Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

abbreviations

Posted by colindo 
abbreviations
September 27, 2020 02:03PM
Some posters are using abbreviations like NSR (Normal sinus rhythm) for example, we mostly all know what that means but some people may not.
There are lots of other examples that annoy me, especially when I have to Google for it's meaning when I am halfway through reading the post, and I am sure other members feel the same annoyance, so can we have a list somewhere that we can access easily. We are lay people after all.
Re: abbreviations
September 27, 2020 03:11PM
Good idea Colindo,
We do have an abbreviation section within the main website, but we can add another abbreviation section as well for the forums to make these documents more accessible to both website readers and forum participants alike.

We are in our final count down to launching the long awaited revamp of Afibbers.org website during this coming month of October. And we will add in an abbreviation legend for the forums as well.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers!
Shannon
September 27, 2020 05:45PM
Shannon
Good idea Colindo,
We do have an abbreviation section within the main website

I also think it's a great idea. I always try to spell out medical terms and put the abbreviation in parens on first use (eg, "atrial fibrillation (AF)") so everyone knows what I'm talking about even if it's their first visit here, but not everyone does that and I don't always remember to do so myself.

I don't see an abbreviation index. Where would that be? There's the Medical and Drug Glossary, which is pretty extensive, but it doesn't really cover abbreviations.

Unless I'm overlooking it, I'll be happy to start compiling one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2020 06:25PM by Carey.
September 27, 2020 11:44PM
Carey, can you set up a page so we can add the abbreviations as we come across them. Would that help?
September 28, 2020 12:19AM
Yes Carey, it's the Medical and Drug glossary I was thinking of. ... Let's put together an abbreviation list for the forums that can grow with demand after launching the new site.

Shannon
September 28, 2020 12:37AM
Here is a good starter list; click on the letter of your term or abbreviation:

A-Fib Medical Terms and Abbreviations
September 28, 2020 10:42AM
colindo
Carey, can you set up a page so we can add the abbreviations as we come across them. Would that help?

That's exactly what I had in mind. I'll post a starter list today.
September 28, 2020 11:04AM
AFAIK, IDK my BFF Jill is the most well known abbreviations ever.

[www.youtube.com]
September 29, 2020 03:46PM
Hello Shannon...just checking to see if you recieved my private message?
September 29, 2020 07:41PM
Sdweller
Hello Shannon...just checking to see if you recieved my private message?

I don't know, but Shannon recently had hand surgery and may not be checking or typing much.
September 29, 2020 07:51PM
He's definitely rather handicapped right now when it comes to typing.
September 30, 2020 11:32AM
Oh...I understand....don't want to bother him then!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login