Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does A-Flutter Heart Rate vary with exertion?

Posted by rhexis 
Does A-Flutter Heart Rate vary with exertion?
August 01, 2020 08:59PM
Does A-Flutter HR vary with exertion?

Is there a way to determine if I am in A-Flutter based on my heart rate’s response to exertion?

That is: We all know that when in NSR the HR goes up with exertion in a dose-response manner. Does A-Flutter do that too? Or is the HR of A-Flutter “locked into” certain discrete rate “packets” like 75, then 150, then 300?

The reason I ask:

I had my index ablation 2 weeks ago. My resting heart rate is now 82 and regular. (It was 72 before the ablation.)

So I figure that my current 82 HR is either: NSR (with a temporary increase in resting heart rate due to the ablation’s stunning of the vagus nerve), or, perhaps my current regular 82 HR is A-Flutter. As you know, my Kardia can’t tell me which.

When I exert myself (pick up a heavy backpack and walk briskly through an airport) my HR goes up to 110 to 115. Does A-Flutter do that? Or is A-Flutter locked into certain ranges only (82 jumps to 164 jumps to 328)?

In other words: If someone was resting in A-Flutter at 82 and exerted themselves would the HR stay at 82?
Re: Does A-Flutter Heart Rate vary with exertion?
August 02, 2020 02:13AM
I think it's pretty much locked in. I suppose if you have flutter with a normal rate (<100 bpm), it's possible that exertion could increase it, but it never worked that way for me. I experienced flutter at several rates over the years, one of them being 120, and I actually tried to get my HR over that with exercise because I'd found that exertion could sometimes terminate my faster flutter rate. Despite doing things I knew with certainty would get my HR over 120 in NSR, it never budged.

Keep in mind that a slow HR in flutter is usually due to heart disease -- a diseased AV node in particular -- because the only reason flutter would be slow is because the AV node can't respond fast enough to transmit every atrial beat. So unless you've been diagnosed with things a lot more serious than AF, I think you're worrying about nothing. It's just the usual increased HR following ablation. If you want proof, you'll need a 12-lead ECG and a cardiologist.
Re: Does A-Flutter Heart Rate vary with exertion?
August 02, 2020 11:49AM
Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

I will assume all is well unless I get sudden onset of a very regular heart rate around 150 (that would be A-flutter, or at least one presentation of it).

I am in the process of changing jobs and moving (thanks Covid-19) so that is why I haven’t yet established a relationship with a new cardiologist to manage my after-ablation care. Hence all my current second-guessing self diagnosis.

Working on it. At least I was able to drive from Pennsylvania to Austin to consult the oracle. That is the one of the few positive things that has happened in this crazy year of 2020.

I am so thankful to this forum from which I learned about Dr. Natale and his world-class ablation skills and state-of-the-art EP lab center. Great experience. No regrets.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login