Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gabapentin... Ashwaganda

Posted by bettylou4488 
Gabapentin... Ashwaganda
December 15, 2020 08:56PM
I'm still having a buggar with sleep. Gabapentin was the next discussion drug. I am on dofetilide so options are limited. (I am more a natural gal and have done a lot there. Melatnonin- I got heart pain... L-theinene a giant headache.. Concerned with CBD because of QT.).

So I read in a small study that gabapentin can initiate a-fib. I have asked this before but it was months back. Curious if anyone has experience with it. Here is the study..

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

And ashwaganda was discussed but I saw that can be blood thinning and I am on Xeralto. Anyone have any ideas?

I am open to ideas and I have a whole sleep thread here already but thought I would ask these two specific questions again.

thanks so much.. so so very tired.
Re: Gabapentin... Ashwaganda
December 15, 2020 09:49PM
Hey Betty,

Not answering your questions, but another idea.

Breathing.

First, listen to this mp3, (click on "click to download here" download here ) and do what it says. Another breathing approach is "cadence" breathing. Specifically 5 1/2 to 6 breaths/minute. Through your nose. Doesn't have to be exact. Use your heart (if you are not in afib) to count. Try to breath easily and lightly with the diaphragm (belly) and with a relaxed exhale. Maybe just count the inhale breath link and let the exhale be relaxed. Do it for 10-15 minutes.

The whole idea is to get your system used to more CO2, which is a relaxant. There is a thread on taping your mouth at night (my linked post shows what it does for my heart). I've done this for years with this tape. Also can use 3M brand micropore paper tape from the drugstore or Amazon.

You can do these before bed, or in the night if you wake up.

One of breathing instructor, Patrick McKeown's, books on the topic.

Website Another one of Patrick's sites focused more on exercise, but the same concepts.

A search of more of my posts on the topic here, lots more links in these posts.

Some podcasts by Patrick on sleep 1 2

I'm very serious. Breathing is a big deal, and most are not talking about it. Can make a huge difference in sleep.

The nose is use it or lose it.
December 15, 2020 10:11PM
Thank you. Yes Dr. Kahn (my functional card) mentioned breathing. I will look at this thank you
December 15, 2020 11:02PM
I use the PharmaGABA supplement. It works. Not suggesting anyone do this, but mixing it with a couple of beers equates to a tranquilizer dart. It does double duty in terms of putting me to sleep and also keeping me asleep. It’s an “off switch” for the brain.
December 15, 2020 11:17PM
I have wondered how the Gabapentin and the Gaba supplement are related. (The last time I had alcohol was about 2 years ago.. I had 2 goblets of wine and ended up in a-fib. I've had since then not drinking but it kinda put a damper on alcohol for me. The doc said straight up booze would be better--- thought that was kinda of him to give suggestions lol)
December 16, 2020 01:31AM
How did melatonin cause heart pain I wonder, can’t find any studies linking to this. How long did you take it for?
Ken
December 16, 2020 03:48PM
Just wondering - is there anything other than lack of blood flow (coronary arteries) to the heart that would cause pain in the heart?
December 16, 2020 04:50PM
Chest pain can have several causes, and not all involve the heart. It's almost impossible for an individual to know whether chest pain is caused by the heart or something else, such as the esophagus, lungs, ribs, breast bone, gall bladder, aorta, spine, stomach, diaphragm, pleural space, and... probably a few more I'm overlooking.
December 16, 2020 06:29PM
Hi Bettylou... I'm very sorry you are having sleep issues. I know what that's like. Fortunately, a number of years ago, I was introduced to PharmaGaba product of Natural Factors and it has been extremely useful.

I just typed the name into our search feature here so you can read the many responses I've offered on sleep issues.
Here's the link:
[www.afibbers.org]

Now, to clarify... I don't currently have a severe sleep issue... just occasionally when I can't get my mind settled down and into 'sleep mode'... Since I take Eliquis, I am always very careful to be sure not to cause complications.

While the label indicates the dose is 2 tablets or 200 mg... I often split one tablet and take only one-half at bedtime just to take the 'edge' off... (along with the 200 mg magnesium I always take at bedtime as well). I typically never need the whole tablet ...or two of them for that matter.

The nice thing about PharmaGaba is that it doesn't leave you with a a 'drugged' feeling in the morning...and you don't tend to over-sleep, either. You can take a small dose during during the day... again.. to calm/settle down, and it doesn't make you feel as if you have to go take a nap... or at least that's the way it works for me.

Jackie
December 17, 2020 12:50AM
Thank you everyone... To Ken-- I took it 2 nights in a row. just 1/2 a mg. To Carey- I agree.. totally could be Gerd even or whatever .. it was just disconcerting. I did just have a bunch of heart tests done so I think I am in the clear. I might still get a CIMT with Dr. Kahn (Everything just adding up money wise. cha Ching!! LOL!). And Jackie.. THANKS. yes I will look at this. One time I gook something with Gaba and ended up in afib so I am always skittish but I need to do something. I just tried sleeping- and got back up. I mean I haven't slept well in 20 years but this last month or two has been horrible. It started when I did inderal after my last cardio version. Just for a week but I think it worked me out. Last night I said to myself-- I'll just stay up really later. I went to bed at 2 and still was awake at 3. I am a 10-6 kinda girl. my boys (husband and son) are night owls. me.. not so much..

thanks again all.
Ken
December 17, 2020 03:06PM
I agree with Carey regarding the many issues that could cause chest pain, and trying to figure out exactly what is causing the pain, but I wasn't sure of which issues actually cause the heart to hurt, so I checked a Mayo Clinic post that says:

Examples of heart-related causes of chest pain include:

Heart attack. A heart attack results from blocked blood flow, often from a blood clot, to your heart muscle.

Angina. Angina is the term for chest pain caused by poor blood flow to the heart. This is often caused by the buildup of thick plaques on the inner walls of the arteries that carry blood to your heart. These plaques narrow the arteries and restrict the heart's blood supply, particularly during exertion.

Aortic dissection. This life-threatening condition involves the main artery leading from your heart (aorta). If the inner layers of this blood vessel separate, blood is forced between the layers and can cause the aorta to rupture.

Pericarditis. This is the inflammation of the sac surrounding your heart. It usually causes sharp pain that gets worse when you breathe in or when you lie down.
December 19, 2020 11:45PM
bettylou4488
I'm still having a buggar with sleep. Gabapentin was the next discussion drug. I am on dofetilide so options are limited. (I am more a natural gal and have done a lot there. Melatnonin- I got heart pain... L-theinene a giant headache.. Concerned with CBD because of QT.).

So I read in a small study that gabapentin can initiate a-fib. I have asked this before but it was months back. Curious if anyone has experience with it. Here is the study..

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

And ashwaganda was discussed but I saw that can be blood thinning and I am on Xeralto. Anyone have any ideas?

I am open to ideas and I have a whole sleep thread here already but thought I would ask these two specific questions again.

thanks so much.. so so very tired.

Chiming in a bit late here and may be a bit off point... I have been taking gabapentin, for a condition unrelated to insomnia, for more than 25 years and at least 20 years before my first episode of afib. I currently take 1600 mgs daily. Doesn't make me drowsy or help my sleep a bit. But, I wish it did. Can't say I have ever thought there was a link between my afib and the gabapentin. Think my experience falls under the "were all different" adage.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login