Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taking turmeric, ginkgo & ?prn NOAC

Posted by Madeline 
Taking turmeric, ginkgo & ?prn NOAC
December 15, 2020 03:47PM
Hey All,

I have been asking questions about my "what ifs" surrounding my not being on antiarrhythmics (AAR) or blood thinners anymore, but having had a flutter episode 9 months post ablation, preparing for the possibility of what to do if I have another episode. You have helped clarify this for me about my taking Eliquis as soon as I feel another episode & to keep taking it a week after that.

I did not remember to mention that once I got off AAR 6/29/20 & by the time I got off my previous Xarelto 9/29/20, I returned to taking turmeric supps & ginkgo biloba supps. Turmeric for the anti-inflammatory & other beneficial effects & ginkgo primarily bec I was told of someone else who has used it successfully for years instead of a blood thinner for TIAs they had been having & had not had another TIA since being on ginkgo 240 mg a day. I have read ginkgo is also good for the brain/memory.

If I get that flutter again & take my Eliquis 5 mg b.i.d., I would immediately stop the turmeric & ginkgo, but does anyone know if this presents a danger of too much anticoagulation having taken all this within a close period of time? I definitely want to be careful about self-medicating & mixing things without being sure of what I am doing.

I would appreciate if anyone has knowledge or input to share about this.

Thanks.
Re: Taking turmeric, ginkgo & ?prn NOAC
December 15, 2020 09:12PM
I took ginkgo and went straight into af. I visited my cardiologist the following day and told her. She remarked it’s a known trigger and I shouldn’t take it. She graduated from an Ivy League medical school so I believed her.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login