Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Intro - New Member Rattana

Posted by rattana 
Intro - New Member Rattana
April 09, 2021 06:38PM
Dear Friends,

I am 76 years old, 77 July 3, practicing yoga daily since 25, Kundalini Yoga since 33. Healthy and healthy life style. No damage to heart from images taken in hospital. Just worn a bit from anxiety and the challenges of human life.

AFIB HISTORY -- I had a non-covid virus for 1 month in June. While recuperating in July I started having shooting chest pains for 10-20 minutes at a time. Jan. 19 the pains started again and lasted for 14 hours. (I never even thought about something the matter with my heart.) I went to see my doctor and he said I had afib and sent me to the emergency room. I was in the hospital for 3 days. They put me on blood thinner and diltiazem. Had a cardioversion 2 weeks later, which kept me out of afib for 3 weeks. Back into afib, Dr changed medication to metoprolol. Had a second cardioversion a week later. Dr. put me on 4 x 25 mg, metoprolol, but reduced to 2 x 25 mg when I said I could barely function, too tired. Heart went back into afib (with the medication) April 2.

I am joining you for advise on what to do next. Actually I believe my best option is to have a ablation. I would welcome an alternative, but have investigated and the best I can find is take supplements (which I am doing) and slow down my heart beat with breathing (which I can do) but it doesn’t take me out of afib.

My doctor is referring me to Dr. Jigar Patel who is the doctor who specializes in ablations at Scripts Mercy Hillcrest, San Diego, where I was a patient. I have to stay with my SCAN health care plan (HMO) because they will be the one who pays for it.

Thanks for any advise or references. (I have read the useful afib 101 information.)

Many blessings to all,
Rattana :+)
Re: Intro - New Member Rattana
April 10, 2021 01:08PM
Welcome Rattana!

Notice you didn't mention any rhythm med in what was prescribed. The metoprolol will keep rate low, but unlikely to keep you in rhythm. Sounds like you are basically in good health, hence you might discuss a) cardioversion preceded or followed by b) a script for a rhythm med like flecainide. Don't know what you are doing for supplements, but magnesium and potassium are the likely choices. Again, these won't convert you, they might help you stay in rhythm.

George
April 10, 2021 02:16PM
Hi George,
Thank you for the suggestions. I will ask the doctor about a med for rhythm. I think diltiazem (the first med she had me on) was for rhythm (?) but it made my ankles swell so she changed to metoprolol. I will ask her about what you suggest.

Yes I am in good health. I take magnesium. I feel I am on the right dose when my legs don't cramp when I wake up. I will get some potassium. I am probably low, because I started wanted to eat bananas :+) I had given them up for a couple years to not add too much sugar. I was on keto for 2 years (2 years ago when I gave up my favorite --banana, tahini, and cardamom).

I won't list all my supplements (all of which my dr said are fine)

I found out that if one is on metoprolol one needs 1T daily of cod liver oil supplement to replace what is depleted.
I got Carlson Norwegian from ebay (slightly less that iherb.com)

We also need 400 mg CoQ10 daily if on metoprolol. ( also because of depletion)

My big question is can I get out of AFIB and stay out without the ablation? I guess the typical and on-going search.

Many thanks for your help.

Blessings,

April 10, 2021 03:10PM
rattana
I think diltiazem (the first med she had me on) was for rhythm (?) but it made my ankles swell so she changed to metoprolol. I will ask her about what you suggest.

Diltiazem is a calcium channel blocker. It is a rate control drug as is metoprolol, not a rhythm med.

My big question is can I get out of AFIB and stay out without the ablation?

Yes, a very individual question. I've managed to minimize afib for 16 and 1/2 years after an initial 2 1/2 month episode. My path to afib was chronic fitness, so my plan staying out of afib includes detraining from hard endurance training and competition, magnesium to bowel tolerance, 2 tsp of potassium citrate in a liter of water sipped through the day (my version of "timed" release as a bolus of potassium will be urinated out quickly) and 2 gr of taurine powder. I also keep myself very metabolically fit and physically fit, but my exercise is very strategic not to go into long duration combined with high intensity.

You can be cardioverted, but how to stay in rhythm? That is the question. I'm guessing you will need something to do that. Hence the suggestion for the rhythm med. I've used the med, flecainide, as an on-demand drug to put me back in rhythm. This may also be an option, if you go out of rhythm relatively infrequently. The more frequent, the more daily use of the med would be indicated.
April 11, 2021 02:46AM
Welcome, Rattana.
There are helpful people here, I'm sure you'll find very good advice.
April 11, 2021 05:20AM
Welcome from Nanaimo, BC! Lots of help and good information and discussions here.

kim
April 11, 2021 10:15AM
How much magnesium are you taking?

Sam
April 11, 2021 01:42PM
1250 mg (about 1/2 t before bed of magnesium glycinate (in warm water) and 250 mag oxide and citrate in a time release capsule.
Suggestions welcome :+)
:
April 11, 2021 02:09PM
Thank you for this useful information and about your path, which seems like you have gotten your afib under control with your practices. That is impressive.

Did you ever have an abalation?

Nothing I have done like breathing and rhythmic meditation got me out of afib. I can slow my heart rate down to 58 but still in afib. I am trying some herbs and other body work treatments now.

Even with the conversion and the medication, I went back into afib.

That is why I am considering the ablatioin.

Has anyone taken CBD (with very low THC) that helped change afib state? .
April 11, 2021 05:57PM
rattana
Has anyone taken CBD (with very low THC) that helped change afib state? .

I've never tried it, but I've heard from a number of people who have and I've not heard a single success story. I also know two people who have afib and use marijuana recreationally and they say it neither helps nor hurts.
April 11, 2021 06:25PM
Hey Rattana...its David!!! smiling smiley

So glad you're on the forum!

I asked my provider Nurse Practitioner Kristi Pangborn at Scripps La Jolla Electrophysiology/Cardiology if, as a patient of Scripps Hillcrest you could be referred to Dr. Andrea Natale who operates at Scripps La Jolla for an ablation. She thought it would not be a problem.

You can call their scheduler Dori Aguilar to talk about it: (858) 824-5002. The idea that your HMO is making you go with Dr. Patel doesn't really make sense, since Scripps Mercy Hillcrest and Scripps La Jolla are part of the same hospital system and corporation. If you have to push a little to get the referral to Natale, it's worth it IMHO.

Can you get out of afib and stay out without an ablation? This is the holy grail! Some (a few) have been able to do it, GeorgeN being a notable example. On the other hand, Shannon, myself and others tried tons of natural solutions and were not able to accomplish it. Everyone is different.

I wish you the best in life and in health....

David K
April 11, 2021 09:30PM
rattana
Thank you for this useful information and about your path, which seems like you have gotten your afib under control with your practices. That is impressive.

Did you ever have an ablation?

If you are referring to me, the answer is no. I've been successful so far. I would certainly pursue David K's excellent idea to see if it can work for you!
April 12, 2021 02:18PM
Hi David and Everyone!

Thank you so much David for introducing me to the forum. I have already received valuable information from generous members.

I understand that except for George what we do can be beneficial for overall health, but not for taking us out of AFIB. That is my result so far too. I do continue to take care of my internal anxiety, which I consider the primal cause after all these years. My goal is to match my internal mental emotional state with what my heart likes and so it can stay out of AFIB after the ablation. I am going to try CBD with this goal in mind.

I called Dorie just now and she was very friendly. Unfortunately she said that my SCAN hmo insurance is with Scripts Mercy Hillcrest and they don't accept this at Scripts La Jolla, which is a different system. (Confusing because of the similar names.) So I can't be referred or go there. Too bad. Thank you so much for trying to open up this possibility for me.

I will continue to try to get information on Dr. Jigar Patel. Dori knew he was the surgeon, but didn't know for how long.

From the Tao - If you consider every difficulty as an opportunity, then one day you will have no difficulties.

Many blessings to all of you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login