Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Increased Ectopy post Moderna Vacine

Posted by Fibrillator 
Increased Ectopy post Moderna Vacine
March 11, 2021 08:55PM
Just had my second shot a couple days ago. Ever since 1st, my PAC's have been way above baseline. For reference my last 7 day monitor was early this year and I had 300 ish PAC's over the 7 days. Currently I cannot run a 30 sec Kardia strip without at least 1 or 2, occasional 3. So if I extrapolate that to 2 per minute that would be 2,880 per day, cut it in half, 1440, compared to 300 over 7 days WAY above baseline.

For the record I am coming up on 4 years post my successful Natale ablation, I have a PLSVC (Persistent Left Super Vena Cava) so I had extensive work done in my coronory sinus as well and in the PLSVC to isolate that big extra pipe.

Could be purely coincidental, just putting it out there. I would not hesitate to get vaccine as the alternative is no good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2021 09:05PM by Fibrillator.
Re: Increased Ectopy post Moderna Vacine
March 11, 2021 11:42PM
I hope it all settles down for you and I hope it's not related. I had my first afib episode in 5 months 3 days after my first shot of the Moderna vaccine. I'm not thinking it is related but who knows about any of this. Afib included.
March 12, 2021 04:07AM
My friend is a nurse and teaches @ a local college.
Two weeks ago one of the student's excused herself from class saying she wasn't feeling well. My friend followed her to make sure she was ok. When she arrived to the room the student was flat on the floor.
They immediately summoned the other instructor and students.The girl was in some sort of tachacardia ecardia. It was a great real world training experience for the students.
The student had just had their second Covid shot a day or two before. Up until this time they had no history of heart issues. Student is still having issues to this point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2021 07:37PM by rocketritch.
March 12, 2021 09:38AM
You can't associate large deviation type events without statistical methods.

As for the student who had some kind of episode, this is an example of faulty inference. There is no reason to believe that it was due to anything but random chance, where the null hypothesis is perhaps even more likely due to supplied information (why has a student received 2 shots of vaccine already? comorbidity,?)

I had my first Moderna shot 3 weeks ago, and have felt generally well with apparently less ectopy and no afib.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2021 05:28PM by safib.
March 12, 2021 09:55AM
I knew this post would generate the statistical don't draw conclusions crowd quickly. I noted for that reason it could be purely coincidental. Just putting one guy's experience out there.
March 12, 2021 10:01AM
Actually, it drew the ignore the statistics and intimate the vaccine is responsible crowd first and in greater numbers
March 12, 2021 10:05AM
Statistics are great unless you are the 1 in 100. This place should be about sharing experiences and it often feels like people proving a point. I have no agenda or point with my post. Simply one variable changed in my life this month and here is what I am experiencing. That variable happens to be a vaccine and may or may not have anything to do.

If all we want to to do is cling to studies and post over and over. Let's just create one thread, "Have Afib, go see Dr, Natale" no further discussion allowed about anything smileys with beer
March 12, 2021 10:46AM
Where do you get 1 in 100? What if it is 1 in 10^6? Do you think that matters? I do.

I am in no way suggesting that you don't have a right to post your view. The scorn and sarcasm which you posted in response to my alternative view suggests you want to quiet me. Well when I see this kind of thing posted I am going to respond unless Carey or Shannon say otherwise
March 12, 2021 11:10AM
What is "this kind of thing" I posted. I am just a dude who posted his current situation, no agenda. We are all pretty well educated on this topic here, especially those of us who have lived it for years through multiple ablations, treatments and on. Actually I am truly not even addressing you directly, just the general tone that there is one answer only can get tiring.
March 12, 2021 11:31AM
As long as we all recognize that the plural of anecdote isn't data then posting personal experiences is perfectly fine.

I don't find it surprising that a vaccine could cause a temporary increase in PACs for someone with afib, particularly if it's a second dose, just as I wouldn't find it surprising that an illness, surgery, or a significant injury could do the same thing. Amping up the immune system and increased inflammation are things known to make the heart more reactive, and for someone prone to PACs that's not a surprising result.

The only thing I would object to is anyone concluding based on anecdotal experiences that it will have the same effect on others. There's simply no data to support that conclusion. And with all the negative talk and speculation about the side effects of these vaccines -- which are rare, generally mild, and inline with other vaccines known to be safe -- the nocebo effect is probably running wild, particularly among people who are already terrified of their afib (which is a LOT of people). Go get a shot you're already afraid of and have heard bad things about and you shouldn't be surprised if your stress levels produce exactly the side effects you're afraid of.
March 12, 2021 12:03PM
Exactly, I specifically said it could be coincidental and I would not hesitate to get vaccine regardless.
March 12, 2021 08:30PM
safib
You can't associate large deviation type events without statistical methods.

As for the student who had some kind of episode, this is an example of faulty inference. There is no reason to believe that it was due to anything but random chance, where the null hypothesis is perhaps even more likely due to supplied information (why has a student received 2 shots of vaccine already? comorbidity,?)

I had my first Moderna shot 3 weeks ago, and have felt generally well with apparently less ectopy and no afib. I could say it might be purely coincidental and think it is unrelated. Does this make sense? Try drawing the obvious conclusion first.
Maybe she got a shot because she is a nursing student and has to do rounds and is required. Our family has passed on getting the "Vaccine" 3 times now through my wife's work. And will soon have opportunity through my work if we so choose.
And just maybe she has no co-morbidities or has never had heart issues to this point. Not everything is a conspiracy.

I've always come to this site looking for and expecting varied ideas and outcomes and information. And as with afib and ablation everyone's outcomes are going to vary.

However, the difference with ablation and afib we have years of solid documentation and experience. We are a few months in with the "Vaccine" and have a long way to go before anything is "settled".

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2021 08:48PM by rocketritch.
March 15, 2021 05:44PM
rocketritch

However, the difference with ablation and afib we have years of solid documentation and experience. We are a few months in with the "Vaccine" and have a long way to go before anything is "settled".

Your comparison between safety and efficacy for ablation versus the vaccine (if that is what you are suggesting) is ill-conceived. Ablation studies are not RCT and have several order of magnitude smaller sample size. Although vaccine studies to date have shorter horizon, the vast cross sectionality swamps the amount of information from the ablation studies. Also, there are serious documented problems with ablation which are not based on long study duration (although they are mostly mitigated depending on the practitioner and the technique), which is not the case with the vaccine.
March 15, 2021 06:09PM
The vaccine from Astra Zeneca has been suspended in France, Germany, Italy and Spain because of some deaths due to blood clots and very low platelets. The doctor in Florida died because his platelets was zero. These vaccines do not have a long study duration.
March 15, 2021 06:23PM
Those instances even if validated are tiny in number. Also they arose in short proximity to the vaccine. So I have no idea what the point is that you are making, but it certainly doesn't refute anything I posted. By the way, Trump was vaccinated.
March 15, 2021 07:02PM
safib
By the way, Trump was vaccinated.

Good for him I suppose.
March 15, 2021 07:03PM
Oh boy, the internet.
March 15, 2021 07:56PM
This site is on the internet, should we discount what is said?
March 15, 2021 10:13PM
Yes when Trump even found his way in, the conversation has discounted itself to clearance store levels having nothing to do with the topic.

I originally posted for the record in hopes that perhaps someone else may find comfort in shared experience either now or down the road when searching the way many of us came here. Not for a statistics class, or I am smarter than you typical posts. I've had enough of them.
To the original point, my heart rate is slowly coming down day 7 post shot #2. Ectopics still way above my baseline as measured by recent 7 day monitor. This is my experience and that is not refutable whether it fits a narrative or not.
March 15, 2021 11:34PM
Well, i am glad you are ok, we have always been able to speak about what our experiences have been with AF, which has been helpful for most of us and we don't have to agree with everything. i take it that Trump was the President and got the vaccine as an inspiration for people to get the shot is why it was said on this topic. i have to say that for you to say because he was mentioned the" conversation discounted itself to clearance store levels" is very unkind.
March 16, 2021 01:01AM
No more discussion about Trump or any other politicians or politics, please.
March 16, 2021 10:29AM
Will report back any changes or outcomes.
April 07, 2021 11:06AM
I know this is a controversial subject and that peoples reactions are from minor to full on angry but here goes.

During a conversation with a friend today about vaccines he brought up the fact that his wife had to go to the hospital following her second moderna jab due to heart arrhythmia. I'm sure it's completely coincidental.
April 07, 2021 09:10PM
PAC's continuing at high rate. New ziopatch on way to at a minimum document how many for now. Dr. Natale says give a month or two before we draw any conclusions but I want to wear monitor to document number as it is really the only way I will be able to monitor trend line. Fully aware this could just be my time for more PAC's. Time will tell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2021 09:12PM by Fibrillator.
April 08, 2021 09:19AM
Keeping that Xio Patch for a month is going to be an argument with your insurance company. Those things are expensive. Mine was billed at a little over $100 per day.
April 08, 2021 05:47PM
It's only a 7 day and I am cleared to take it off after 5 days. The pattern rocks the same all day, I could wear it 24 hours and have the same pic every day. Take a 24 hr. period and multiply by whatever number of days I want at this point would be fine to get a baseline.
May 05, 2021 01:45PM
Just for the record, my 7 day zio showed 2796 PAC's. Last one done end of last year was 300. I have since settled down in the last 3 weeks. There was even a trend on the monitor it was significantly reducing over the week. Long story short the monitor confirmed what I already knew. Nothing to do now as it is improving significantly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login