Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Berberine equals or beats Amiodarone?

Posted by Sdweller 
Berberine equals or beats Amiodarone?
December 18, 2020 09:24AM
This study showed the herb Berberine is as effective in treating Afib as Amiodarone.

[www.hindawi.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2020 09:27AM by Sdweller.
Re: Berberine equals or beats Amiodarone?
December 18, 2020 10:22AM
Also helps to lower blood pressure, heart failure, cholesterol, and bradycardia (it raises your hr) according to webmd.
December 18, 2020 11:28AM
Nice find Susan !!!

Some additional support for it

[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

And for hypertension

December 18, 2020 02:44PM
Very interesting! I'd much rather take Berberine as Amiodarone!!

Looking at Table 1 from the paper.

Most subjects had hypertension and many had CAD. In my book, most have metabolic syndrome. Berberine is a "natural" version of Metformin. Wonder if the berberine is treating the metabolic syndrome and by doing that the afib???

December 18, 2020 04:31PM
Not recommended for long term treatment unfortunately. Amazon sells it.
December 18, 2020 06:15PM
George... your observation meshes with the Berberine tech data by Designs for Health's two berberine supplement products that indicate these potential uses... so as you mention, it may be that may be the connection.

Couple of excerpts:

Berberine Synergy™ may be
beneficial for the support of*:
• Diabetes and pre-diabetes
• Insulin resistance/hyperinsulinemia
• Elevated triglycerides
• Non-alcoholic fatty liver
• PCOS linked to elevated insulin

Insulin and Blood Glucose Management
The most prominent of berberine’s beneficial properties are its positive effects
on insulin and normal blood glucose management. Berberine exerts its effects
independently of the mechanisms of metformin and other common hypoglycemic
agents, so the compound may be used alone or in conjunction with conventional
pharmaceutical drugs. In fact, berberine has been shown to be as effective as
metformin in lowering fasting blood glucose and hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c), LDL-C,
triglycerides, and fasting insulin.2 When added to the existing medication regimens
of patients with poorly controlled diabetes, berberine significantly reduced FBG,
HOMA-IR, TNF-alpha, IL-6, and CRP compared with oral hypoglycemic agents alone.3

and....

Beyond these roles in helping to regulate blood glucose and insulin, berberine may also support a healthy metabolism and lighten overall body burden by easing oxidative stress and restoring cellular redox efficiency.8 With mitochondrial dysfunction being increasingly tied to a host of poor health outcomes, supporting mitochondrial flexibility may be of particular importance in hyperinsulinism and metabolic syndrome, with their various downstream effects on multiple organs and tissue systems. A study employing cultured mouse macrophages treated with lipopolysaccharides (LPS, a potent endotoxin) or palmitic acid (PA) showed that berberine significantly inhibited pro-inflammatory cytokine expression, COX-2, and LPS- and PA- induced activation of endoplasmic reticulum oxidative stress.9

Email me if you want the complete tech data sheets on both product plus the study references.

Jackie
December 18, 2020 06:32PM
If a person does not have diabetes, but has low blood sugar, Berberine might not be good to take as it apparently lower blood sugar.
December 18, 2020 07:03PM
Elizabeth
If a person does not have diabetes, but has low blood sugar, Berberine might not be good to take as it apparently lower blood sugar.

Not sure about this. I asked a low carb doc about taking metformin (and berberine is supposed to have a similar method of action) and worrying about negative hypoglycemia reactions during extended fasting (for a friend). He said it was not an issue, that metformin would not lower glucose below normal.
December 19, 2020 06:23AM
December 19, 2020 06:35AM
George,

Seems like you can't do good for doing bad!!

[www.thno.org]

"Theranostics 2019; 9(7):1923-1951. doi:10.7150/thno.30787

Review - Berberine in Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases: From Mechanisms to Therapeutics"

"Moreover, BBR can stimulate cardiac contractility (positive inotropic activity) by increasing intracellular calcium levels in addition to lowering peripheral vascular resistance and blood pressure [127]"
December 19, 2020 01:57PM
mwcf
"Moreover, BBR can stimulate cardiac contractility (positive inotropic activity) by increasing intracellular calcium levels in addition to lowering peripheral vascular resistance and blood pressure [127]"

Probably a good thing for someone with CHF!

I have a friend with ablated WPW. She's been taking berberine for some time now. I haven't asked for a report from her for a while now. I should ask for an update.
December 22, 2020 04:11PM
This was on my bucket list of sups a few years ago to help my AFIB....went through about 4 bottles or 400 pills over many months and saw no change....just my 2 cents worth....tried this big time but like everything else got little to no relief.....only a RF ablation has given me back my life to 100% but not for lack of trying berberine and prob. 5k dollars worth of other heart targeted supl. in about a 5 year period to no avail.

Everyone is dif. but this did nothing for me but berberine had a lot of company of others sups who failed also.
January 04, 2021 06:22PM
mwcf

Confusing!

so yea regarding this one..

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Berberine behind the thriller of marked symptomatic bradycardia

and I wonder how this rolls in with the QT interval too... sigh. (just got another ECV today so doing a deeper dive into stuff.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login