Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just woke up in recovery from my ablation

Posted by susan.d 
Just woke up in recovery from my ablation
September 03, 2020 03:33PM
Natale and team are excellent. This second N ablation I feel so far better than the first last September. Probably less anesthesia because I am awake and alert.
Only discomfort is need to void. I recommend the first ablation of the day.

Still in recovery until my BP goes up. It’s low.

Natale rocks
Re: Just woke up in recovery from my ablation
September 03, 2020 05:09PM
Congratulations Susan! Glad to hear it all went so well!
September 03, 2020 05:23PM
Great to hear Susan!

Take 'er easy ...
Shannon
September 03, 2020 05:56PM
Thank you Kim and Shannon! Without jinxing myself... This ablation was easier for me. Being the first patient I didn’t have to wait. The anesthesia didn’t leave me in a fog or amnesia stupor like last year. Once they wheeled me back to recovery, I was alert. I also spent less time in recovery this time. Last time was until midnight. This time, the second I got to my room, I was told to use the the bathroom. So I walked immediately the second I arrived in my room. Walked twice. Lasix at work. I also ate. Last year I was stuck on my bed until 10am the next day with nothing by mouth.

Overall better so far. Same team -nurses as before.

This time the ablation was shorter and I wasn’t ecv at all. Last time 200, 200, 200 and 300. So no burns.

I owe it all to Natale and his wonderful np Kelley. She wrote orders I should walk and eat. She helped me with my concerns of covid19 (cA has higher rate) by requiring everyone to wear both mask and face shield. Door shut. Sign no entry without both mask and shield.

His np also arranged for me to have a stocked fridge. With over 100 allergies, I cannot eat hospital food. The dietary supervisor asked me for a list and she went to Whole Foods and fully stocked the fridge. Same thing last year’s index ablation.

Im very fortunate to have Natale ablate me. He is like an artist.

I was in af or tachy flutter since weaning off my drugs for the ablation. My hr was so high all night I didn’t sleep a second. I needed the ablation.

I feel perhaps it was better for an ablation when one is in af. As soon as he ablated my LAA, my tachy stopped so he continued onto my CS. During that time my LAA began to fire again and my tachy started again. So he went back to the LAA in total three times during the ablation to ablate.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2020 06:02PM by susan.d.
September 03, 2020 08:25PM
Glad to hear it went well. You seem more positive and upbeat.
September 03, 2020 09:16PM
Great news Susan! Continued good luck!
September 03, 2020 10:08PM
Thank you George! 10 more days of EXA test quarantine (they put packages aside for 14 days once they receive it) before I find out my magnesium score. With a new ablation, I want to keep my magnesium to proper levels to give this touch-up a fair chance. N told me there is a 40% chance for a second LAA. I want, with proper supplements, etc, to be part of the 60% like Carey and many others who were successful with one LAA ablation.

I feel better. I’ve walked the halls, and walked around the room half a dozen times thanks to Lasix but I get tachy when walking. I have a stocked fridge and ate lunch and dinner.

Very very Minor cons-Right plug I don’t feel at all, left plug hurts. 50% better than index where both plugs hurt!
Did anyone get a sore heart afterwards? Not a sharp pain-more just sore plus an elbow pushing down? I’m told it’s common but nobody ever posted it.
September 04, 2020 12:09AM
Atta girl. You’re gonna do great. Virtual hug.
September 04, 2020 12:22AM
susan.d
Did anyone get a sore heart afterwards? Not a sharp pain-more just sore plus an elbow pushing down? I’m told it’s common but nobody ever posted it.

Yeah, some dull chest pain post procedure is very common. It should diminish within a few days.
September 04, 2020 01:17AM
Thanks Carey. Good to know. I’m ignoring it but I was curious.
Thanks Walt for your post.
September 04, 2020 01:21AM
It's very good news !
Being allowed to soon stand up is a great relief too!
I wish you the best.
September 04, 2020 11:10AM
The excellent Natale and NP team came in twenty minutes ago and I am in the process of being discharged. :-) This was an easier ablation. I am so far B”IH feeling great. I have some fluid retention so I’ll take two more doses of lasix post discharge and am looking forward to going home. Great experience from staff and care.
September 04, 2020 12:03PM
GM Susan,

The typically mild to moderate chest pain is basic pericarditis that is fully expected, though for sure some folks feel it more than others. It's very common in any event and is simply due to the reality that you just had a branding iron tattooing very thin lesions in very specific targeted places inside your left and right atria for a few hours.

If you can tolerate Motrin for a few days (and be sure to take it only with food in the stomach), then that chest discomfort should rapidly dissipate over the next few days... and this symptom will almost always be a very transient no big deal experience in hindsight for the vast majority of our forum
members I have followed over the many years.

Great to hear you are doing so well Susan.

Shannon
September 04, 2020 12:28PM
Thank you Shannon for your time on the phone. The discomfort kept me up last night but it’s less noticeable today. Baby steps. Thus a low grade fever (99) my usual temperature is 96-97. I gained 15.3 pounds overnight so I just have to work on the lasix which should help. Otherwise I feel pretty good. Looking forward when the nurse to
find time to fill out my discharge papers so I can go home and take off my n95 mask!

Trivia- I got the same RN nurses and anesthesiologist as before during my first ablation. They said they work as a team 99% on N cases. So from a highly skilled EP, fantastic np down to the RNs, I was in the best hands.
September 04, 2020 01:02PM
Congrats Susan!
September 04, 2020 01:02PM
Hi Susan... So glad you are doing so well, thanks to Dr. Natale and his team.

Jackie
September 04, 2020 01:43PM
Thank you pompon, NLAMA and Jackie!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 01:45PM by susan.d.
September 06, 2020 03:10AM
All the best for your recovery smiling smiley must feel good to have it over and done with!
September 06, 2020 10:39AM
Thank you Will. Just experiencing some blanking hiccups with tachy (supposed to be common) and arrhythmia (also common). Looking forward to feeling better since my HR is improving by today waking up to the 70s after my first night of decent sleep- yay!

The second time around was a day and night better experience in the hospital than the index. I’m grateful and looking forward (once the 118 degree heat wave ends) so I can get back to my outdoor hobbies.
September 07, 2020 06:36AM
Awesome Susan. I pray your second Ablation is as Great as mine has been. Just remember the blanket period. Have a blessed day and I pray for you to have many years of beautiful NSR. These wonderful people led this man to Austin. I am so glad I stumbled onto this website in late 2013. Shannon is such a blessing as are many on this Forum.
Be Smart and take it easy.
September 07, 2020 10:22AM
Thank you smackman!
December 09, 2020 03:17AM
I was on this forum long time ago. Now looks.like I do not understand most of the abbreviations used in description of procedures done. 🥴
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login