Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Natural Stevia and Erythritol AF triggers?

Posted by susan.d 
Natural Stevia and Erythritol AF triggers?
August 09, 2020 03:21PM
Any sound peer evidence it triggers AF/flutter?

Post ablation my AF incidents were 29 days, 26 days and the last one 15 days apart. The only thing I did differently was because of the 100+ weather, drink one to two zero vitamin waters a day and a Whole Foods Fruit punch + Potassium nutrient enhanced water beverage -stevia Extract and monk fruit and apple powder extract with 870mg potassium, vit A, vit E, niacin, B6, b12 and pantothenic acid. Zero carbs, zero sugar including zero alcohol sugars. Actually zero Vitaminwater I have been drinking for years with no AF I’ll effects but recently they added the second sugar substitute Erythritol.

I was ecv Tuesday after 4 days in flutter-af. I’m on day 9 now from last af onset. Any day now :-(. ...since my last ECV and the realization I cannot get too many more ECV...or want more because it’s a 2 day horrible covid19 dodging process with covid19 testing, I stopped the drinks and only drink 10 glasses of water to test my theory which is not scientific. I need to buy time before my AF become permanent.
Ken
Re: Natural Stevia and Erythritol AF triggers?
August 11, 2020 09:17AM
I have had 6 afib episodes since my last ablation in January. I have about 12 ounces of coffee every morning with one packet of Stevia. I see no correlation between the Stevia and afib. My episodes occur after I go to bed, before midnight, and go away in a couple of hours after taking 200 mg of flecainide.
August 11, 2020 11:30AM
Ken- you don’t think it’s the caffeine from the coffee? You are lucky you convert on flecainide. I used to when on flecainide now but since my flecainide overdose I am not allowed to be on flecainide. I’m on Multaq instead and I cannot self convert. If my AF starts on a Friday, I have to suffer until Monday to be covid19 tested and Tuesday for the ecv. 4 days of flutter and AF. Did you get flutter from your ablation? I never had it before the ablation. Just curious.
August 11, 2020 01:20PM
Susan - Perhaps it's not the sweetener but more like too much potassium intake. How much potassium in each drink and how much daily magnesium are you taking? It's known that if intracellular levels of Mg are low, then adding potassium can contribute to shortening the refractory period or the time between beats.

Of course, it’s important for everyone to stay well hydrated, especially in hot weather, and drinking just pure water can do that. Since you have so many sensitivity variables, it would probably be best to forego commercial drinks. Consider the homemade version of magnesium bicarbonate water… aka Waller Water… or since you are in CA, the Adobe Springs water should be available. Here’s directions for the WW
[www.afibbers.org]

On the erythritol, I recall reading that it’s often made from GMO cornstarch… and it’s always best to avoid GMOs.

I certainly hope you start to get relief from all this, Susan. My heart goes out to you.

Jackie
August 11, 2020 02:59PM
Jackie
Susan - Perhaps it's not the sweetener but more like too much potassium intake. How much potassium in each drink and how much daily magnesium are you taking? It's known that if intracellular levels of Mg are low, then adding potassium can contribute to shortening the refractory period or the time between beats.

Of course, it’s important for everyone to stay well hydrated, especially in hot weather, and drinking just pure water can do that. Since you have so many sensitivity variables, it would probably be best to forego commercial drinks. Consider the homemade version of magnesium bicarbonate water… aka Waller Water… or since you are in CA, the Adobe Springs water should be available. Here’s directions for the WW
[www.afibbers.org]

On the erythritol, I recall reading that it’s often made from GMO cornstarch… and it’s always best to avoid GMOs.

I certainly hope you start to get relief from all this, Susan. My heart goes out to you.

Jackie

Jackie- the potassium Of the drink is only 880mg- that’s only 20% of daily requirements. I stopped eating bananas because I was out. Whole food delivery is iffy now to CA covid19. I placed an order for 8 bananas and was lucky I got 7 last night. So I don’t think I’m taking too much potassium. I’m scheduled (flutter permitting) to get labs Thursday.
George (thank you) pointed out that I may not react well to the high sodium count of Wallerwater. Sodium puts me invAF. I don’t even speculate that it “could”...it always does.

I’m now increasing my Magnesium 200mg to 300mg twice a day.

Today was another day (day 8) of living like a decrepit nursing home patient-just sitting on the couch. I didn’t want flutter or AF if I bent over plus I’ve had 28 ecv and my burned skin finally is healed from last Tuesday ecv. I thought about my koi pond. I didn’t even walk outside to feed the fish this past week. They ate algae. I risked af by getting off the couch this morning and walked slowly outside in 72 degree water to feed them. They were starving. One was dead. The act of bending down to unclip the leaf net triggered a 167 hr. Kardia said af. I went inside beyond frustrated and took 300mg of magnesium. Yay! It was the first time I self converted in an hour. I’m still sitting. I don’t want another high hr by standing. This is BS. My local EP thinks I should just stop multaq and take beta blockers to control my hr and live a life of af.
Ken
August 11, 2020 03:27PM
210 days with one coffee per day in the morning. 6 episodes of afib at night (12 - 14 hours later) during those 210 days. Is caffeine a trigger for afib? I think not.
August 12, 2020 09:09AM
Stevia is not a trigger for me. I consume it daily. Neither is erythritol, though I consume it rarely. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be for you. FWIW, coffee grounds aren't a trigger either. I don't drink coffee, but do consume the spent grounds from my wife's coffee as a prebiotic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login