Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Update ... and am I doomed?

Posted by SueChef 
Update ... and am I doomed?
August 25, 2020 05:10AM
Here is one of the lab results from today, that is very worrisome to me. The ER Doctors downplayed it and said it was most likely elevated because I had been in such a fast heart rate for over 24 hours. Maybe, maybe not. I figured I would come here and ask the collective brilliant minds what you all think because I'm a lot scared with this lab result!

B type Natriuretic Peptide--my value is 677, but normal value is under 99.

My ER update:
After more than 24 hours with a heart rate in the 150s from Sunday morning to Monday morning, I was told by my EPs nurse to go to the ER and they ordered 12 lead EKG stat. They were waiting for me when I got there ran labs & tests, and frequent EKGs.

I thought sure I was in atrial flutter but they said it might be SVT.

They wanted to try calcium channel blockers but I knew from experience that didn't work for restoring normal rhythm for me so I suggested we go straight to a beta blocker.

If a beta blocker (& incremental increases) didn't work, options were Adenosine or something else (D-something). I asked if the beta blocker doesn't work can we go directly to ecv & was told yes. Thankfully the beta blocker worked but the 2 ER doctors could not give me a definitive diagnosis of flutter or SVT. Hopefully my EP will have an answer for me.

Thanks for any info about that test result I posted.
Re: Update ... and am I doomed?
August 25, 2020 06:56AM
Sue, go to sleep! It’s 3am!
I’m one to talk...still up myself :-)
August 25, 2020 11:26AM
You're not doomed in the least. That's not a surprising finding and not particularly meaningful. About all it says is you're probably peeing a lot. Once the flutter stops, it will go back to normal.

It's impossible to distinguish between flutter and SVT based on just an ECG, so don't expect your EP to be able to answer that question (flutter is actually a type of SVT). The way they distinguish between them is to give you a dose of adenosine. If adenosine terminates it, that's diagnostic for SVT. If it doesn't, it's flutter. The adenosine works immediately if it's SVT and then is gone from your system within seconds, so it's a shame the ER didn't try that while they had the chance.

So your EP might want to try adenosine if it recurs because if it's SVT the solution is a fairly simple ablation procedure, but otherwise there's really no difference between the two. But since the beta blocker worked for you, there's probably no reason to do any of that. In the future you know you can terminate it with BBs.
August 25, 2020 12:49PM
Susan.d, yes, I did finally go to bed & slept well-- no surprise after the days I had!

Carey, as always, thank you for your kind words and medical acumen. I did indeed experience The Big Pee Sunday more than Monday. In the ER, Adenosine was offered as an option, but I wanted to try the beta blocker first & then reevaluate.

So I likely had flutter or ?
August 25, 2020 04:56PM
Carey said:

"It's impossible to distinguish between flutter and SVT based on just an ECG, so don't expect your EP to be able to answer that question"

I am thinking with a legit 10 or 12 lead ECG, one should be able to count the P waves to differentiate between SVT and Flutter, although at a HR of 150 the Flutter would be at 2:1, not as easy as seeing Flutter at 3:1, or 4:1 ratio.
Are you saying it is impossible to be certain?
August 25, 2020 05:16PM
That's a good point. I should have said "difficult" not "impossible." But EPs will still usually rely on an adenosine challenge to make an SVT diagnosis because that's considered proof.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login