bec drs fear return of heart problems. Actually the meds were changed before the ablation.

My ablation was August 2019. I have not had any arrhythmias for a year now (May 2020 to May 2021). I do get fatigue midday to early evening & my free T3 & free T4 levels have both dropped below good ranges while taking a combination of Levoxyl (brand levo) & the tiniest amount possible of NP Thyroid (natural dessicated). I am wanting to increase my dose a bit, but it is really recommended not to mix NDT & synthetic T4 bec of buildup of T4. It is preferable to take straight synthetic T3 (without the extra T4) if you are needing to add to the levo dose. BUT, I believe it is difficult to use T3 unless you really understand it. I have read on my thyroid groups about starting it in tiny amounts & building up as tolerated & checking labs along the way. In the past when I asked my endo about it, he was hesitant to try it.

Has anyone here had much experience with any of this? I have been thyroidless (post-surgical) since 2005, but having had the arrhythmias has changed my whole regimen & now that it has been a year without heart problems, I wonder if I can't take a bit more in the way of the thyroid meds I am describing.

Thanks for any input.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login