Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Left side .. laying on / frozen shoulder /

Posted by bettylou4488 
Left side .. laying on / frozen shoulder /
October 10, 2020 04:24PM
I have had other triggers in the past (red wine to be one). But haven't had an episode in well over a year. Just had 2 in two weeks. In both instances I went to roll over on my left side early in the morning. I have a frozen shoulder (left) and mostly sleep on my right side now since I am not a back sleeper. (I am a stomach sleeper but can't do that with this shoulder. This is mostly curiosity but I noticed in a basic AF page here on the group that 6% of people said they were triggered by laying on their left side. Anyone else here? Also wondered if anyone with frozen shoulder had episodes because of it. I had been going to PT but had to stop for a 14 day quarantine. also these were both early in the morning so I now just get up when it is early LOL. but I am one tired puppy at the moment.
Re: Left side .. laying on / frozen shoulder /
October 10, 2020 10:05PM
bettylou4488
I have had other triggers in the past (red wine to be one). But haven't had an episode in well over a year. Just had 2 in two weeks. In both instances I went to roll over on my left side early in the morning. I have a frozen shoulder (left) and mostly sleep on my right side now since I am not a back sleeper. (I am a stomach sleeper but can't do that with this shoulder. This is mostly curiosity but I noticed in a basic AF page here on the group that 6% of people said they were triggered by laying on their left side. Anyone else here? Also wondered if anyone with frozen shoulder had episodes because of it. I had been going to PT but had to stop for a 14 day quarantine. also these were both early in the morning so I now just get up when it is early LOL. but I am one tired puppy at the moment.

During the time I was over consuming calcium, the left side would give me PAC's, which would lead to afib, if I stayed there (I didn't).

The original author of this book [smile.amazon.com] , the late Claire Davies, worked out how to treat his frozen shoulder and it is described in this third edition of the book, updated by his daughter, Amber. I could coach more on the Trigger Point topic, if interested.
October 10, 2020 11:44PM
I can't comment on the frozen shoulder, but lying on my left side is a definite trigger for me.

As in just a few seconds will do the trick in the early hours of the morning. sad smiley

Which for me, is sad, because. I want to go there.

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
October 11, 2020 12:31AM
lisa s
I can't comment on the frozen shoulder, but lying on my left side is a definite trigger for me.

As in just a few seconds will do the trick in the early hours of the morning. sad smiley

Which for me, is sad, because. I want to go there.

I totally get that. and early morning hours. I just googled Inderal after 90 min in bed and three nights of not sleeping.. yea it's a biggie. but I am going off it. Still. sigh. I only basically sleep on my right side now. But sometimes I'm like- just for a second. But not doing that right now anyway. I still wonder with the shoulder if there is some sort of trigger.
October 11, 2020 12:32AM
GeorgeN

The original author of this book [smile.amazon.com] , the late Claire Davies, worked out how to treat his frozen shoulder and it is described in this third edition of the book, updated by his daughter, Amber. I could coach more on the Trigger Point topic, if interested.

Thanks for the book reference.
October 11, 2020 05:48AM
I too have had issues with laying on ly left triggering ectopics or afib. I also have had shoulder issues off and on over the years.

One remedy I have found that seems to have ended my shoulder issues is dead hanging (passive hanging) from a bar fully extended. I hang for about 2 minutes 3 times with breaks in between. In the beginning I did it a couple times a day. Now once a day or every other day seems to do the trick. Dr Kirche recommends 30 second dead hanging 3 times a day.

I would have never thought that something as simple as this would have worked but a friend of mine with shoulder issues for years swears by it.

Now I do not know how this would affect frozen shoulder. And I realize not everyone my be able to dead hang due to physical restrictions. However the same results could be obtained by using a pully system and other weighted items hanging from a door.

[www.artofmanliness.com]
October 11, 2020 11:51AM
bettylou....
There are numerous testimonials in the archived Conference Room #36 report - on Right side vs Left Side that might be helpful if you haven't yet read. [www.afibbers.org]

On the frozen shoulder complication... Eventually, when we are out of the virus dilemma, if you can locate a practitioner who uses The Directional Non-Force Technique,(DNFT) TM give that a try. That technique has made a huge difference in helping me age well 'structurally' and keeps me free from typical aches and pains. I've had physical therapy, massage therapy and traditional chiropractic treatments, but the DNFT (for me) is far out in front for efficacy.
I also work out at the gym with specific weights and routines that help strengthen muscles.

I presume you are supplementing with magnesium... so it's helpful if you take a dose at bedtime. If I have some pain or stiffness at bedtime, I always take a higher dose and use the malate form along with the magnesium bisglycinate/chelate. And, if it's exceptionally sore, I use the topical transdermal magnesium gel. However, for your frozen shoulder, it may only give you minor and temporary relief since the muscle, needs more 'targeted' attention with a hands-on approach to rehab it.

Hope you get relief soon. I can fully appreciate your dilemma.

Jackie
October 11, 2020 04:50PM
rocketritch

One remedy I have found that seems to have ended my shoulder issues is dead hanging (passive hanging) from a bar fully extended. I hang for about 2 minutes 3 times with breaks in between. In the beginning I did it a couple times a day. Now once a day or every other day seems to do the trick. Dr Kirche recommends 30 second dead hanging 3 times a day.

I would have never thought that something as simple as this would have worked but a friend of mine with shoulder issues for years swears by it.

I second hanging. Dr. Kirche's website & book.

I didn't have a frozen shoulder, but did have a healed torn labrum where the scar tissue was rubbing & catching. The hanging creates more space. Recommended this to a number of friends with shoulder issues and it has helped them, too. I also do the simple exercises he recommends after doing the hanging. I'm traveling & I have my DIY suspension trainer with me (one of three DIY's, plus two TRX's) that I've rigged so I can also use it for hanging. I can anchor from a door, a tree, a horizontal support, or as in where we are staying, carabiner clipped to chains hanging a swinging bench. I almost never leave home without this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2020 04:55PM by GeorgeN.
October 11, 2020 05:07PM
Jackie
bettylou....
There are numerous testimonials in the archived Conference Room #36 report - on Right side vs Left Side that might be helpful if you haven't yet read. [www.afibbers.org]

On the frozen shoulder complication... Eventually, when we are out of the virus dilemma, if you can locate a practitioner who uses The Directional Non-Force Technique,(DNFT) TM give that a try. That technique has made a huge difference in helping me age well 'structurally' and keeps me free from typical aches and pains. I've had physical therapy, massage therapy and traditional chiropractic treatments, but the DNFT (for me) is far out in front for efficacy.
I also work out at the gym with specific weights and routines that help strengthen muscles.

I presume you are supplementing with magnesium... so it's helpful if you take a dose at bedtime. If I have some pain or stiffness at bedtime, I always take a higher dose and use the malate form along with the magnesium bisglycinate/chelate. And, if it's exceptionally sore, I use the topical transdermal magnesium gel. However, for your frozen shoulder, it may only give you minor and temporary relief since the muscle, needs more 'targeted' attention with a hands-on approach to rehab it.

Hope you get relief soon. I can fully appreciate your dilemma.

Jackie

Thanks for all the tips. The funniest sentence of the link was... " Thus, in conclusion VMAFers and those with GERD should not recline while they sleep. That’s a joke. "...

I will check into that DNFT. I currently do "Rolfing" and am working with a feldenkrais PT. Both are small businesses (out of pocket) and just me and the therapist in there. I had been holding off on the PT because of a covid interaction but will likely go back next week. yes I do take the Mg. I do not take those kinds though. I take glycinate .. 200 twice a day and then a random other one some other time of the day. I guess I need to check into all the types. I had been using glycerinate b/c of recommendations from functional doc...
October 11, 2020 06:05PM
bettylou... I'd just continue to take your glycinate form... and if you can tolerate an additional 100 or 200 of the malate, it may give you some relief. As you know, we are all 'unique' in how much and what forms we tolerate so use what you have and even consider 'upping the glycinate form' first to see if 1) you have bowel tolerance and 2) if the additional Mg gives you any muscle relaxing that may help with pain relief. I'm glad you have a FM MD.

Jackie
October 13, 2020 06:37AM
I cannot lay on my left side at all...induces afib almost guaranteed for me. It's been that way for most of the last 20 years. I only sleep on my right side, which is not a problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2020 06:38AM by Sdweller.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login