Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ECG device says this is regular heartbeat

ECG device says this is regular heartbeat
October 23, 2020 08:41PM
Looks like haywire to me. What am I missing? Thanks (ps Week 7 of blanking period)

[flic.kr]
Re: ECG device says this is regular heartbeat
October 23, 2020 08:56PM
I sent you an email.
October 23, 2020 09:03PM
There's some noise in the recording and a few PVCs, but otherwise I agree that it's NSR.
October 24, 2020 10:08AM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
Looks like haywire to me. What am I missing? Thanks (ps Week 7 of blanking period)

[flic.kr]
How did you record that ?
In order to stay free from most artifacts, I always try to place the electrodes as close to the heart as possible. Most devices have to be used between your hands, which gives lead1 tracings, but they allow getting easily lead2 tracings too (between right hand and left leg). Lead2 tracings show p waves much more clearly.
I'm used to hold my monitor with my right hand, one finger on the neg electrode, applying the pos electrode on the bottom of my ribcage, left side.
I'm not able to read your tracings, because they are "noisy". I think you're struggling doing it for the same reason.
"Quieter" recordings would help, IMO.
October 24, 2020 11:20AM
I'll try those tips - thanks.
October 24, 2020 01:20PM
In addition to what Pompom suggests, I always wet the electrodes & my skin (saliva works). For a Lead II ish presentation, right hand and left hip (really anything left below the heart) works.

Electrode placement was originally based on Einthoven's triangle.

October 24, 2020 01:28PM
Agree with wetting the electrodes. ECG electrodes come with a conductive gel pre-applied at the factory, and saliva is almost as good since it contains salt. Another thing to do is ignore the first 10 seconds because noise tends to be greatest at the start of the recording.
October 24, 2020 01:36PM
There has been a time I always carried a tiny plastic bottle of salted water. Highly conductive. Now I'm lazier, and I use saliva...
And my ECG device does not record as soon as I push the button. The display shows the waves, but the recording starts a tenth seconds later. As Carey said, the first seconds have more artifacts; and I guess the built-in software needs some time to adjust its "filtering" threshold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2020 01:45PM by Pompon.
October 24, 2020 05:51PM
Yes. I am getting much better recordings and stronger signal with wet and next to heart. But the algorithm is nuts because this top reading is 'irregular' while the bottom one is 'regular'. I even measured them out on a print with calipers and they are all equal on the top except the very last one bottom row. (Arrow)

The bottom one is a section taken from previous ECG

[flic.kr]
October 24, 2020 07:02PM
I don't know what device you're using to make these recordings but I recommend that you stop believing its opinions. A single short pause in a 12-second recording doesn't make it irregular, as your calipers prove. And just because you see some PVCs in a recording doesn't mean it's irregular, as your device seems to think.
October 25, 2020 02:53AM
I once asked my cardiologist's opinion about the horrors printed on some of the tracings I had been given here and there from pro-grade 12-lead ECGs.
She replied I should'nt worry about them.
So, if even professional devices fail to diagnose reliably...
October 28, 2020 12:25AM
Pompon
I once asked my cardiologist's opinion about the horrors printed on some of the tracings I had been given here and there from pro-grade 12-lead ECGs.
She replied I should'nt worry about them.
So, if even professional devices fail to diagnose reliably...

My EP over the years has said the same thing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login