Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can a High Resting Pulse or Stress Cause Afib

Posted by cirenepurzalot 
Can a High Resting Pulse or Stress Cause Afib
January 19, 2021 07:20PM
I had an Natale ablation back in March and that got rid of my afib! I'm so happy about that.

But, I did notice that my resting pulse rate has been a bit high since then. (Recently, maybe due to work-related stress. About 108bpm for most of the day.) I am starting to lose weight and am trying to jog/walk more so I'm hoping this will help.

Question: Can stress or a high resting pulse rate cause my afib to return? I'm so glad the ablation got rid of it. I just don't want it to come back. Also, is around 100 to 110 bpm (resting) something to worry about in general?

Thanks to you all!
Re: Can a High Resting Pulse or Stress Cause Afib
January 19, 2021 07:44PM
An elevated resting heart rate is perfectly normal and to be expected following ablation. It can persist for a surprisingly long time, upwards of a year or more, but it will eventually return to normal. So no, it won't cause afib.

But when I say "elevated" I mean like 80-95, not over 100. If your resting HR is consistently 100 to 110 on a daily basis, that's a bit too high. Did Natale ever have you wear a monitor after the procedure? If not, I would give the NP a call and discuss it with her.
January 19, 2021 08:48PM
Thanks Carey, as always. I appreciate the info, I didn't know that.

Yes, my average bpm is a bit too high now, due to stress I believe. (About 100 on average I think.) Also my VO2 max is very low. So, I'm making it a point to get more exercise and cardio activity. Hopefully everything will improve if I do that.
January 20, 2021 12:25AM
Okay, but don't let it stay pegged at 100 for months without talking to the NP.
January 20, 2021 11:28AM
Thanks Carey. It's not pegged. In the evening it drops to the mid 80's until I start work the next day again. Hopefully that's sustainable.... or my job goes! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 20, 2021 12:27PM
cirenepurzalot
Thanks Carey. It's not pegged. In the evening it drops to the mid 80's until I start work the next day again. Hopefully that's sustainable.... or my job goes! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I'd still talk to Natale's team. They are the best judge as to what is too high for too long. A rate control med might be prescribed if they judge too high for too long.
January 20, 2021 01:07PM
Ok thanks! Great advice!
February 20, 2021 09:50AM
Hello Everyone and thanks for the info regarding resting HR after ablation. I completed blanking period 11 days ago and stopped taking propafenone immediately - per doc's instructions. Over past four days avg resting HR has gone from 65 avg to 75-80 with periods of palpitations. Only one brief moment of AF for 2-3 hours. Is it normal for resting HR to jump after stopping antiarrythmic med? Not sleeping much due to higher rate and affecting HR variability which is not good for med-high intensity exercise and recovery. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login