Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ashwangandha for ectopics

Posted by keeferbdeefer 
Ashwangandha for ectopics
January 19, 2021 09:32AM
Probably been covered multiple times, and maybe it's snake oil, but it worked for me. I've had very bad bouts of ectopics since my afib ablation (a year ago). Had PVC ablation a year before that. The ectopics following afib ablation have gotten better but still would creep up under stress and during exercise. I felt it was connected to adrenaline and maybe my cortisol cycle. I've been on Ashwangandha for a week and I have to say my ectopic count is way down. Almost nothing. Went from noticing a couple hundred a day and having to take it easier during lifting to essentially nothing. I'm taking 600 mg a day. Just my experience that I thought I'd pass along.
Re: Ashwangandha for ectopics
January 19, 2021 10:37AM
Have you had your liver labs repeated since starting?
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
January 19, 2021 10:47AM
susan.d
Have you had your liver labs repeated since starting?
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Hmmmm. Have not. Have my annual physical in May. Will take note then. Thanks for the heads up.
January 19, 2021 01:12PM
keeferbdeefer - It's always wise to have your basic, functional lab tests at least annually so you know early on if something is out of range.

That said.. ashwaganda is an ancient herbal remedy used very successfully for managing stress - among other things. I used it a number of years ago to help with stress-related issues and found it to be very helpful. The toll that unrelenting stress takes on the body can be quite extensive and far reaching over time. I was grateful to find something so effective. Undoubtedly, it is helping with your ectopics.

This is the description of the ashwaganda product I used from the Klaire Labs... who offer professional-grade nutritional supplements. Just FYI...

This Ayurvedic herb exerts adaptogenic and neuroprotective effects. This may be due to its antioxidant action and the ability to modulate cortisol release induced by physiological stress. Ashwagandha may also help increase cortical cholinergic activity thus supporting memory and cognition.

In my herbal files, I have a descriptive report which I can share if you send me a PM... but here's an excerpt:

Ashawaganda contains at least twenty six different bio-active alkoloids, steroidal lactones called withanolides, and sitoindosides.4 Due to it's complex chemistry, much of which is still unknown we can expect variations in levels of active constituents and a broad spectrum of theraputic actions which include, tonic, nervine, sedative, nerve restorative, adaptogen, aphrodisiac, anti-inflammatory and respiratory stimulant properties.

According to Ayurvedic medicine, Ashwaganda balances both the Nervous System (vata = air) and the Musculo-Skeletal System (kapha = earth, water) simultaneously while it increases heat (pitta) in the body. In chronic conditions it is common to see Vata-Kapha imbalances which are usually long standing and difficult to treat. A classic example of such a condition is arthritis, which involves painful, dry joints (a vata condition) along with swollen and inflammed joints (a kapha condition). Ashwaganda would be the medicine of choice in such a condition as it balances both the vata and kapha aspects of this imbalance.

Ashwaganda is also indicated in many other conditions that combine either vata and kapha imbalances. Traditionally, Ashwaganda was used to treat, general debility, arthritis, depression, chronic fatigue, insomnia, anxiety, depressed immunity, sexual debility, infertility, memory loss, breathing difficulties, hormonal imbalances and more .

Jackie
January 19, 2021 03:46PM
I had my ablation just over 2 years ago that is holding nicely but was exper. some pacs along the way. They have had slowed down a lot since the ablation but not gone away until i started taking ASHWA....that helped so much pretty much stopping them cold now with the exception of when i lie down on my right side in bed for a few min. or less then they go away....funny before my ablation the right side was my safe side and my left was the bad side that triggered pacs and many times an ARR....the ablation reversed that trend but no more ARR. just a few pacs.
Anyway ASHWA. has helped a lot for those annoying ectopics but i also take about 30 other supl. for brain, joint and overall health also but adding ASHWA. has made a huge dif. now it might be an interaction with 1 or more others that has helped who knows but its worth a try for anyone pre or post ablation.....not to mention the other health value it brings you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2021 03:47PM by vanlith.
January 20, 2021 11:34AM
Aaah ! Something I've not yet tried ! Thanks for sharing those informations.
January 21, 2021 01:34AM
vanlith
I had my ablation just over 2 years ago that is holding nicely but was exper. some pacs along the way. They have had slowed down a lot since the ablation but not gone away until i started taking ASHWA....that helped so much pretty much stopping them cold now with the exception of when i lie down on my right side in bed for a few min. or less then they go away....funny before my ablation the right side was my safe side and my left was the bad side that triggered pacs and many times an ARR....the ablation reversed that trend but no more ARR. just a few pacs.
Anyway ASHWA. has helped a lot for those annoying ectopics but i also take about 30 other supl. for brain, joint and overall health also but adding ASHWA. has made a huge dif. now it might be an interaction with 1 or more others that has helped who knows but its worth a try for anyone pre or post ablation.....not to mention the other health value it brings you.

What brain supplements do you take? I hope not Ginkgo biloba. I had a great cardiologist once who told me that she noticed that Ginkgo biloba triggered AF in some of her patients. This conversation was after a perfect run of nsr and I took GB and went straight into af. Everyone is different but she was an excellent cardiologist who I felt knew her stuff.
January 22, 2021 12:21PM
Ya i do take ginkgo....might try laying off for a few days to see if my pacs in bed for a few min. stop....worth a try although GB has so many other goods to it i would not elim. it even if it cost me a few pacs but if i had not had a suc. ablation or this was pre ablation that would not be the case.....i would stop cold turkey if it ramped up my afib....everyone has dif. reactions to all this which makes this horrible malady so frustrating.
January 22, 2021 12:32PM
Worth a try to stop for a bit as an experiment. I changed health plans otherwise she would still be my general cardiologist. She seemed to know a lot and I trusted her opinion that GB has a tendency to trigger AF in some patients. Everyone reacts differently but it would be something if you unknowingly are among the group that GB triggers a reaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2021 12:32PM by susan.d.
January 22, 2021 11:33PM
Just a note on the ginkgo- you really don’t want to be taking that if you’re on an anticoagulant. Ginkgo is a blood thinner itself. Doubling down can be dangerous.
January 23, 2021 07:49AM
A couple of supplements for adrenals Ive used with good success that include ASHW, are Integrative brand "Stress hormone stabilizer" in the Evening, and "Stress Resistance complex" in the morning. DHEA might also be something to consider. I would also suggest a Saliva Cortisol test for a 24 hour marker instead of testing the blood for a snapshot only.
January 23, 2021 01:14PM
Wolfpak - thanks for adding that precaution about Ginkgo. Ginkgo definitely has blood thinning properties.

I am a big fan of Ginkgo and actually used it along with other herbals and the nattokinase for blood thinning when I was not required to be on a formal Rx anticoag medication.... and now that I can't take either those.. I really miss the benefits. I never found it to stimulate AF... but as we know, everyone is different.

Jackie
January 24, 2021 02:12PM
I had my ablation about 10 weeks ago and have been having some PACs, PVCs, ectopic beats since then so I may give Ashwaganda a try. although mine don't necessarily happen when I am exercising or around stress - or at least I don't notice them then (so not adrenale)... I notice them more when I am at rest. Thanks!
January 24, 2021 10:04PM
Can anyone recommend a trusted brand of Ashwaganda supplement? Can you take it with metoprolol er?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2021 10:19PM by Kleinkp.
February 04, 2021 09:11AM
My ectopic burden remains notably lower now three - four weeks after starting Aswagandha. Not eliminated, but lower for sure than in months past. Workouts are much less plagued by random ectopics, even when I work out in the afternoon which tended to be a tough time for me. It's worth a try in my opinion if you suffer from adrenaline or stress related ectopics, or even ectopics at certain times of the day for no apparent reason. I take it in the morning and just used it to get it into my system. Wasn't trying to time it in any way.
February 11, 2021 06:04AM
Struggling with pretty bad insomnia- have had it for years. But recently it has upped it's game and I have currently been up for 4 hours in the middle of the night... I love that the psychiatrist PA I am working with isn't a pill popper and suggested Ashwaganda.. specifically Sensoril. (a certain adaptogen I guess.). I read a bit that it is blood thinning and I am on Xeralto-- so wondering. Sounds like ginkgo is a bigger deal with that but anyone heard of that w ashwaganda? Also I am on dofetilide and there is never any QT data on these supplements but ill ask anyway.. anyone know about that? thanks. smiling smiley edit.. ps I realized looking thru the search that I asked this before. (I blame the insomnia!). But I'll leave this here in case anyone else has more info. thanks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2021 06:05AM by bettylou4488.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login