Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Altitude and afib?
May 08, 2021 08:35AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on high altitude causing afib? My wife and I are traveling and are at a bit over 6000 feet, and I've read a few things that higher altitude can be a strain on the heart and maybe even cause afib? I've gotten a few extra ectopics so far, but nothing more fyi...been here 4 days now.
Ken
Re: Altitude and afib?
May 08, 2021 08:47AM
While I had afib, 11 years prior to my first ablation, I made annual, week long ski trips to elevations, generally between 8-12,000 ft. Never had afib while skiing. The 13 years post ablation, same deal, annual ski trips = no afib. Dehydration can be an issue at elevation, generally because of the extra breathing and dry (low humidity) air.
May 08, 2021 10:26AM
You're at the same (or lower) altitude as being on a flight to Disney World and last I heard flying to Orlando doesn't cause afib. winking smiley Cabin pressure on modern aircraft is held at about 6,000 ft (1,800 m) and 8,000 ft (2,400 m) on older aircraft.

Ken has a good point about dehydration, though, and dehydration is one of the very few things I know of that is a trigger for everyone.
May 08, 2021 11:29AM
Agree with Ken. There is also a tendency to attribute afib triggers to about anything once you have afib. I never found one that I could stop doing and as a result stop afib. If only living at sea level was a cure. We'd all be building a resort in Death Valley.
May 08, 2021 12:48PM
I live at 5500' and skied yesterday at elevations up to 12,700' and not an issue for me. I spend a lot of time sleeping at elevations up to 10,500' when traveling without issue. Everyone is different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2021 12:49PM by GeorgeN.
May 08, 2021 04:57PM
Great responses, thanks to everyone!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login