Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Meloxicam vs Naproxen

Posted by Sunshine13 
Meloxicam vs Naproxen
August 07, 2020 10:05AM
Hi Everyone,
I am currently recovering from Covid. One of the after effects is joint and muscle pain. The last few days all my joints and muscle are hurting. I reached out to my primary and he recommended naproxen 500 twice a day . Also my rheumatologist recommended meloxicam . I have tried Tylenol but it’s not helping. On top of everything I don’t want to trigger my a fib. I have paroxysmal a fib. Has anyone ever tried either one of theses ? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated . Thank you. Have a great weekend .
Re: Meloxicam vs Naproxen
August 07, 2020 11:50PM
The problem with NSAIDs and AF isn't that NSAIDs trigger AF. To my knowledge they don't and I've never heard anyone report that they do. The problem is if you have AF you're probably taking an oral anticoagulant (OAC), and all the NSAIDs are known to increase bleeding risk, especially when used long-term or in high dosages.

The advice I've heard from multiple experts is that NSAIDs are okay for short-term use with OACs, but not long-term. By short-term they meant days, not weeks. Maybe a week or so, but not multiple weeks continuously. So don't worry about triggering AF, just keep your usage limited. Maybe do something like a week with the NSAID and then a week off?

As for the two drugs, I'm not sure which would be better but according to drugs.com, meloxicam is the more powerful of the two so I'd be leery of it.
August 08, 2020 10:13AM
I am post successful Natale ablation and have no issue with either. My doctor says meloxicam is supposed to be easier on stomach though I can't say it works better than regular Aleve, I go back and forth.
August 08, 2020 10:51PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question . How long does it take for meloxicam to feel any type of relief ?
August 09, 2020 12:34AM
Sunshine13
How long does it take for meloxicam to feel any type of relief ?

According to drugs.com, peak concentration is reached within 2 hours for capsule form and 4 to 5 hours for tablets. But that's peak concentration, not when you would begin to feel relief. You would probably begin to feel some relief within an hour for capsules and 2 hours for tablets.

In other words, it works like most NSAIDs.
August 09, 2020 07:05AM
I took Meloxicam several years ago. Had allot of eptopics with it so I stopped taking it. I don't remember what the doctor switched me to at the time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login