Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone get angina during and post tachycardia?

Posted by susan.d 
Anyone get angina during and post tachycardia?
December 22, 2020 10:51PM
This is new for me since this ablation. I had a short run (less than minute of fast tachycardia. By the time I got hooked up to Kardia, it slowed to only 188 hr for 10 seconds, then slow nsr and immediately a second shorter run of tachycardia then I converted to 69 hr—all captured on a strip.

Angina followed tonight. Last week during >200 tachy AF at the Er I also got a short run of angina but it stopped. It returned a few hours later for a short period.

Common for anyone or is this a fluke?

I’m happy it self converted. I still have skin burns healing from last week two ecv (first ecv for af caused a faster SVT), they immediately ecv again.

5 days apart now. Week of PVCs and pacs. Jumpy heart.
Re: Anyone get angina during and post tachycardia?
December 23, 2020 03:13PM
susan.d
I also got a short run of angina but it stopped. It returned a few hours later for a short period.

Hi Susan,

I'll come at this from a different angle. Breathing. I've posted on breathing times before.

When someone overbreathes (which could happen from the stress of an episode), CO2 is depleted. Because of the Bohr Effect this causes a leftward shift in the oxyhemoglobin dissociation curve. When there is less CO2 in the blood, the blood pH gets more alkaline. This means that hemoglobin will bind more tightly to oxygen and your cells will get less O2. This could be the cause of the angina. The solution is to focus on your breathing. Try to breathe at a rate of 6 breaths for minute, breathing diaphragmatically through the nose lightly. If your exhale (a relaxed exhale) is 1 1/2 or 2 times as long as the inhale, this will stimulate a parasympathetic response and reduce anxiety. For example, a 4 second inhale and an 8 second exhale will be a 12 second breath - 5 per minute. Make the inhale as light as you can without bringing on large air hunger. Light air hunger is good as this means more CO2 is being retained. The urge to breathe is driven by CO2 not O2, so the paradox is that the faster/harder/more you breathe, the less O2 gets to your cells. This is true even though a pulse ox will show high SpO2. The CO2 (really serum pH) sensor in the brain can be trained to alert at a much higher level of CO2. Think of freedivers as an endpoint. When people habitually overbreathe, which includes mouth breathing at night, it doesn't take much CO2 to trigger the alert to breathe.

This is a search on my prior breathing posts.

This post looks at it from the anxiety angle and has a link to a Google doc with lots of links and info.
December 23, 2020 03:19PM
Thanks George. I’m a slow and shallow breather. I wasn’t hyperventilating.

Just had my second 177 tachycardia. Now it’s daily. It converted after a while. No angina yet.
December 23, 2020 09:34PM
There’s a condition called Prinzmetal’s angina that is basically a coronary vasospasm (not a blockage) that causes chest pain. It’s uncommon, but does favor women over men. It’s something to discuss with your cardiologist.
December 23, 2020 10:07PM
Thanks wolfpack. I have small vessel disease (micro vascular) which causes chronic angina. It hasn’t bothered me since I lost weight. I’ll look into your post. Small vessel usually affects women.
December 24, 2020 01:22PM
I have a couple times but that was back in the early days prior to my first ablation. It never lasted very long though.

Upon reading George's response it is very likely this is what I was experiencing at the time. As these times I experienced this was when having an episode while out on the bike. As my events at that time were offer proceeded by a hard effort.
December 24, 2020 05:01PM
susan.d
I have small vessel disease (micro vascular) which causes chronic angina.

rocketritch
I have a couple times but that was back in the early days prior to my first ablation. It never lasted very long though.

Upon reading George's response it is very likely this is what I was experiencing at the time. As these times I experienced this was when having an episode while out on the bike. As my events at that time were often preceded by a hard effort.

One of the things that I've not emphasized about nasal breathing is the role of nasal nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is a vasodilator. The nose creates 15x the nitric oxide of mouth breathing. Interestingly, humming can create 15x more nitric oxide in the nose than nasal breathing alone (both of these values are estimates, from memory). CO2 can also act as a vasodilator. Hence working on breathing to increase nitric oxide and CO2 (nasal, light, slow, diaphragmatically, perhaps with humming) could help open blood vessels. Also, in today's COVID world, nitric oxide can have virucidal effects. This video describes some of these features of nasal, light, slow, diaphragmatic breathing.
December 26, 2020 11:50AM
Good, important info, George.

The book, The Nitric Oxide (NO) Solution by Nathan S. Bryan, PhD and Janet Zand, OMD, has numerous suggestions for increasing NO via various methods including NO boosting food and supplements, exercises, etc. and there are some You Tube presentations online as well.

Jackie
December 26, 2020 06:04PM
I had 150s 160s 170s tachycardia today. Went to Er because of the angina. Waiting for a room in telemetry ward because of angina. STVs this time. Ecv after two rounds of the A. Challenge that increased my angina but didn’t convert. Ecv converted me but my monitor is beeping a funky st conductor thing.

So tachycardia for me now gave me angina.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login