Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

life of af

Posted by susan.d 
life of af
December 16, 2020 05:52PM
Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2021 03:13PM by susan.d.
Re: I maybe doomed to a life of af
December 17, 2020 04:47AM
Hi I know exactly how you feel. Any kind of stress will cause me to have an episode of AF mine are very symptomatic like yours. I simply am bed ridden Valium, sleeping pill to sleep over at least some of the episodes I do not cope well due to the symptoms. AF came back after 11 years, developed in past year into very frequent and debilitating.
I did not wait long to arrange for ablation. This one was my third one, not to count the one the first one in 2005 when I had terrible complication and ablation was aborted and I was in ICU for many days.
I hope that third time I will be lucky and this Intervention will cure and let me be free of AF to the end of my days. If something happens I will have ablation again. I will go to Bordeaux, where I had two previous ones this third one was done locally in country i live in. I cannot tolarate my life with AF. Now it's waiting time and each day will bring more hope and copnfidence. I had a friend who had AF three months after ablation it happened once and now she is ok. AF free no episodes.
I am thinking about ways to manage stress better and be more resistant.
December 17, 2020 02:24PM
Thank you Aldona. It’s a comfort to know I am not alone and that severe stress can instantly trigger af.
December 17, 2020 05:39PM
Wow, Susan! That's an awful string of stressful experiences. My deepest condolences on your mother's death. Those 2 phone calls you had regarding her death are unbelievably bad and insensitive behavior by the people you were speaking to. Are you really headed for another ablation?

Good luck to you in this challenging time, Susan.
December 17, 2020 07:35PM
Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2021 03:16PM by susan.d.
December 17, 2020 07:42PM
The Afib I have was caused by medical incompetence at the VA. I was prescribed hydrochlorothyazide for hypertension (which, BTW I didn't have). It caused tachycardia within 2 weeks. I should have been immediately taken off but wasn't. So, after a night in the ER within another 2 weeks I was back in there and the idiots in the ER didn't have enough common sense to check out the side effects of the hydrochlorothyazide to find that two of the main side effects are tachycardia and arrhythmia. So, what did they prescribe? Metopropol and this made it worse. I was kept on this for something like 5 years until I was prescribed Amlodipine. The Metopropol continued to do damage until I went on Dr. Stephen Sinatra's protocol and it helped calm the thumping heart down. Thing is, the more I complained to the VA about it the more stubborn they became as they refused to listen. When the Afib hits there isn't a trigger. It just starts up for no reason at all and messes at least the day up. But now the Afib isn't as hard as it used to be. Many times I have to take the time to pay attention and feel my jugular vein to know it's happening. There's a new drug on the horizon. See: [www.prnewswire.com]. There's also been research on the left atrial appendage that is giving some interesting information. Thing is, I can't stand blood thinners. They do absolutely nothing to help the heart.
December 17, 2020 07:53PM
Blood thinners can help prevent a stroke from AF clotting. You don’t want a stroke.
December 18, 2020 08:54PM
That's not what I'm talking about. Blood thinners can also cause other problems on their own. Seems the drug companies are more into maintaining a problem than finding a cure. Blood thinners don't make the heart better. I had posted before that there was research into a plant flavone called Acacetin. It was found that it could cure Afib in lab animals such as dogs and etc.

[www.ahajournals.org]

Looks like nothing more has been done with it. I have contacted drug companies with this information and apparently they are not interested. They continue working with blood thinners. As long as there will be blood thinners we'll all be "...doomed to a life of Afib."
December 18, 2020 09:13PM
I think you're confusing stroke prevention with afib. They're two completely separate issues and blaming drug companies that make anticoagulants for not curing afib is unreasonable.

There are probably dozens of substances that have shown anti-AF properties in animals and petri dishes but have failed in human studies. That's pretty typical for all diseases and drugs. Just because some study showed promise in animal studies is no reason to think drug companies are ignoring it. They're not stupid. If they found something that could cure AF, I guarantee you they'd be developing it tomorrow morning.
December 19, 2020 06:05PM
alxndr01
That's not what I'm talking about. Blood thinners can also cause other problems on their own. Seems the drug companies are more into maintaining a problem than finding a cure. Blood thinners don't make the heart better. I had posted before that there was research into a plant flavone called Acacetin. It was found that it could cure Afib in lab animals such as dogs and etc.

[www.ahajournals.org]

You could just buy 天山雪蓮花 (Tian Shan Xue Lian Hua) from China.

Since it is a plant, it may not be patentable, hence no upside to develop it. Development costs for new meds are very high.
December 19, 2020 07:09PM
Almost anything is patentable even if derived from a plant (hello, hundreds of drugs). You just have to do something more than serve the plant as is to obtain a patent.

Drug discovery is a fascinating side of drug development. They spend years testing all sorts of crazy theories, plants, and compounds, and spend billions on the typical drug before it becomes a success, but most investigations end in failure and cost the same billions nonetheless.

The problem with the possibilities we come across in the popular press is they're competing with hundreds of other promising candidates. Only so many can enter the pipeline at a time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login