Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The heart is not a pump. Just a matter of interest.

Posted by Barry G. 
The heart is not a pump. Just a matter of interest.
October 10, 2020 12:50AM
Just come across an artical which states the heart is not a pump and that the blood has its own momentum i.e. According to Steiner, science “sees the heart as a pump that pumps blood through the body. Now there is nothing more absurd than believing this, for the heart has nothing to do with pumping the blood.”

Now if the above could be true then the medical world would appear to be on the wrong track altogether and in the artical it also says the heart actually acts as a 'dam' in the flow of the bloodstream which as its own vortex momentum - think water spiraling down the drain of an hand basin. Apparently this vortex can be monitored in the unborn child prior to its heart becoming fully formed and active.

So if the momentum of the blood vortex induces the physical actions/electrical signals to the heart is there then a case that an unstable blood vortex-flow or whatever creates arrhythmia. I am not an engineer in hydraulics (fluids and pipe systems) but I have seen many pipe works systems with intermittent 'water hammer' were/when the flow is irregular and creates loud banging and movement in the pipework system. Most people will have noticed this in their own domestic water systems.

All just a matter of interest and pause for thought. There are several videos on the internet of 'scientists' explaining this vortex phenomenon. How can there possibly be two different views on such a 'basic' issue?

P.S. I am fully aware there are people out there coming to highly questionable theories but I then again I have always struggled with the fact that the small human heart can pump blood through the resistance of possibly hundreds if not thousands of miles of arteries, veins and minuscule capillaries incorporated in the cardio system

Barry G.
Re: The heart is not a pump. Just a matter of interest.
October 10, 2020 06:27PM
This idea is elaborated on in the book: Human Heart, Cosmic Heart: A Doctor’s Quest to Understand, Treat, and Prevent Cardiovascular Disease by Thomas Cowan, MD, a practitioner of anthroposophical medicine, Steiner advocate (obviously, since Steiner started anthroposophy) and big on the Nourishing Traditions approach to diet. He was not a cardiologist or heart doctor as I far as I can tell and is now retired.

I purchased this book back when I was searching for an afib answer (pre-Natale) but lost interest when I realized that it offered nothing for afib and indeed does not mention afib. It seems to be kind of a spiritual/healing/alternative type view of heart stuff. (I was totally "into" those approaches for my afib, but after trying everything I could from those arenas for 5 years, my afib was just getting worse.)

I emailed Dr. Cowan directly about afib and he responded that he had no answers for it. His exact response was "generally i haven't been successful in resolving A Fib with my approaches, so i'm not sure if i have much to offer here."

(I seem to recall that Dr. Cowan himself had afib, but I'm not sure...)

I am not convinced about the book's idea that the heart is not a pump but rather a "hydraulic ram that serves to create vortices," because i don't know what that means. He doesn't clarify as far as I can tell how the blood moves if not by means of a pump. Does the blood moves on its own, or through some sort of vortex action, or are the arteries pumping the blood?

The book recommends Strophanthus extract for heart problems ("only under the care of a health practitioner who is well versed in its use") plus dietary stuff. I haven't tried Strophanthus. There is a case study on Dr. Cowan's website (https://fourfoldhealing.com/blogs/news/strophanthus-updates) that mentions a patient with afib and other heart issues who improved by taking 40 supplements plus Strophanthus, but doesn't mention whether the afib went away (N=1, etc.).

After my Natale ablation, my afib problems have vanished, so thank you, Dr. Natale.

Cheers,

D

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I think the book has some value in that it asks you to think in different ways than you're used to about the world. However, his digression on pages 103-4 about how long it takes to hear a vocal command and wiggle your finger indicates a lack of scientific understanding...

P.P.S. Why does the forum software underline the word afib in red when I'm typing it? Argggh...
October 11, 2020 12:15AM
The notion that the heart isn't a pump is silly. He must have been trying to make some other point.

DavidK
P.P.S. Why does the forum software underline the word afib in red when I'm typing it? Argggh...

The forum software doesn't do that. It's your web browser. Check your browser's spell check settings.
October 11, 2020 03:57AM
Thanks for your input DavidK. Yes I believe its the same Dr Cowan that I watched on a Utube video. All a bit iffy but still found it interesting as I am always interested in any other reason that afib affects so many with what appears to be no rhyme or reason.

Cheers,
Barry G.
October 11, 2020 04:17AM
Yes Carey I agree that it does seem silly what the Dr claims about the heart not being a pump. After saying that I am a Mechanical Construction Manager on major projects and have overseen many enormous hydraulic systems such as building Chilled Water Systems (Air Conditioning) and Fire Protection Systems etc. In all these systems the main issue is getting the fluid to the most distant points in the system and then get the system in balance with all other points. Never actually calculated how many miles of main pipes and associated branch pipes are in any of these systems but even the largest systems in the world pale into total insignificance compared to the adult humans 60,000 to 100,000 miles of 'pipework' that an heart the size of a fist has to provide blood - thicker than water - with. All very interesting.

Cheers,
Barry G.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login